APOD Firearms

Any good deals still around on AK tanker mags?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Looking, looking, looking... I can get a 20 round Tapco for $11 (not bad considering their mags always worked fine for me) or a jin-you-wine Bulgarian steel number for about $30. This is all before shipping, of course.

A few months ago good condition Bulgies were $15, and a three pack of "Slightly rusty" ones was $20, with case! Have I missed the boat, or is there anywhere that still has good deals on these?

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    There is a thread here about j&g selling the tapco 30s for less than $6, FYI

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    There is a thread here about j&g selling the tapco 30s for less than $6, FYI

I have several in my cart right now. Whether I can find a good deal on a metal tanker will decide whether I throw a 20 rd tapco in there and click "Order."

Looks like a lot of people are trying to clear out Tapco stock in anticipation of the new AK Pmag. Personally I don't see how one is going to be better than the other, considering the Pmag has no metal reinforcement (yet).

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I think you mean Hungarian 20-round magazines, made specifically for the AMD-65 because of the front grip. I've never seen Bulgarian steel 20-rounders that I can recall.

They show up on occasion in the AK Files marketplace, and they usually aren't cheap! Lately they've been going for over $30 apiece. I'm glad I picked up a few a while back...but I just missed someone selling four for $110 on another forum! :(

Also, be careful, Sportsman's Guide listed some for $13.50 but while the pic showed the steel ones in actuality they were polymer and made in the US. Most likely they were the TAPCOs...

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I think you mean Hungarian 20-round magazines, made specifically for the AMD-65 because of the front grip. I've never seen Bulgarian 20-rounders.

They show up on occasion in the AK Files marketplace, and they usually aren't cheap! Lately they've been going for over $30 apiece. I'm glad I picked up a few a while back...but I just missed someone selling four for $110 on another forum! :(

Also, be careful, Sportsman's Guide listed some for $13.50 but while the pic showed the steel ones in actuality they were polymer and made in the US. Most likely they were the TAPCOs...

Hungary, Bulgaria... they're all places my geography teachers didn't think were important enough to make me learn the difference about. I'd have definitely made as stink about the SG thing. Hopefully they weren't Pro-mags.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    If AK master MMM doesn't know of any good deals, looks like I'll probably say "Screw it" and go Tapco until there's a buyer's market for Tankers. Tapco aren't nearly as bad as people claim in m experience. Then again I don't do stupid shit like smash my loaded AK into trees at weird, unnatural angles in order to "Prove" Tapcos suck.

Thanks for the help, guys. Still hoping someone knows anything more encouraging....

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Yeah, that's the best I found, too. Supposedly CTD was screwing their customers once again by charging $70 for the same mags.

I'm just gonna go Tapco. No way I'm paying a premium for a mag that holds less rounds than standard. I'm not a completist.

Thanks, though!

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I love the 20 rounders.
    I bought a bunch a few months ago ranging from $20 to $30. They certainly are here and there, and more often times not anywhere, so I figured I would just buy what I needed at the prices they were as I don't see them too often and I don't see them dipping back down to the mid teens like they were a few years ago.

I had luck with the following sites and you may want to keep a watch on them from time to time as well, if you decide you would like to pick any up.

AK47 MAGAZINE 20 RD

AK47 20 Round Magazine - Hungarian 20rd Mags - Keepshooting®

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I bought 4 with the mag pouch for $94 2 weeks post sandy hook. But, after that I havent seen any at the gun shows etc. Tapcos are what Im seeing.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I have several in my cart right now. Whether I can find a good deal on a metal tanker will decide whether I throw a 20 rd tapco in there and click "Order."

Looks like a lot of people are trying to clear out Tapco stock in anticipation of the new AK Pmag. Personally I don't see how one is going to be better than the other, considering the Pmag has no metal reinforcement (yet).

Maybe I missed it, but this was the first I seen of them, of course they are already sold out.
    Magpul AK MOE PMAG 30RD 7.62X39 MAGAZINE BLACK

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Maybe I missed it, but this was the first I seen of them, of course they are already sold out.
    Magpul AK MOE PMAG 30RD 7.62X39 MAGAZINE BLACK

I am not sure they're shipping yet, but it is suppose to be soon. They've been "coming soon" for about a year now, and some claim their pending release is why TAPCO mags are selling for $4.99 apiece. I'm not sure if that's the case but there's so much fanboy excitement over the Magpul that it's nauseating, they are not steel-lipped mags and essentially won't be that different than the TAPCOs to warrant all the giddiness over their release.

I've run TAPCOs in most of my AKs (a few won't take them) and have never had a problem with them. I actually just picked up two of the black smooth-sided Intrafuse ones from Top Brass and like 'em, I previously snagged a couple of the orange (bakelike looking) ones and take them to the range instead of my real Russian bakelites.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Tanker mags have really dried up lately, this is about the best price I've found them at lately...

Hungarian AK-47 20-Round Magazine

Shipping to SA was $10.95, so four would be $122.75 to your door (a tad over $30 apiece).

Did you buy any of those? Are they good quality? I need 20-rounders for my first AK; 30-round magazines curve so far forward they interfere with getting ahold of the grip.

If you vouch for 'em, I'll order at least 10 but I should probably have 20, shouldn't I?

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Did you buy any of those? Are they good quality? I need 20-rounders for my first AK; 30-round magazines curve so far forward they interfere with getting ahold of the grip.

If you vouch for 'em, I'll order at least 10 but I should probably have 20, shouldn't I?

They are surplus so they may vary as far as appearance. But I will say I own many of them (from different sources) and never had any issues with them as far as function. I have yet to get a bad surplus AK mag to be honest, but I am sure they are around here and there.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Yep, my experience has been the same as Southpaw's. I am sure they'll be fine, and if by the odd chance you get a back one the vendor will replace it; but that's not likely necessary...

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Also, WhatACountry.com has 50 in stock as of right now. Every other place I've found has one or two and if you are going to pay shipping, it might as well be from one shipment then a few, right?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Ben

I already have three, which is enough for me. I actually obtained them before owning an AMD-65, the Hungarian AK they were designed for. As you can see, the front grip makes their use almost a necessity...

IMG_6827_zpse07fbb01.jpg

IMG_6823_zpsf4cd9f9b.jpg

But, as you can see in this screen capture from a range video, you can use TAPCO mags in them...but mag changes take a little more time and effort!

AMD-651_0000015885_zpseb605852.jpg

That said, I may just pick up a couple of TAPCO 20-round polymer mags just for shits and giggles! :D

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom