• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ttuttle

An old guy who like to shoot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    I have a question about cleaning brass. I've noticed some comerical brass cleaning additives make the statement "contains no ammonia." Does ammonia weaken the brass? What would happen if I added a shot glass of ammonia to my walnut shells in a vibratory shaker?

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    ammonia and copper react to form the cuprammonium ion, formula [Cu(NH3)4], a chemical complex which is water-soluble. What occurs is any scratches, cracks or nooks and crannies get the ammonia inside them and as the reaction occurs it erodes the copper out of the brass alloy. Then when one washes the ammonia solution off the copper is washed out as the cuprammonium ion

ttuttle

An old guy who like to shoot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    ammonia and copper react to form the cuprammonium ion, formula [Cu(NH3)4], a chemical complex which is water-soluble. What occurs is any scratches, cracks or nooks and crannies get the ammonia inside them and as the reaction occurs it erodes the copper out of the brass alloy. Then when one washes the ammonia solution off the copper is washed out as the cuprammonium ion

It sounds like your answer is for an extended exposure. I am questioning a 2 hour shake to clean and a detergent wash. Would your advice still hold true under those terms?

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    All I have ever read is ammonia will damage brass and to not use it for cleaning. I didn't ask why. I've always used crushed walnut hulls and ever so often add a touch of good old chrome polish.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Even a very small amount of ammonia will ruin brass. The same is true for amines (although you're a lot less likely to encounter amines in common chemicals.) Never expose your brass to anything containing ammonia. Never. I can't be more clear than that.

And yes, I do have a degree in chemistry.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Cant help with that but I have a couple very good hand written meth recipes with step by step instructions and even one with pics.

Tweakers have no concept of OP sec for some reason. They leave shit laying around and also cant shut up so... since you mentioned chemistry.

ETA.

This may be the most useless post on the site today.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I have a question about cleaning brass. I've noticed some comerical brass cleaning additives make the statement "contains no ammonia." Does ammonia weaken the brass? What would happen if I added a shot glass of ammonia to my walnut shells in a vibratory shaker?

1) Yes, well described chemically with a quick Google search.
    2) Nobody knows for sure because they know enough not to do what you ask

To what you didnt ask, there are dozens of great cleaners put there that are brass friendly so why waste your time even considering something like ammonia and wasting precious electrons posting about it? Save the electrons and the holes... seriously.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Yes, exactly it is stupid. Google returns only about oh, 50 pages of results with more info than you can shake a stick in the first page. It's 2020, who wouldn't Google search first and then, and only then, ask a question they couldn't answer? Keeps it lively.

Come on man...right?

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Yes, exactly it is stupid. Google returns only about oh, 50 pages of results with more info than you can shake a stick in the first page. It's 2020, who wouldn't Google search first and then, and only then, ask a question they couldn't answer? Keeps it lively.

Come on man...right?
    It's stupid to talk out your ars and down your nose when a guy asks for help from experienced people. Why even bother to respond?

just country

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Texas
    morning, this is an old posting, ammonia is in brasso which
    has been used for polishing brass in the military for
    years. for cleaning firearm brass I use a 1/2tspoon brasso and
    jewelers ruse sp in my walnut cleaner. this works great.
    brass of any kind will water spot easily.
    the new brass cleaner,(wash in water after using)???
    use a jewelers cloth to wife brass after cleaning.
    works great. this treatment shows cracks in ur brass.
    justme gbot tum

Blayglock

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    It sounds like your answer is for an extended exposure. I am questioning a 2 hour shake to clean and a detergent wash. Would your advice still hold true under those terms?

If you are willing to measure a precise amount of ammonia solution you will use, and can tell me the % activity of the ammonia solution - I will calculate the mass of copper removed based on kinetics at the temperature your are cleaning at.

If we really want to get nerdy - weigh out 10 cases on your powder scale and let’s get an average weight of the brass you are cleaning. We can then calculate the total mass of copper removed as a percentage. If you tell us what caliber we can look at the pressure those loads run at as well and extrapolate yield stress in the micron sized fissures in the brass caused by ammonia.

My favorite way for getting nice, shiny brass is to use Lemi Shine. I like that it has a surfactant in it in addition to the acids.

Last edited:

just country

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Texas
    morning, put in shaker and run?? thats all.
    justme gbot tum. sorry for trying to help!!! people
    have different ways to solutions
    sounds like a bunch of women in beauty palor.

Top Bottom