• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Welp, installed my new alarm.com thermostat today and the furnace and outdoor fan aren't turning on. Put the original Honeywell back on and still won't work.

Upstairs works fine, so i know I didnt fudge up the wiring.

Checked the shutoff fuse, the breaker box breaker, and furnace breaker...

Any last minute ideas before I get the warranty guy out on Monday? Brand new carrier units. Just afraid they'll try to blame the thermostat, even though i out the Honeywell back on.

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    ARJ Defense ad

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Simple things first. Did you remember to flip the switch back on? Like the switch next to the unit, in case you turned that off while doing the install?

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Simple things first. Did you remember to flip the switch back on? Like the switch next to the unit, in case you turned that off while doing the install?
    no switch, just that giant thing, looks like a huge fuse that you can remove and flip for "off"

but double-checked that, triple-checked all the breakers.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Other than switches, you could have accidentally shorted something if you attempted to wire it incorrectly but I doubt that is the case. Did you confirm voltage to the leads going to thermostat? I'd probably start there before screwing with anything else.

I had planned on installing a nice LED one from Honeywell but didn't have a C wire ran. I still need to get that done but an electrician, my back is too tore up to do that crap anymore.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Did you check that the new t-stat had the proper cycle settings for the furnace/a/c

Possibly blew main fuse, happens if thermostat is wired incorrectly, wire by function not color

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Other than switches, you could have accidentally shorted something if you attempted to wire it incorrectly but I doubt that is the case. Did you confirm voltage to the leads going to thermostat? I'd probably start there before screwing with anything else.

I had planned on installing a nice LED one from Honeywell but didn't have a C wire ran. I still need to get that done but an electrician, my back is too tore up to do that crap anymore.
    didn't confirm the voltage. Just wondering if it's something simple I'm overlooking before I submit a warranty claim. New construction house and we haven't even moved in yet.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Did you check that the new t-stat had the proper cycle settings for the furnace/a/c

Possibly blew main fuse, happens if thermostat is wired incorrectly, wire by function not color

I wired it up the same way the old one came out. The upstairs one works just fine.

Where is the main fuse located? Our external box just has the giant fuse/jumper looking thing, I swapped it between the 2 units and both seem to be functioning.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I wired it up the same way the old one came out. The upstairs one works just fine.

Where is the main fuse located? Our external box just has the giant fuse/jumper looking thing, I swapped it between the 2 units and both seem to be functioning.
    There should be a breaker in your main power panel as well as a shutoff by the exterior condenser.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Did you try the upstairs thermostat downstairs?
    Maybe the one unit is bad.
    no, but the original Honeywell t-stat isn't working either
    There should be a breaker in your main power panel as well as a shutoff by the exterior condenser.
    checked those. no breaker outside, just the big fuse thing.
    Did the unit work before you swapped the thermostat the first time?
    it worked at some point, didn't test it immediately before.
    brand new house and we're not moved in yet. so haven't really messed around with it.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    my google-fu tells me i may have blown a little automotive style fuse on the transformer itself, I'll have to check it out tomorrow

Sent from my SIG Sauer

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    There is an internal surge fuse in the the interior unit itself; unfortunately you will have to have an HVAC Tech come out to diagnose btw depends on your unit: that fuse costs $50-$100

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    well I'll be damned. 3a just like the interwebs telled me. must have shorted power wire when installing the tstat. because breakers are for pussies.
    202409d6478349b03536479c007b41eb.jpg
    54c39d9bc2b06c6552b801e9a04f8353.jpg

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    So this is the reason for the pain...

Alarm.com home automation.
    Got the 2 thermostats, adding the front deadbolt once I stain my door, and the lame skybell doorbell for my wife.
    Eventually will add the switches for some lighting.

I think I mentioned in another thread I got 9 ethernet drops on the exterior for POE cameras, I'll be running those on a separate server w/ dedicated software.

Anyhow, pretty convenient app to control all this pointless stuff

12b003d02280ef58bf8f805f2bb3b396.jpg

Sent from my SIG Sauer

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    That is the output fuse of the 28V control power transformer. Most people kill that by shorting the wires while installing the thermostat.

Top Bottom