• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    So I am getting ready to reload for my 22 hornet in my TC contender. Bought some 40 grain sierra's (already have 50 grain Vmax). But before I go any further, I noticed that the "22 hornet" sierra's I bought are .223 diameter while according to what I have found, most newer 22 hornets are .224 diameter bullets.

Apparently the older 22 hornet rifles used .223. Does anyone know if I can safely use the .223 in my contender? Expect satisfactory results?

Thanks in advance.
    Hurley's Gold

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I am unsure on the age. It is a 14 inch and made by TC. I couldn't find a serial number on the barrel.
    Yeah they don't have numbers.
    Anything T/C should be .224
    My old T/C load data book is all .224 with exception of the 22 Jet.

Attachments

• 16488561298894320824217907285378.jpg
      16488561298894320824217907285378.jpg
      668.4 KB · Views: 58

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    Back in the olden days (say, the 60s and before, maybe the 70s), the Hornet used .223" groove diameter barrels; I forget the reasoning, though. Everyone that I'm aware of used .224" groove diameter barrels these days. To answer the OPs question, yes, he can safely use .223" bullets. Accuracy won't be great, more than likely, but it won't hurt anything.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Shot my first hog with a hornet. I've been obsessed ever since. I don't have one but am I the prowl for a Ruger 77/22 hornet. If I see one it is mine and I'll buy the dies shortly after.

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    I was able to reach out to the guy from whom I bought my contender. He said he use .223 in his hornet rifle with no issues. Said he even had good accuracy. But I will give it a shot. pun intended. :)

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I've shot the hornet quite a bit, both it and the K-Hornet. As stated above, you can certainly use the .223 bullets, and accuracy will likely be ok.
    They are capable of good to excellent accuracy. I had a TC 16" barrel carbine that shot VERY well, but I wanted a slightly longer barrel, so I went with a 20" Bullberry barrel in K-Hornet. It was an honest minute of angle, or less little gun.
    I started with an HR topper in regular hornet, went to the TC in regular hornet, then K-Hornet. I sold the TC a few years back because I wasn't getting out and shooting it much. I missed it so much that I bought another HR Topper in regular hornet a couple of years ago.
    I had, for a very short time, a Ruger in the stainless heavy barrel version. I was not impressed with its accuracy, so I moved it along.

For reloading, the two best powders are AA-1680 and Hodgdon Lil Gun. For top velocities, it's nearly unanimously the Lil Gun... right around 13 grains of either, but develop what works in your gun... the Remington 6 1/2 primers work very nicely in those little cases. I know of some people even using small pistol primers with good success, but I don't know if I'd use them for really hot loads...

Bracko

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2022
    Illinois
    Recently inherited a 77/22 22 hornet. My grandpa reloaded so I got the dies and a rock chucker. He had already reloaded a bunch of rounds and I trust his reloads so I don’t need to load any soon. In central Illinois the most your shooting is coyote, fox and maybe ground hogs. Feral hogs are a few counties to the south and not here yet.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I imagine you can kill nearly any animal with nearly any caliber, but if I intended to use the hornet to shoot hogs, I think I'd go with a hard cast bullet, loaded to "pretty zippy". At the least I'd use a FMJ bullet, and plan on head shots.
    Hogs are tough, and bullets designed for the hornet are usually pretty explosive.
    Unless you head shoot them (in the right place) the hornet is going to be marginal. Not that it won't work, but just be aware that the hog might just look at you and run off.

I had intended to try my K Hornet on our small whitetails, but never got the chance. I planned to use hard cast, and take nothing but a head shot. Anything else, I would pass up. There's just not a lot of excess power there.
    I did kill a coyote with mine, using a VMax bullet, and the bullet blew up on a bone trying to get into the chest cavity. It killed the coyote, but it wasn't very decisive...

I have taken turkeys, jackrabbits, and several crows with it, all with great success, though.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Shot my first hog with a hornet. I've been obsessed ever since. I don't have one but am I the prowl for a Ruger 77/22 hornet. If I see one it is mine and I'll buy the dies shortly after.

I have dies and brass for sale. And maybe some 40g bullets I’d throw in the deal.

Top Bottom