• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawi jm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Just curious if there were any people on here with experience with the 458 SOCOM round chambered in a AR? Good, not so good? Waste of time/money? I guess I should state that unless the SHTF, this will be for killing paper only.
    ARJ Defense ad

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Fun to shoot, but very specific target audience. If youre hog hunting it would make a good platfrom, but for general paper punching I'd stick with 223. In a SHTF situation the last thing you need is a nonstandard caliber that few people stock and nobody carries.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm still trying to figure out why they didn't just chamber the gun, it and the .50 Beowulf, in .500 S&W. The .50 Beowulf is essentially a .500 S&W, putting the cases next to each other they have nearly the same height and case size. The only difference being the rim diameter (since .50 Beowulf is elongated .50 AE).

.458 falls into the same category. You have .223 and .308 widely available which are more than capable rounds.

flashguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    I have a .458 SOCOM barrel that is 10.5" long, and it is presently mounted on my CAR-15 gun (which is registered on a Form 4, so I can have a short barrel on it). I have to admit that I've only fired 4 cartridges through it, but it worked fine and I hit what I aimed at. The recoil was not anything to write home about. (Actually, my first shot(s) were with the gun on "auto" and it fired 2 cartridges so fast I could hardly tell there were 2; the muzzle stayed on target, too. I was impressed.)

flashguy

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I have a .458 SOCOM barrel that is 10.5" long, and it is presently mounted on my CAR-15 gun (which is registered on a Form 4, so I can have a short barrel on it). I have to admit that I've only fired 4 cartridges through it, but it worked fine and I hit what I aimed at. The recoil was not anything to write home about. (Actually, my first shot(s) were with the gun on "auto" and it fired 2 cartridges so fast I could hardly tell there were 2; the muzzle stayed on target, too. I was impressed.)

flashguy

Are you running it compensated / with a muzzle brake?

kawi jm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Thats odd, because that is contrary to everything I have heard about the cartridge. I've heard the recoil was at least equal or more than a Socom II M14 in 308.

flashguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    I didn't say it was light, just not exceptional. If you think a .308 is heavy recoil, then you probably are not ready for the .458 SOCOM.

flashguy

Top Bottom