• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andiamo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2021
    Austin

Looking to put this VX-3HD 3.5-10X40 CDS-ZL DUPLEX on my 300WM, which I am planning on putting in an M40A5 chassis (love that gun).

Before I buy the Leupold, I want to know what setup this is on McMillan’s advertisements for the A5 stock. Is the thing in front of the scope a shroud or a magnifier?

F41560C7-669A-4719-BC00-0BA4607B2F4A.jpg

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    That scope is good for a rifle you only shoot at less than the PBZ. You will be totally lost if you need to dial dope or hold over or hold for wind. If you're OK with that why a 300wm?

It's like buying race car then getting the cheapest, hardest tires that will fit. Sure it sort of looks the part at first glance, but that scope on a rifle in 300wm would be severely handicapped beyond point-blank range of the 300wm. At 300yd you will already have 9"of drop...

Why cheap out on a scope? Given the price of ammo, how many misses is that scope worth to you?

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Andiamo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2021
    Austin
    That scope is good for a rifle you only shoot at less than the PBZ. You will be totally lost if you need to dial dope or hold over or hold for wind. If you're OK with that why a 300wm?

It's like buying race car then getting the cheapest, hardest tires that will fit. Sure it sort of looks the part at first glance, but that scope on a rifle in 300wm would be severely handicapped beyond point-blank range of the 300wm. At 300yd you will already have 9"of drop...

Why cheap out on a scope? Given the price of ammo, how many misses is that scope worth to you?

Sounds good, the scope game is new to me. I appreciate the advice. My hunting buddy has a 300WM R700 with the same scope. You’re right, I would like to get a nice scope, just not sure what the right one would be for tactical/target shooting. What is that shroud thing on the McMillan ad?

Andiamo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2021
    Austin
    It looks like a clip on thermal if your asking what is sitting in front of the scope in the picture you posted.

I'm mainly wondering if I will be kicking myself in the ass later on if I don't decide to get the rail systems now. Bedding this thing looks like an extensive project, I'm YouTubeing up on what pillars are. Even though McMillan says it is not necessary for these stocks, I still want to do it

Andiamo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2021
    Austin
    Are you building a hunting rifle, or a target rifle?

Because from the threads you have started about this 300 Win. Mag. you are all over the place with this thing.
    I am essentially wanting to copy a milspec M40A5, a tactical monster

Last edited:

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    You want an M40a5? Start saving your money. You need a Schmidt & Bender 3-12× 50 Police Marksman II LP. Big bucks.

You could always join the military, gain some maturity and direction, and then get military discounts on Leupold, etc. Play your cards right, and Uncle Sugar might let you play with an m40 as a full time job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Sounds good, the scope game is new to me. I appreciate the advice. My hunting buddy has a 300WM R700 with the same scope. You’re right, I would like to get a nice scope, just not sure what the right one would be for tactical/target shooting. What is that shroud thing on the McMillan ad?
    I bought a Cabelas Covenant 7 6-24 x 50 tactical scope. That thing rivals my Nikon Black 1000FX. But the Covenant only cost $350. Glass is super clear too.

If I was buying another scope I would buy another Covenant 7. Price is right, glass is superb, has the turrets that you will need for long range shooting with that rifle.

Andiamo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2021
    Austin
    I’m new to the bolt action game and trying to find the best bang for my buck trying to build a poor man’s M40A1

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    If what you're trying to do is build a facsimile, then you'll want the equivalent of a U.S. Optics MST-100 10x with 1 inch tube and USMC Mildot reticle. The scope is fixed power and not illuminated.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I’m new to the bolt action game and trying to find the best bang for my buck trying to build a poor man’s M40A1
    You need to decide what you are wanting.

Do you want something for hunting, for target or for blowing a ton of cash to shoot 3rnd groups at 100y?

There is no poor man's M40. You've even flopped between A1 and A5. If you want to play, you'll have to pay. Cheap won't get you far most of the time in the precision game.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Let's be clear. Are you wanting to replicate an M40A1, or the M40A5?

And just for your information, the M40 series of USMC rifles, were all short action M700's chambered in 7.62x51mm.

Even the Army never adopted the 300 Win. Mag. They experimented with the cartridge, but that was as far as they went.

So again, exactly what are you building?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom