• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Are there any classes in TX that any of ya'll have taken or would recommend for defensive handgun, concealed carry, force on force or scenario based training?

Also I have never participated in an IDPA or similar would this be of benefit for a defensive training? I do plan to attend an IDPA match in the near future just looking for opinions.
    Hurley's Gold

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    IDPA can be beneficial in some ways. HOWEVER, please note that even in IDPA there are some things people do to remain competitive, and some things within the rules that are counterproductive from a self defense standpoint. The one main benefit I see with IDPA is it gets you learning to shoot on the move and while physically active, which is a huge hurdle to overcome for all those used to the square range. It's much more dynamic than the square range, but it's not perfect. Take what is tactically beneficial from it and discard the rest.

Here's some trainer's in Texas or visting Texas I'd recommend:

CSAT

Training

There are actually plenty of others in Texas or that visit Texas as well, but I can't remember some of them off hand.

jay524288

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Austin, TX
    There is also KR Training.

Karl offers various classes including defensive pistol and rifle and force-on-force classes.

They are held about halfway between Bryan and Austin.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Definately think I'll look into the IDPA for what I can take from it, move and shoot is definately something I'd like to work on.

Thanks for the links, will be looking into these.

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    DTI; john farnam.

John comes down to tx twice a year and holds classes in victoria. the shiloh guys go see him every time he's down. for some of us its a refresher, for others, its a weekend off. we always bring new people with us and they always enjoy the class. you'll learn a lot in a farnam class, just listening to the man speak is worth tuition.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Farnam's class is definatley worth it, I went for the first time about 3 or 4 months ago, and will be there again in October.....

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    CSAT, KR training, and Farnam all have good classes. If you can get a defensive pistol class under your belt, I highly recommend the Combined Skills class on Sept 11-13, at K R Training.

If you are interested in more scenario/FOF training Shivworks is going to have a class in Dallas Oct. 16-18 that covers unarmed and close quarters material.
    ShivWorks

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I have bookmarked all the sites mentioned so far, doing research and saving some money.
    I also went to the local PD and asked a few guys I know there about FOF training with simunitions and they say they will get some soon they are hoping and throw my name in for possibly attending some training with them.

Top Bottom