• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I hunted waterfowl, upland gamebirds, and large and small game for decades when I lived in British Columbia, Canada but I haven't done any hunting since I moved here. I often hear shotguns from the direction of Lake Lewisville come Duck hunting season so I assume someone is out hunting. I'd like to hear from any hunters in the area too.

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    I started duck hunting last year, continued this year. this year been out once really and brought in 2 gadwalls and a ring-necked. Going out again this weekend. We are currently just hunting over stock tanks on some property in Limestone county.

TexasGuy85

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Grapevine Tx
    I'm not a duck hunter.... but i have friends who hunt at the richland chambers reservoir at their public land area and they seem to do very well. I also have friends who hunt ray roberts and do well.. .

And just last weekend while riding off road trails i saw some guys walking up from grapevine lake at trophy club park..

Tap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Went for the first time a few weeks back. Kayaked down the river and camped and then hunted in the morning. Managed one duck with the new gun.
    qy4a2e6e.jpg
    ehahapub.jpg
    e8eruba6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    hard to tell what kind of duck you've got there

here are my two from my hunt in december - a green wing teal and a ring neck

8178A13D-3E5A-44F9-9744-DFAEDEE7F8C9_zpsr80i29jy.jpg

Tap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    The last duck I killed was in 1966. Have had no taste for them ever since.

If you like how they taste, go for it.

I kind of agree. This was my first duck ever this year. Was a blast hunting but didn't love the duck. Next time I will marinade it. I took that one and plucked it and threw it in gumbo with venison sausage, andouille, and chicken.
    ydutarug.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    the best way to prepare duck before cooking it - is to soak it in a brine for a few days.....blanch it with kosher salt

i butterflied mine - stuffed them with a jalapeno cream cheese mix - and wrapped a slice of bacon around it - stuck it in the oven at 400

DEE-LISH

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i typically breasts all the ducks i get - and go from there

if you dont like my "recipe" - then great

just offering up an alternative - and one that is actually quite common with cookers of duck boobs

on another note - i have recently gotten active in my local DU chapter - there is a dinner on Thursday, April 26th, in Addison. some really nice guns up for auction/raffle as well as other hunting type stuff. dinner is catered by Outback - tickets are $65

a great way to get connected with other hunters/conservationists.....shoot me a PM if you might be interested

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    the best way to prepare duck before cooking it - is to soak it in a brine for a few days.....blanch it with kosher salt

i butterflied mine - stuffed them with a jalapeno cream cheese mix - and wrapped a slice of bacon around it - stuck it in the oven at 400

DEE-LISH

That does sound pretty good

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    the brine takes out some of the gamey-ness

it's not actually "blanched" - just a lot less dark red when you cook it then right after you breast the duck

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    besides, if you're going to criticize my recipe - why dont you offer up how you do it instead of just bashing mine

See the little smiley face? It meant i was just funnin' ya, there was no "bashing." I realize some people like to remove as much of the "gamey" flavor as possible, and i have enjoyed plenty of brined, and marinated, duck. I just really like bold game flavors, which is why, when i am cooking my ducks, there is no brining or marinating. I brown/sear the duck in oil for a couple minutes, then put them in a dutch oven with onions, salt and pepper. I am most certain that you wouldn't like it. ;)

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    See the little smiley face? It meant i was just funnin' ya, there was no "bashing." I realize some people like to remove as much of the "gamey" flavor as possible, and i have enjoyed plenty of brined, and marinated, duck. I just really like bold game flavors, which is why, when i am cooking my ducks, there is no brining or marinating. I brown/sear the duck in oil for a couple minutes, then put them in a dutch oven with onions, salt and pepper. I am most certain that you wouldn't like it. ;)

you assume too much - sort of like assuming that you wouldnt like my recipe

i've had duck prepared your way - in fact thats one of my son's recipes.....straight to the frying pan and then oven

i've had plenty of "gamey" game....as long as you eat what you kill, cook it however you like!

smiley face! :)

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Jeebus, how the heck are you guys not seasoning your duck and cooking it in its own fat. And no, salt by itself isn't seasoning :o

Top Bottom