Any advice for shooting with bifocals?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Greg_TX, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Greg_TX

Greg_TX Well-Known

Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    So I joined the bifocal club a few months ago, and one thing I'm having problems with is focusing on the front sight of my pistol without losing all focus on the target. If I shift my focus to the target then the front sight is a mess. I've tried tilting my head one way or another to look through the best spot of the lens but it's still annoying. Any ideas?

2. usmcpmi

usmcpmi Active Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Greg, Welcome to the "Club" Go to Walgreens and get a pair of old man reading glasses, that put things in perfect focus at arms length. That way you can see the front sight. Don't worry about the target being out of focus, it is supposed to be! Concentrate on the sight alignment and the front sight tip. You will be good to go. MG

3. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    I'm 24, and I can't even see the middle of the target.

My vision isn't great, but I focus on the front sight and aim in the middle of the blurr.

Seems to work pretty well.

4. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    You might talk to your eye doctor. There may be a middle of the road prescription that will help that. Similar to the ones they now make for computer work.

5. Lobo_79

Lobo_79 Member

May 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Keeping the sights in focus, particularly your front sight, is very important. It's okay if the target is out of focus ~ within limits of coarse. I have the same problem and so I added Red Dot sights to my longer range target pistols. I use the Burris FastFire II on my Beretta and a Nikon Variable Dot sight on my S&W M627. My carry guns still have conventional iron sights.

Red Dot sights may not be for everybody but they helped me a lot. I can now have a focused dot and a sharp target when using the distance portion of my bifocals.

A friend has taken a different approach. He says it works for him. He had a special pair of glasses made. One lens contained his distance prescription and the other his close up. By shooting with both eyes open he gets both sharply focused sights and a clear target. I've not tried that, but hey, it might work.

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't see how that'd work. It's physically impossible to have a clear target and clear sights. The eyes don't work that way. Even if you could get the eyes to work independently, you'd have no depth perception.

7. rodbender

rodbender Active Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    Wouldn't it be the same as having lasik for bifocals? My buddy says one eye was done for close up and the other for distance and he sees very well, close and distance at the same time.

8. bvillars

bvillars Member

Feb 22, 2009
    that is how they did my contacts

9. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You might have improved vision, but I don't think it's possible to have the eyes focus on two independent planes.

10. Maxpower

Maxpower Active Member

May 26, 2009
    I have seen these recommended on shooting usa - you stick one on at the top portion of your shooting glasses and it magnifies your sight view. the come in various strengths. at drugstores, wally world ~$11

OPTX 20/20 Stick-On BifocalsOther products by OPTX 20/20

Price:$7.00 - $35.00 Sale:$24.99 on Stick On Reading Lenses Power: +1.25, Stick On Reading Lenses Power: +1.50, Stick On Reading Lenses Power: +2.75, Stick On Reading Lenses Power: +3.00