• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    2. What "museum" are you talking about? There is small base museum that follows the history of Lackland and basic training, but if you're talking about the Security Police/Forces museum, it's been closed for a while.

The Air Force History and Traditions Museum encompasses all of the aircraft static displays, and also has a small indoor display on-base. Or at least used to - it's been about 15 years since I was able to visit. From a brief web search, it looks like they may have reorganized things a bit and rolled the displayed aircraft into one or more newer museums.
    Target Sports

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    DC will be the best view of the SR-71. Plus all the other aircraft on display. I spent two days there. Not every day that you can stand under a shuttle.
    a3ae083629c4ae43fe9435bc9770a4af.jpg

8153a8acb417ec9c360b1e5561ccf0c0.jpg

85d506b5a03f0e60e78d38e03008144c.jpg

e6e335ba978d3a169150d561c5ca0521.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    Back in around 83 I was TDY to Wright-Pat and my wife was visiting for the weekend. We wandered over to one of the annexes (Wright-Pat had 5 or 6 separate areas then) on Sunday afternoon and found an area where they stored aircraft needing to get fixed up for exhibits. IIRC, one of them was a YF-12, the interceptor test variant, We spent a couple of hours walking around and climbing up on the aircraft. I’m sure it’s all locked down now,

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Back in around 83 I was TDY to Wright-Pat and my wife was visiting for the weekend. We wandered over to one of the annexes (Wright-Pat had 5 or 6 separate areas then) on Sunday afternoon and found an area where they stored aircraft needing to get fixed up for exhibits. IIRC, one of them was a YF-12, the interceptor test variant, We spent a couple of hours walking around and climbing up on the aircraft. I’m sure it’s all locked down now,

The National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB has YF-12 06935 on prominent display along with dozens of other rare and not-so-rare aircraft. Currently, it appears that the YF-12 is parked between the XB-70 Valkyrie, the TACIT BLUE demonstrator, and the YF-23 in the Space and R&D Gallery with its nose tucked under the XB-70. One thing that becomes apparent in this video, unfortuately, is how rarely the aircraft on display are dusted.

Also, worth noting - the YF-12 program was a complete success. The Air Force placed an order for 96 F-12B production aircraft with Lockheed. SecDef Robert McNamara, in one of his patented brilliant decisions, refused to complete the deal, which killed the program. The two surviving prototypes went on to have a successful test career with NASA for over a decade with the loss of one aircraft, and the sole survivor is the one on display at NMUSAF.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    DC will be the best view of the SR-71. Plus all the other aircraft on display. I spent two days there. Not every day that you can stand under a shuttle...

Have to disagree, my friend. The Strategic Air Command Museum between Omaha and Lincoln holds the honor the distinction of the best view of a Blackbird!

1657678936323.png

Of course, the beauty of the one at Lackland is you can walk around and touch any part of it you can reach!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Is the one at Huntsville still on display?
    I was surprised at how small it really is.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Is the one at Huntsville still on display?
    I was surprised at how small it really is.

Far as I know it is, but there are...issues. First, they label it as an SR-71, it's apparently bearing markings the YF-12's wore during NASA testing, but it's an A-12. A-12's were the first generation, CIA-operated, single-seat hotrod Blackbirds and none were ever flown by NASA or the Air Force.

Even worse, some dipshit painted it glossy dark blue. At least they have the correct tail number on it...even if it is in an incorrect font.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Over 4 decades I've been around the far north end of Lake Livingston and never saw a float plane until yesterday when there were 3. They did about 8 touch n goes. For orientation I'm standing on FM 356 @ White Rock creek, view north.

Sorry about the poor quality.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Over 4 decades I've been around the far north end of Lake Livingston and never saw a float plane until yesterday when there were 3. They did about 8 touch n goes. For orientation I'm standing on FM 356 @ White Rock creek, view north.

Single Engine Air Tankers.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

Firefighting tankers from the Forest Service. The "touch and go" maneuver fills their tanks with lake water, which they then dump on the fire. Three identical ones were pulling water from Cedar Creek Lake to fight a wildfire a few miles from my house yesterday. Depending on the time of day it could very well be the same three - the air tankers left the fire up here in the afternoon once they got it 75% contained so they could respond to other fires.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I took Todd's "air tanker" verbiage too literal, I do that on occasion .. lol

@toddnjoyce & @General Zod nailed it. There was a fire yesterday @9 miles north from where I recorded. They had one same area (Glendale) 2-3 weeks ago, certainly the 'necks aren't ignoring burn bans. :rolleyes:

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    TFR was in place today. Was planning on flying to Huntsville tomorrow. Not if this is still active. It’s right at final for the south runway.
    I'd love to see your hot rod in person and am @40min from airport. Maybe after it cools a bit though.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    7bd8dff2e23f4ad523d14dd64a773645.png

TFR was in place today. Was planning on flying to Huntsville tomorrow. Not if this is still active. It’s right at final for the south runway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Semms like enough space to do a short approach out of proper downwind leg.
    Have you called the controlling agency (in this case TX Forest Service) to ask them if they restrict traffic pattern operations at UTS?
    TFRs so close to airports should really have some exceptions spelled out than having pilots guess. It would be safer for everyone.

Btw, where do they go for water? No lake really close. Or do they use powder for the firefighting?

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Semms like enough space to do a short approach out of proper downwind leg.
    Have you called the controlling agency (in this case TX Forest Service) to ask them if they restrict traffic pattern operations at UTS?
    TFRs so close to airports should really have some exceptions spelled out than having pilots guess. It would be safer for everyone.

Btw, where do they go for water? No lake really close. Or do they use powder for the firefighting?

They were filling at Lake Livingston it appears. Not knowing the fire conditions and if there was smoke. Just better to drive. Plus I don’t have flaps so I come in hot. I usually fly wide patterns to bleed speed off.

W

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    They were filling at Lake Livingston it appears. Not knowing the fire conditions and if there was smoke. Just better to drive. Plus I don’t have flaps so I come in hot. I usually fly wide patterns to bleed speed off.

W
    No flaps? That's no fun.
    I know how to bleed the speed off quick. And altitude too.
    You know what they say: if you wanna go up, pull on the stick. If you wanna go down, pull more. :D

I assume that thing is slick and slippery and does not shed speed easily, huh. Nice toy, jealous. Always admired the design.

Anyway, next time I'm around KIWS, I might msg you and I'd love to see her too. I'll bring the beer.

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    We had our quarterly fire chiefs meeting last night and the state Forest Service regional rep said they have the most air assets he remembers in state right now.

Top Bottom