• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Are those white bee clothes bee keepers wear sting proof? One guy told me it wasnt. He said bees didnt like white clothes so they dont try to sting it. Any truth or just slinging the bull At me?

The clothes are not sting-proof however the white [light] color has shown to be helpful. Bees are attracted to attacking (& stinging) dark areas - think bear's mouths and eyes. It's not a question of the bees "not liking white" - probably has more to do with their being able to detect motion. They see in the ultraviolet spectrum and are attracted to movement and light colors tend to help camouflage in this regard. Only "worker bees" (all infertile females) can sting human skin; the males (drones) don't have stingers and the queen bee's stinger won't penetrate human skin (she only uses her stinger to kill rivals). And unlike wasps, honeybees can only sting once; the act of stinging also kills the bee. Africanized honeybees actually have about a quarter less venom than European honeybees; what makes them so dangerous is their much higher degree of defensive behavior (which can't really be "bred out" since it's the dominate gene).

Sent from my Apple thing

Last edited:

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    If anything bees can at least make good home defense. I always imagined if I had one and someone was trespassing I'd fire a beanbag round at the side of the hive and let the bees run him off for me!
    That might actually work at the right time of year and the right variety of honey bee. I knew an old timer who is dead and gone now that would put his hives in front of his door when he went on vacation. This plays off natural fear more than anything but could work to a degree

MarkTheNewf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Not
    Zombie thread aleart! Did somebody say mead? Yeah, I do a bit of that.

Boozework.jpg

goodstuff.jpg

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    No, I hate bugs. But anytime I see someone selling raw honey on the side of the road I buy some. It's tasty and good for me.

itchin,

You ought'a try SOURWOOD BLOSSOM HONEY, out of West Texas. = It's so thick & DARK that it is an EXCELLENT substitute for MOLASSES in a lot of baked goods.
    (People often asks me what is "different " about my gingerbread. = It's just the SOURWOOD HONEY.)

I also mix it 50-50 with clover honey for waffles/pancakes, etc., too.

yours, satx

miniion26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2020
    Highlands
    itchin,

You ought'a try SOURWOOD BLOSSOM HONEY, out of West Texas. = It's so thick & DARK that it is an EXCELLENT substitute for MOLASSES in a lot of baked goods.
    (People often asks me what is "different " about my gingerbread. = It's just the SOURWOOD HONEY.)

I also mix it 50-50 with clover honey for waffles/pancakes, etc., too.

yours, satx
    Where can I find it?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Where can I find it?

minniion26,

I buy mine by the QUART jar-full at the "relatively near by" gun shows. = The NEW BRAUNFELS gun show being the MAIN place. - SORRY, i do NOT actually know the beekeeper. I just buy his honey from him.
    (I'll get you a business card & send you his address, when I go to the NB gun show.)

ADDENDA: I was at one of the smaller shows at a VFD hall one afternoon & overheard a conversation between a beekeeper & a "dis-satisfied customer".

The customer said (I think wanting a "discount"), "There's a dead bee in my honey."
    The beekeeper responded, "PLEASE don't talk so loud. IF you are heard by many people, EVERYBODY will want a bee in their jar, too. ---- I don't have any more bees to give away."
    (I walked on down the aisle & CHUCKLING at that exchange. - I wondered if the beekeeper has read CHEKOV.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    My wife keeps Bees the late 2 years have been bad with the storms here in Orange still have 2 good hives hope we can back up to about 13 hives again
    Louski

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Louski,

Do you sell honey?? - IF you do, let me know when, how much per pound & what kind, PLEASE.

yours, satx

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Louski,

Do you sell honey?? - IF you do, let me know when, how much per pound & what kind, PLEASE.

yours, satx

satx,
    Try your local farmer's market or call your county Ag agent or even your fire department or pest management companies or Master Gardeners Club or nature preserve - many of them keep contact lists of local beekeepers that do unwanted swarm removals. Once you have that, you'll have a source for very local honey. I know in Austin, they have a large, active beekeeping club. IIRC, it's called Capital City Beekeepers - I'd be surprised if there's not a club in Bexar County, too.

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I've thought about keeping one in my backyard
    You can do one but most conventional traditional wisdom, says to have (maintain) two hives. That will substantially increase your likelihood of success at keeping them alive and ability to sustain them. (You'll need an experienced mentor).

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Well, if there's anybody in Angelina County that needs a place to keep a few dozen hives, I've got some acreage.
    I've reached out to a couple of beekeepers listed on the TAMU, apiary website, but have not had any success.
    I have several "wild" hives on the property, so I think hives would prosper.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    skfullgun, that's a generous offer but I'm not totally surprised you've had no takers. Depending upon your setting, neighbor locations, other livestock and crops in the area, etc., it may or may not be that feasible or attractive to a beekeeper. In the last decade (or a little more), liability has also entered the equation. Ever since the arrival of the Africanized ("killer") bees, unless colonies are closely monitored and managed, it possible for hives to harbor these more aggressive honeybees. Their genetic traits are dominant so they have a tendency to become an area's majority species.

Top Bottom