• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasChris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2016
    Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me identify this gun sight. I believe it is from WW1. Measures 4" X 1.5"

20160116_161406.jpg 20160116_161419.jpg

I appreciate your help!
    Texas SOT

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That is cool. I am curious too.

It reminds me of the sight on a ground to air gun, like the gun Cuba Gooding Jr. used in the movie Pearl Harbor. Not exactly the same but just similiar.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Too small for a AAA gun sight. I don't even think it is a gun sight by its size and design. Outside of that, I have no idea what it could be...

What makes you think it's from WWI? Are there any markings on it?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    To explain why I don't think it's a WWI gun sight, this is a Browning M-1919A4 Anti-Aircraft Sight Assembly. You can see it is completely different...

MU1917.jpg

Do a Google image search on 'WWI Anti-Aircraft Sight Assembly' and you won't see anything like what you have.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I am pretty confident it is a gun sight. But, to what, I have not a clue. Thanks for your ideas.

Again, what makes you think it's a gun sight, and one from from WWI? As I've asked, are there any markings on it?

Being "confident" isn't the same as being right. If you really believe it is, tell us why or what evidence you have to support that theory. I have yet to find anything remotely close to it, so I am curious as to how you came to that conclusion...

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    Again, what makes you think it's a gun sight, and one from from WWI? As I've asked, are there any markings on it?

Being "confident" isn't the same as being right. If you really believe it is, tell us why or what evidence you have to support that theory. I have yet to find anything remotely close to it, so I am curious as to how you came to that conclusion...

He probably developed his opinion after seeing something like the photo below (or any one of dozens of similar readily-accessible photos) on the internet. I think it is overall too small an apparatus to be used in an aviation defense or anti-aircraft mode, but I don't know for certain either. The aperture at the opposite end from the crosshairs does indicate (to me) that it is a sight of some sort. Recoilless rifle?

DSC_5175.jpg http://www.vg-photo.com/articles/b25flight.html

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I found this.

2f8bc9168f41f67633e8817c288552be.jpg

It seems the OP is on the right track. It might be a one off prototype that never caught on. Its true origin may never be found.

One end reminds me of an AR sight where you flip up the center for a more accurate shot but flip down for faster sight use. Just pop the cap off.

TexasChris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2016
    The reason why I believe it is a gun site is because it came from an estate in which I purchased this old WW1 canteen. Inside were all of these military objects including a WW1 German Cross. A WW1 German Trench Art piece and other items. There was also a WW1 German belt buckle inside.

20160117_183408.jpg

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    While it does resemble an aperture of some kind, the lack of adjustment means it's either an ordinance sight of some type, or missing parts. That's if it is a gun sight to begin with.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    If you haven't already, i would check with various militria oriented forums.

I doubt its a gun sight, but what do i know

TexasChris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2016
    There is 5 holes drilled in the bottom at the end of the sight. I guess you would look through the small hole and perhaps adjust (missing pieces) while looking through circle?

Top Bottom