Any change in the Notification requirement for TExas CHL holders?

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by SC-Texas, Aug 2, 2009.

1. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I heard a rumor that we would not have to inform a cop that we were carrying concealed?

2. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    As of Sept 1 you are still required to display your CHL, however the 30 day suspension for failure to display has been removed.... So yes and no...

3. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Now that is interesting.

Here is my license and CHL.

But no reqreuiment to say that I am carrying.

Of course, the cop is going to ask me when I hand him my CHL.

4. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    The original intent was to do away completley with the failure to display because of the change allowing concealed carry in your automobile. The thought behind it was that since an unlicensed person carrying in their vehicle was under no obliigation to inform the officer, why should we? The closest they could get was to remove the penalty for failure to display.....

5. riverara

riverara New Member

Jun 26, 2009
    So we basically have a rule with no consequence if Im reading it right.
    Kinda like playing a messed up game of baseball. 3 strikes and you get to try again.

6. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Exactley.....

7. newshooter1970

newshooter1970 Member

Feb 1, 2009
    I believe that the CHL is linked to your Texas DL. Therefore, the cop who is pulling you over has already run your plate and probably is aware you are a CHL holder. If you do not present your CHL, wouldn't the cop believe you to be evasive? Just a question...any LE should pipe in here I think.

8. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Yes and no, you are not required to display if you are not carrying, so having your CHL linked to your DL, which it is, serves no purpose other than to tell the officer that you MIGHT be armed

9. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Here is my radical thought for the day . . . . why would the cop care if I have a Gun? The fact is that its none of the cops business if I have a gun.

I am more worried that some dumbo cop is going to shoot me or himselfwhile he is fiddlefarting around with my gun for "My safety" than if it stays in it holster.

That is why the cop shouldn't need to know about my firearms that are on my person or in my car.

Telling a cop that you are armed is asking for trouble becasue it tempts him to handle your firearms and remove it from the holster.

Just my opinion.

10. thorkyl

thorkyl Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Interesting thought SC

I have never had one "take it" from me

I have had them ask where is was, I have had them tell me just to keep my hands either out the window or on the steering wheel.

I did have one ask me to remove it from the holster and leave it in the seat with my off hand then put my hands on the wheel and get out.

Most have just asked for me to not reach in the area of it.

Yes I get stopped all the time, last time was Saturday for running a red light, left skid marks from the stock trailer brakes through the intersection.
    He was cool about it and did not even mind the six gun rig sitting in the back seat exposed.