• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    I have an opportunity for over 2000 safe deposit boxes from a bank that closed. Only catch is there are no keys for the safe deposit boxes (they have been certified empty). Anyone have an idea of what it would cost to get keys for these boxes? Is that something a locksmith can do if they’re certified for security?
    Thanks
    Epp
    ARJ Defense ad

pbratton

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I have an opportunity for over 2000 safe deposit boxes from a bank that closed. Only catch is there are no keys for the safe deposit boxes (they have been certified empty). Anyone have an idea of what it would cost to get keys for these boxes? Is that something a locksmith can do if they’re certified for security?
    Thanks
    Epp

Simple matter of pulling the nose out of both sides and arranging the levers.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    p1380767103165219.jpg

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Sounds like the bank is now closed. Upon closing, all "tenants" of the boxes could clear them out. Those not reached, the bank will open box and send property to that state's unclaimed property division. It's odd that the bank would close all the doors on the boxes and lock them or at least not leave the master keys.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Sounds like the bank is now closed. Upon closing, all "tenants" of the boxes could clear them out. Those not reached, the bank will open box and send property to that state's unclaimed property division. It's odd that the bank would close all the doors on the boxes and lock them or at least not leave the master keys.

I had a safety deposit box some years ago, ( I now just bury my valuables in Mason jars in the back yard!) and it took two keys to open it. Mine and the banks.

Do they have a master key that over-rides the customer's key?

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    I had a safety deposit box some years ago, ( I now just bury my valuables in Mason jars in the back yard!) and it took two keys to open it. Mine and the banks.

Do they have a master key that over-rides the customer's key?
    You are correct. The bank has one (all boxes keyed to it) and the customer retains the other. If customer loses key, a locksmith is called to open and replace lock. Still puzzles me why the bank didn't leave the keys with the boxes or leave them all open.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    Correct it is an old Wells Fargo building that they decided to close down. I did find two guard keys that fit some of the units but no customer keys have been found on the location. It wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t put all the keys into one lock box lock it back and wander off with the keys to that unit. Looking at either repurposing some of them or selling some of them.

there are all different sizes of safe deposit boxes everything from 3“ x 5“ up to 18“ x 2‘. Some of these units have been forced open, I believe to secure the contents so everything could be certified empty before they closed. I’m headed back down Monday to start loading them up and moving them ouT. This is the only photo of one of the larger units that I took.
    E8B81A98-2199-4811-86BC-EFC1D026D84A.jpeg

Edit: They were probably about 15 of these larger ones.
    I will get more photos Monday

Last edited:
    Top Bottom