Any AR assemblers in Austin area?

Jason

Well-Known
Apr 20, 2008
Austiin area
Want to spend some of my $$$ so you can have fun assembling one?

Or help me with it... haven't really decided on a budget yet...

Where are the places in a build that cheaper options do not lower the overall quality of the finished piece?

Also, I don't mind going cheaper on some parts up front and upgrading later if the savings up front are decent.

To give you an example I don't know how much I would even shoot this thing once built... I have an SKS that I bought when I was 18 that I have never even chambered a round... I'm 35 now, so I'm not a huge long gun fan, but the AR seems to be an easier project than a full on 1911 build.

TSU45

Jun 6, 2008
San Marcos, Tx
The cheapest is in kit form with the upper already assembled. You can build one completely from scratch exactly the way you want it, but it will end up costing more than a comparable quality pre-built upper kit.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
Jan 21, 2009
San Antonio
The cheapest is in kit form with the upper already assembled. You can build one completely from scratch exactly the way you want it, but it will end up costing more than a comparable quality pre-built upper kit.
And if you go this route, it's very easy to assemble an AR-15. You don't "build" them unlike AKs.

AR-15s are the Snap-Tite models (Skill Level 1!) of the gun world. You can get by without any specialized tools when assembling them so long as you go with an assembled upper.

If you really need help, though, and feel like driving your parts over here to San Antonio, I'm sure we can arrange some help for you.

biglucky

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Feb 3, 2009
Dripping Springs, TX
I wouldn't mind helping you. I have assembled a number of lowers and could give you a hand. I would print out and follow the same instructions off of AR15.com that you could download to do it yourself.

Ranger60

Mar 28, 2008
Taylor
I just picked up an upper and will be doing the lower assembly starting with a stripped lower. This is a first for me also, but everything I read says it's not that difficult. Now, next step is to find a stripped lower.

What have you purchased so far?

I am in South Austin.

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
Check this video series out:

Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories and Gunsmithing Tools

It has videos you can watch online for free and they walk you through every single step to assemble it from the ground up. The lower is a piece of cake. The upper gets tricky because you need a few proper tools to get the barrel in and torqued down properly so that you don't warp or damage the upper receiver.

Jason

Well-Known
Apr 20, 2008
Austiin area
It has begun...

I bought a RRA stripped lower in San Marcos of all places today... out the door for $140.73.

Was that a good deal?

biglucky

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Feb 3, 2009
Dripping Springs, TX
It has begun...

I bought a RRA stripped lower in San Marcos of all places today... out the door for $140.73.

Was that a good deal?
These days getting your hands on a stripped lower is a good deal.. Now did you get a parts kit, because they are even harder to come by.

Jason

Well-Known
Apr 20, 2008
Austiin area
Good deal on the RRA, was it a shop and do they have more?
Yes, and Yes...

I was happy since I didn't have to pay shipping and FFL transfer fees...

$130 plus $10.73 tax

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads