• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickindanutz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    I recently got my first FAL and Im wondering about the pivot pin (screw?). On the left side its slotted and its smooth on the right. The whole thing spins freely and Im wondering what keeps the screw from coming loose and falling out.
    Venture Surplus ad

kickindanutz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Yessir I understand that part. I guess what Im asking is how tight should that screw be? Does it need loc-tite on the threads to keep it from coming loose when your're shooting it? Sorry if I sound like an idiot. It just seems to me that since its only slotted on one side and it spins freely then its not supposed to be very tight. Thanks.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    It is a take down pivot. I never had it loosen up on me and I had a fairly crappy century Inch FAL.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Don't worry about it, it's fine like that. My Imbel FAL was the same way. That's normal. Don't put loctite on it or anything like that. ;) All I did on mine was push on the flat side and then use a flat head to screw the other end in hand tight. No need to torque it.

Partychief67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    How are you liking that FAL? I've been sort of wanting one for a while now and i almost bought one at the last Dallas Market Hall show. The only reason I didn't was that I wasn't sure if it was worth the asking price of $1050.

kickindanutz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    I love it!... sig fiend I guess you were right...nothing to worry about. I tightened it as well as i could with a quarter and my thumb and shot 100 rds. Man its a sweet shooter. Partychief, I wouldnt hesitate. Ive always wanted one and balked because of the price. I ended up trding a friend of mine a couple nice AKs and some ammo....and some cash. It was expensive but I sure am happy with it. Now I just have to buy ammo.
    Thanks for your help.
    Jon
    P.S. Thanks Mark!!!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The FAL is at least as robust a platform as the AK, but it is a MUCH nicer gun and has a lot of nice features. The nicest IMO is the adjustable gas piston they all have.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have a crappy inch type L1A1 Century with a thumbhole stock. This may be the least desirable of all FAL's. I bought it in 1994 with the SUIT sight for $400. It is not the prettiest gun at the range. To me it is one of the most fun rifles to shoot. Everyone wants to give a try. It holds pretty nice groups at 100 yards, and it does not care what kind of ammo you use. The best part is the gas regulator, that allows you to adjust to any type of ammo, or make it a single shot manual if the gas plug is inverted. I did put the DS Arms Picatanny rail adapter on it which may be the best addition you can make if does not already come with one. If you have never owned one, it is a heck of a lot of fun.

Top Bottom