Gun Zone Deals

Any issues with Zinc Plated Steel Case 223/556 Ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    As stated in title, just wanting to see if anyone is having any issues with this type of case. I've only shot brass, but due to the cost and availability, this may have to do for now.

TIA..
    Hurley's Gold

Miloe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    DFW
    Might get your action a little dirtier than shooting brass, since steel doesn't expand/seal the chamber quite as well as brass.
    I figure that the action/bolt/etc is made out of harder steel than the shell casing so it should be good to go.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I've shot it all, basically. For the most part, all brass cases fired just fine. Steel and other (basically all but not brass) is more of a crap shoot. Some runs just fine, some gave me trouble. Just seemed to be the difference in the manufacturer more than the steel/lacquer/zinc coating. My suggestion is to buy a box or two and give it a go. If no trouble, then go for it, otherwise, avoid it. Also, as mentioned above, shooting steel cases does seem to give more fouling than brass does.

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    I tried some Herters in my Bushmaster Ar 15. I guess it was steel casing, it was almost black. Got it real cheap. After shooting a few rounds when the receiver got hot I had ejection and feed problems. The rounds were coated with something that got sticky when the heat melted the coating. The range officer said he saw a lot of that and I should not use it. So I gave it away to a man that had a bolt action and it worked for him. I now only use brass and have no more problems.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    DTI upper..

I've had carbon build-up in the chamber cause failure to extract on my AR. Not a fan of steel cased ammo in ARs. Yours might be fine with it, but the stuff is dirty and not nearly as accurate as even some low-end brass-cased ammo (my AR is about 3-4 MOA with steel-cased ammo, sub-MOA with American Eagle 55gr.) IMO it's worth a little extra to get decent ammo.

Top Bottom