• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Want to spend some of my $$$ so you can have fun assembling one?

Or help me with it... haven't really decided on a budget yet...

Where are the places in a build that cheaper options do not lower the overall quality of the finished piece?

Also, I don't mind going cheaper on some parts up front and upgrading later if the savings up front are decent.

To give you an example I don't know how much I would even shoot this thing once built... I have an SKS that I bought when I was 18 that I have never even chambered a round... I'm 35 now, so I'm not a huge long gun fan, but the AR seems to be an easier project than a full on 1911 build.
    Target Sports

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    The cheapest is in kit form with the upper already assembled. You can build one completely from scratch exactly the way you want it, but it will end up costing more than a comparable quality pre-built upper kit.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The cheapest is in kit form with the upper already assembled. You can build one completely from scratch exactly the way you want it, but it will end up costing more than a comparable quality pre-built upper kit.

And if you go this route, it's very easy to assemble an AR-15. You don't "build" them unlike AKs.

AR-15s are the Snap-Tite models (Skill Level 1!) of the gun world. You can get by without any specialized tools when assembling them so long as you go with an assembled upper.

If you really need help, though, and feel like driving your parts over here to San Antonio, I'm sure we can arrange some help for you.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I wouldn't mind helping you. I have assembled a number of lowers and could give you a hand. I would print out and follow the same instructions off of AR15.com that you could download to do it yourself.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    I just picked up an upper and will be doing the lower assembly starting with a stripped lower. This is a first for me also, but everything I read says it's not that difficult. Now, next step is to find a stripped lower.

What have you purchased so far?

I am in South Austin.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Check this video series out:

Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories and Gunsmithing Tools

It has videos you can watch online for free and they walk you through every single step to assemble it from the ground up. The lower is a piece of cake. The upper gets tricky because you need a few proper tools to get the barrel in and torqued down properly so that you don't warp or damage the upper receiver.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    It has begun...

I bought a RRA stripped lower in San Marcos of all places today... out the door for $140.73.

Was that a good deal?

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    These days getting your hands on a stripped lower is a good deal.. Now did you get a parts kit, because they are even harder to come by.

They had the DPMS LPK, but I think I am going to go with one of two upgraded kits with some stainless parts and then further upgrading that kit with some parts suggested by Charles.

I am not in a hurry to have her completed so I can take my time, watch for deals, spend a little here and a little there until she's ready for final assembly.

Her name will be Peacekeeper...

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Today at the gun show in South Austin I added the following.

Ergonomic grip
    Car length quad rail
    Carry handle (I had to have this from my childhood dreams of having my own "M16")
    Collapsible stock

LPK and KNS pins next on the agenda...

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    One of the vendors at the Austin show had DPMS LPKs for $75. AR parts were plentiful, lowers stripped and complete, uppers stripped and complete and almost every thing you need to build an AR except the barrel.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    One of the vendors at the Austin show had DPMS LPKs for $75. AR parts were plentiful, lowers stripped and complete, uppers stripped and complete and almost every thing you need to build an AR except the barrel.

Yes, I was going to get an "upgraded LPK" with stainless parts, but after talking to one of the smiths there I think I may go back to a DPMS LPK and all of the KNS pins I wanted... maybe a chromed trigger down the road.

I am now thinking the stainless parts might not be best suited to my rifle now.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Just got a call from a gun store in Texas that has a 1st Anv. GSG that looks like the MP5... I think my AR project is on hold since I think I am going to pick up the little .22 on Thursday.

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    Just got a call from a gun store in Texas that has a 1st Anv. GSG that looks like the MP5... I think my AR project is on hold since I think I am going to pick up the little .22 on Thursday.

Or you could finish your AR and get a .22 conversion for it. :cool:

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Or you could finish your AR and get a .22 conversion for it. :cool:

I will likely do that too... but I am a sucker for anything with the words Limited and Edition in it...

I am going to pick up the GSG tomorrow if they still have it!!!

Now if I can wheel and deal, trade, etc some of the random stuff I have for cash or parts I would be able to build the AR faster...

Knowing me I will spend stupid amounts of money collecting parts for the AR so that I can have the lower EXACTLY the way I want it and then upgrade the outer parts later...

I want ALL KNS pins, chrome stuff inside, etc...

upgraded spring kits, etc... so if I can find all those parts first I would likely be able to order just the individual parts I need to complete rather than a complete LPK and upgrade... however if a good deal comes along on a LPK I will get it and save the leftover parts for spares or a budget build... who knows....

Top Bottom