• dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Well it finally happened to us. This year our county (Roberston) will have the 13" rule in place. Has anybody on TGT, been under this rule for any amount of time? Or maybe you know of someone who's hunting property has had to comply with this rule. I'm tring to get some first hand experience with this antler restriction rule.

Personally I don't have a problem with it. I'd shoot a hog a lot quicker than I would a deer. Besides, I think I have more fun getting ready for deer season and the laughs I have with my friends in camp, then actually shooting an animal.
    Target Sports

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    It's usually for good reason so I'd be glad they're something being done about population control, in both directions.

I grew up knowing you'd better see at least 4 tines and be clear they're big enough before you ever even think about raising your gun. Many years later, you could buy doe permits which seemed really strange.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Not that big a deal really. General rule is if they extend beyond the ears you are ok. I dont hunt antlers anyway. They dont taste very good and are kind of tough.

Boxer99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    Florida
    I just hunted in Robertson County. My buddy shot a very nice 8-point that was much bigger than all the other bucks we saw. When he measured the inside spread, it was 3/8" over the minimum. I would say be very careful before squeezing the trigger on a buck. Most of the deer in the area, even in the racks looks good, are smaller than what a ruler would show.
    I don't like the new rule. I agree that most bucks in the county are being shot before they can mature, but this new rule means you have to guess on 13" at 80 to 200 yards. It's impossible. The "look at the size of the ears" test is not bad, but I guarantee that it's not perfect. The deer in the county are just not that big--you can meet the ears test and still end up shooting an illegal deer. In my humble opinion, they need a more objective test: you look at a deer, and he either makes it or not. This business about guesstimating is bad.
    If people comply, it should produce higher quality deer though, after a few years.

surfcowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Bryan
    Hey Guys

I'm new to the site. I just heard about this new law from another fourm mainly for fishing. I'm getting ready to come back from Iraq. I get to hunt the last week of hunting season. the deer don't seem to be that big in brazos county. well at least the ones I have seen. I also have done alot of public land hunting up around lake limestone. I have only seen a limited amount of deer there. But it could have changed since i haven't hunted there in 5 years. Well I hope this helps make bigger bucks.

I did wounder about a few things though. I have seen a few spikes well i don't know if they are spikes since one of the deer had 20 points but the antlers branched like nomral. Dose that still count as a spike?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Hey Guys

I'm new to the site. I just heard about this new law from another fourm mainly for fishing. I'm getting ready to come back from Iraq. I get to hunt the last week of hunting season. the deer don't seem to be that big in brazos county. well at least the ones I have seen. I also have done alot of public land hunting up around lake limestone. I have only seen a limited amount of deer there. But it could have changed since i haven't hunted there in 5 years. Well I hope this helps make bigger bucks.

I did wounder about a few things though. I have seen a few spikes well i don't know if they are spikes since one of the deer had 20 points but the antlers branched like nomral. Dose that still count as a spike?

If at least one antler is unbranched, it is a spike.

mightyp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    ft worth
    we've had it marion cty for awhile, just got it in stephens cty, doesn't really bother me, if you want meat shoot a doe, if you want a trophy shoot a big buck, let the little guys go.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Sorry.....but if it's my land, they've got NO business tellin' me what game can be taken. I know it's not a popular stance, but I'm WAYYYY tired of government insertion onto my property.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Sorry.....but if it's my land, they've got NO business tellin' me what game can be taken. I know it's not a popular stance, but I'm WAYYYY tired of government insertion onto my property.

I will play the devils advocate here on this one.

Are the deer your property just because they come on your property?
    I would have to say they are the peoples property.

Not like the Kings deer but more like mine, yours, and everyone's deer.
    And as such we the people have asked the State to ensure that they are managed in such a way that we have some for future generations.

Now on the other hand if the herd is sitting smack dab in the middle of 5,000 acres and never moved that may be another issue.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Ummm.....yes - they are. The peoples property stops at my property line - unless you're prepared to say that any water flow, air flow, etc. should be the same. I've put a lot of thought into this over the years - and ultimately, yeah - they belong to the landowner. I have no issue with saying that he can't be cruel, can't kill and leave - but if they're on his land, they belong to him. Doing otherwise has given us the wardens that will sneak onto your land and look for violations WITHOUT search warrants. Imagine being in a blind as someone sneaks out of the brush, not only ruining your hunt, but putting himself in a helluva position of getting shot.
    Or a warden coming up to you demanding to check capacity of your shotgun. NOT because he's heard you shooting more than 3 consequetive rounds, but because he "has the authority".
    Now don't get me wrong - there are outstanding wardens - 99% of 'em are - but just one can mess it up, and THEY are out there, too. I used to strongly advocate their extraordinary powers, but no longer - it's time to really push back against the rising tide of expanding authority, IMO.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    I think antler restrictions are likely to be frustrating in the short term, but beneficial to us all in the long run--if the poachers and other folks who think they can do whatever the heck they want don't offset the improvement in deer populations.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    almost all the hunter/land owners i know feel that way.. their land their game they shoot what they want...but they never waste there will be times when they bring a deer home everyday. but when im out with any of them its all we eat. pretty much
    they way i feel is if you eat it and arent just out there killing to kill, then its fine with me...

shane77624

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Well, I fought tooth and nail to keep it out of our counties but I finally lost out. I could care less what the deer have for headgear as long as I can put them in my freezer. Here in east Tx we may only see two or three deer a season and it is just not cool to have to let 'em walk b/c their antlers aren't wide enough. I don't have a problem shooting does, but you may not see any.

Regardless of what the State tries to tell ya, it is all about money. They (being the state) are trying to grow bigger deer to pull in more hunters for more money. Like it or not, that's the truth.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Sure, it'll cut back on the harvest, but I think a one buck rule would do the same thing.

The one buck rule does cut back on the harvest. The 13" rule, IIRC is suppose to help the quality (more mature bucks) of the deer herd in the area. From what I've read, it takes about 5 years under this rule when you should be seeing more mature bucks (w/bigger racks) running around instead of only seeing these small basket racks. Of course I've never talked to anybody who's lease has been under the 13" rule for 5 years. I'll let you know in 4 years if this has worked in our county.

shane77624

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    I'm not too interested in mature bucks, just more. Heck, even more does would be appreciated. If I could take two doe each year I'd be a happy camper.

Top Bottom