• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrazosCoTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Brazos County, TX
    Fairly simple 3 stage course of fire, combination of speed and accuracy. No movement. No holster required. Anybody with a Glock can play.

Next Texas match is in Lubbock this weekend. After that, San Antonio on the first weekend in December.

For more info-- gssfonline.com

Semper Fidelis
    Gun Zone Deals

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    I shoot five divisons:

Amateur Civilian - G17
    SubCompact - G26
    Subcompact Major - G30
    Competition - G34
    Unlimited - G34 w/mods

Texas is actually a god place to be if you shoot GSSF. You got Slayton (though the turn out was low this year and rumor says it may not be there again next year), San Antonio in December and Dallas is the Summer. Then there are matches in Colorado, Oklahoma (Tulsa), Arkansas (Ft. Smith), Louisiania (Thibedeux). I'm also planning on hitting the matches in Pensacola, FL (Nov. 8 - 9) and Orlando, FL (Feb).

I missed Slayton because of vacation and Dallas because of work.

If you haven't tried it, its a hoot. YOu have to join the GSSF but you can do that online or right at the match. I think its currently $35. If you preregister for matches you can save $5 - $10 of the registration. You can shoot as many divisons (once in each) that you have a gun for, or are willing to try (i.e. you can shoot up into the Master class if you want to). An added perk for GSSF members is currently they are giving aay certificates (one per a member - new or existing) to get a Glock at LE prices. You have to use it at only a participating dealer (the list is limited) or from a online dealer who is participating.

The matches consist of 3 stages:

5 to Glock - four targets at various ranges (5 - 25 yards) and 3 poppers. YOu shoot it three times, 2 shots each on a target and one popper a run.

Glock M - five targets at various ranges (5 - 25 yards), shoot three times, 2 shots a target.

Glock the plates - 6 plates at 13 - 15 yards.

In all cases you get 11 rounds a run, the plates and 5 to Glock are the only ones where you won't be penalized for using more then the necessay shots to score (9,10, 6 respectively). The exception is or submajor which is shot with 6 rounds only, so 5, 5, 6 shots respectively.

The Divisons are:

Stock - Can be shot with any weapon except the G36, G17L, G34, G35, G24, or a unlimited gun. Guns can only have Glock original parts except for sights. I'm not sure if it still holds true, but you where able to shoot a "c" model if you had replaced the barrel with a non-"c" model glock barrel (i.e. 17 barrel in a 17C).

Competition - Can only be shot with G17L, G34, G35, G24 any "c" model glocks

SubCompact - G26, G27, G28, G29, G30, G33, G39

Subcompact Major - G30, G29, G36

Unlimited - this is for the race guns, anything goes as long as its still a Glock frame, all the Glock internal safeties work, and its not dangerous.

There are 3 Class - Civilain, Guardian, and Master

Civilian shoots stock, sub, submajor, and comp
    Master shoots stock, sub, submajor, comp, and unlimited
    guardian shoots stock

Now you are not limited by your class, but master, civilians, and guardians only compete against one another in the defined class. However, an amateur can shoot up into the master classes, guardians can shoot in the remainging divisons as civilians. Unlimited is the only one where everyone competes against everyone else.

The great thing is besides competing for prizes for placement, there are also random prizes (money, guns, memberships, Glock stuff), so the more you shoot, the more chances you have to win. There are also special awards for top senior, woman, youth, and special needs. PLus some matches have side areas with special stages you can shoot for either bragging rights or sometimes extra prizes that are not part of the regular course of fire.

The master ranking is awarded through the GSSF if you win 3 pistols for finishing first in a divison, or if you hold a equivalent ranking in another pistol shooting sport. Random guns and non-gun prizes don't count. My best friend found that out. He had won alot of cash for placing and random prizes, but at the Pensacla match last year he took first in Guardian, AmComp and Amsubcomp and got the isn't boot to Master.

Guns are not awarded all the time, its based on number of registrations or "guns shot" at the match. So more guns shot, better the prize pool. That is why some folks will shoot up into the master class - helps up their prize pool, gives you a sort of gimme round to warm up, and another chance to win something. Also you can win as many times as you shoot. My father in law won a random gun, $100, and a 2-year membership all at one match.

Also don't forget the GSSF runs indoor leagues as well. They are alot differient, more of a timed bulleye match. 50 round course of fire from 3 to 24 yards, 500 point max. They are shot in 3 legs, one a month for 3 months. You must shoot in atleast 2 of the 3, if you shoot all three you get to take you best two scores. Final score is average of the two. Scores are broken into three groups (upper, lower, and middle third) A,B,C groups. First in each group gets a plaque, and there is some misc. awards of GLock stuff. Also for everyone who shoots atleast 2 legs you get registered for a random drawing for a free glock (via certificate from Glock). Also, there are only two divisons (stock and modified) in indoor, so the competition models (17L, 24, 34, and 35) rule there.

For Texas the only two GSSF leagues I've shot in are DFW range in Dallas and shooters station in Conroe. The DFW is about 2 or 3 times a year. Currently they are in the last leg, so unless you have shot in one of the first two already you are SOL. Shooter's station I think runs them quarterly and should be only in the first leg of the last one for the year.

I'm no where near the expert, but I'll offer what advice and resources I got. Also if you decide to go to an outdoor match, take a friend. New registrations at matchs get to refer someone for a special new member drawing as well.

All you need to shoot the outdoor matches is a glock, a magazine and something to carry it in from stage to stage. Its best to have atleast 4 mags, 5 works better. Load each mag with 10 rounds, and use the 5 as a Barney Mag to load the 11 round into the gun. All shooting is done from a set location (no run and gun) with the shooting starting from a modified low ready position (pistol down at 45 degrees with elbows touching the side of the body).

Targets for all matches are NRA D-1 tombstomes (card board tombstomes outdoor) paper in doors.

Malladus

BrazosCoTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Brazos County, TX
    Malladus, I shoot in AmCiv (G19) and AmSub (G30). Have owned and shot a variety of other Glocks in GSSF over the years, including the G21 in AmCiv, the G26 in AmSub (had my best score ever, finished third for $50-- my only time "in the money"), and the G36 in MajSub. The only two Glocks I own now are the G19 and the G30, which I consider my EDC gun.

My goal now is to try to finish in the top third of the field. Recently, at the Coners, GA match, I achieved that goal in AmCiv, but fell short in AmSub. I just don't shoot enough to even think abut winning, but I chart my progress from match to match, and look to see where the other guys who usually shoot similar scores to me are finishing. One match, I shot AmGuardian (being a retired Marine qualifies me), but I found I was shooting against a lot of LE guys who had access to department ammo, meaning they could practice a heckuva lot more than me, so I came back to AmCiv.

New wrinkle for me-- my wife just took the CHL course, and wants to shoot in a GSSF match with the G19. So, I may bring her to San Antonio with me in December.

Maybe will see you there-- stay in touch, stay safe, and good shooting!

Semper Fidleis

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Sounds like you got a little more time under your belt in the GSSF then me. I shot my first match in Mingus in 07 the day after buying my first Glock (G17) the day before. Shot a borrowed G26 in AmSubComp as well. From that point on my goal has been to shoot better then the last match. From there I did Pensacola where I shot AmCiV (G17), AmSubComp(G26) and Competition (G34). The G34 was bought the week after Mingus and the G26 the day before Pensacola just to shoot GSSF. After that was San Antonio. I missed most of the 08 season because of relocation and work stuff. But during that time I picked up the G30 for AmSubMaj and another G34 so I could trick it out and shoot in unlimited.

My plan is to finish out this year with Pensacola, San Antonio and Orlando.

Next year I'm hoping to make Dallas, Pensacola, San Antonio, Thibeduex, Ft. Smith, Tulsa, Orlando, and maybe one of the Georgia and Tennessee matches.

My times have gotten better, managed to cut a third off at each match so far, the goal now is to shoot sub 100 matches and maybe win something. Being the nerd that I am I set up a excel spreadsheet that I put all my times and score information into so I can see where I need to work to cut my times. Helped alot between Mingus and Pensacola as I managed to drop all my times by 50%. Got aways to go before I even have to worry about making Master.

I must say its fun stuff, it sucked me into the tactical tupperware big time as I didn't own a Glock before Mingus, and now all my semi-autos except for .22s are Glocks. Sucked in my Father in Law and Brother in law as well as some guys at the office. Meet a lot of cool folks at the matches as well.

Maybe we should look at putting together some pick-up TGT teams for matches if enought members show up?

malladus

BrazosCoTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Brazos County, TX
    Always wanted to put a team together...

... but haven't been able to drum up enough interest. In truth, I 'd do it for the camaraderie with fellow shooters in our state.

Shot my first GSSF match in 2002 in San Antonio, and shot regularly for the next few years at San Antonio, Dallas, Shreveport (no longer a match site), and even Mingus one year. Since my mother lives in Atlanta, made the big match at Conyers twice. Stopped for a couple of years due to a family member's illness.

I could be talked into going to Tulsa, Ft. Smith, and maybe down into those Louisiana bayous to shoot, too, work and family commitments permitting. Got a buddy who used to shoot GSSF with me for a while, and is thinking about getting back in. He owns a G17 and a G21.

Have always admired the bunch from the Florida panhandle who have a team and make a lot of the matches, Dallas and San Antonio included. They have a great time, and shoot well, too.

I'd like to bust 100 some day, and I think I probably will with the G19 in AmCiv. The secret (my opinion) is to have four fast strings on the Plates, as it gives you some cushion on the other two events.

I'll contact you prior to the San Antonio match. Look forward to meeting you and throwing some rounds downrange.

Semper Fidelis

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Sounds like a plan. Need to get us some spiffy t-shirts from here to wear.

And yeah the Team Carver guys are great. Really good crew of guys, know alot of them from the matches and a bunch of them went to my bestfriends 40th Birthday in Mobile. Gave him a tinfoil ball cap.

They gave me alot of help on working out the bugs in my racegun as well.

My father in law usually hits the matches with me, so we could easily make at least one team.

malladus

BrazosCoTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Brazos County, TX
    It is fun, Funkybassplayer...

... and if you have a Glock (or Glocks!), you're ready to play.

Follow these steps:

1. Go to gssfonline and read up on the match stuff.
    2. Join GSSF ($35.00)
    3. Send in an application for a match (one or more entries, at $25.00 per entry)-- this is pre-registering, and you'll save $10.
    4. Buy a box of 100 rds (you'll need minimum of 81, and maybe a few more if you miss a plate of two).
    5. Go to the match, meet some of your fellow gun enthusiasts, shoot, and have a great time.
    6. Repeat steps 3 thru 5 as often as you like. Re-enlist in GSSF every year.

Several observations:

1. Everybody's cool at these matches-- no fools posturing, acting the prima donna, etc. GSSF is very organized, the Range Officers are helpful, and most shooters help paste up the targets to help the pace.

2. Can't believe the other gun companies, especially Springfield's XD crew, hasn't done a similar initiative to push sales of their guns.

3. There's not a lot of opportunity for "sandbagging" in this competition, not a lot of "gaming" the system. It's a combination of accuracy and speed, without any movement from the starting position. Lots of "geezers" shooting, and shooting good scores!

See ya there.

Semper Fidelis

Top Bottom