Any Forest Service, BLM, or other Public land to shoot in DFW?

Discussion in 'Dallas & Fort Worth' started by RaggedHole, Jun 28, 2017.

1. studenygreg

studenygreg Member

Oct 7, 2015
    I agree. I loved offloading in southern New Mexico the 3 years I was there. I held on to my TJ too long after getting to San Antonio. I sold it. Just didn't have a use for it other than speed bumps. Took up motorcycles instead.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

jeepinbanditrider likes this.
  2. RaggedHole

RaggedHole New Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Yeah you would be surprised there are a ton of gun enthusiasts, sportsman, and great people in California. 14/53 congressional districts are conservative and they have very strong enclaves in N. California and Orange County. The problem is there are just a lot of people who have never been exposed to firearms or hunting and do not care either way about voting to preserve those rights. It is just is not a big deal for them.

The shooters who are down there are very passionate and have some of the nicest ranges I have ever seen. 15 minutes from where I grew up near Pasadena is a pristine 700yd rifle range, complete with skeet, trap, 100s of animal & varmint shaped steel targets on the 100 yd pistol caliber range.

3. busykngt

busykngt Well-Known

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Sounds like paradise.... think I'll move there!

Oh no! Wait.....
    --
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.

4. candcallen

candcallen Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Too soon probably.

5. rman

rman Well-Known

Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    CA actually has the highest nember of guns, total. Although maybe that's because the majority is known/registered

I believe TX is #2

and MT is #1 per capita.

On a side note, would love to find some land in Ft Worth to shoot on, more specifically, to teach my boys to shoot. Not really wanting to bring them to a public range

Sent from my SIG Sauer

6. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Sorry, but CA is only in the "lead" because of their registration laws. Plus, the Left Coasters probably include water pistols, potatoes in the shape of a gun and those wooden thingies that shoot rubber bands as they feel those too are "assault weapons!"

In fact, this recent "study" claims Texas is #18! :50cal:

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/most-heavily-armed-states-in-america/35/

No one really knows how many guns there are in Texas, and it's not of the government's damned business!

deemus and pronstar like this.
  7. rman

rman Well-Known

Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    agreed, that's why i said that. Every handgun for I don't know how long and every long gun since 2014.

unless CADOJ has been secretly logging 4473s

However - you would be surprised how many guns there are in CA. there's a lot of money, and a whole lot of panic buying. Wouldn't be surprised if that statistic was close to accurate.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

8. busykngt

busykngt Well-Known

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    RaggedHole, your best bet is to find a private business range to shoot at. While there are a few in close (Elm Fork comes to mind or the Garland Public Shooting Range if you're on the Dallas side of DFW...several others too), there are many further out. Generally, the further out you go, the more reasonably priced they are and the more flexible their offering (extended rifle ranges, etc.). Land prices aren't too unreasonable for initial purchase (further out), but since Texas has no state income tax, you can expect property taxes to make up for it!
    --
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.

equin and jeepinbanditrider like this.
  9. Reinz

Reinz Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I used to hunt on gubmint land in Denton many years ago. The problem was a lot of others hunted there as well.

10. AR1911

AR1911 Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Buy 20 acres 70-100 miles out
    Lease it for cattle grazing (ag exemption)
    Don’t shoot the cattle