• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Ive been kayak fishing for about 15 years. I was just wondering who else enjoys the sport. I was thinking maybe we can get a group trip of a few of us down to the coast to rip some lips. I was thinking anywhere between Sabine to Baffin for fishing.... open to suggestions.
    Hurley's Gold

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have a kayak I bought for fishing. All my kids have used the crap out of it, and I have yet to use it.

But I would like to. I planned to put in by Port A and paddle the lighthouse trails there.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Been hunting and fishing out of yaks & canoes for years. Lots of fun if you got your sh1t wired tight.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Looks like we have interest from few of yall. I knew I wasn't the only kayak fisherman.
    I used to fish a lot of kayak tournaments over the years...fresh & salt water.

Have yall heard of the Lone Star Kayak Series? It's a kayak fishing tournament for redfish out of Gaveston. I started it back in 2012...sold it at the end of the 2015 season. Our biggest event was April 2015... 176 anglers at one event & is still the largest record for a kayak series in Texas.
    The biggest event before that was 91 anglers in April of 2014. Talk about a jump in participation...lol. I was thinking we would of had 120 or so... boy was i wrong.

Any way if yall are interested let's try to plan a March trip to some where.

Last edited:

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I’ve fished the coast quite a bit, one moment that stands out is pulling a large redfish up to the the side of my yak with my legs dangling over the sides of my boat. A large black tip came up out of nowhere mouth agape and bit the ass end of the fish off right behind the pectorals and right next to my leg. It startled me so bad my butt damn near blew me out of my seat like an ejection seat in an aircraft. It happened so fast, it was over before it registered in my brain that a big ass fish could have taken off my foot as easily as it de-assed my fish. I was in a group several miles from shore and would have bled out right there in my boat.

That was one of many, many lessons learned. I could write a book about some of the crazy and stupid shit I’ve seen and experienced while fishing and duck hunting out of yaks and canoes.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    That was one of many, many lessons learned. I could write a book about some of the crazy and stupid shit I’ve seen and experienced while fishing and duck hunting out of yaks and canoes.

Yep lots of crazy stuff can happen quickly if you dont stay on your toes & head on a swivel.

I had a similar experience but with trout on my stringer in West Bay. I had been seeing a 8' bull shark in the area over a few week period. Finally one day had some trout on the stringer hanging on the left side & was sitting side saddle on the right side ... he damn near ripped my kayak out from under me when he hit my stringer. It looked like someone dropped a Volkswagen when he swirled & hit.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    What yall think about a east matagorda weekend camping trip...gotta have 4wd though...if not maybe meet up & park, swap gear over to someone with 4wd.
    I got a buddy down there we could probably use to park a car or 2 for the weekend.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I'm looking to set up a rig. Please share your experiences/opinions of drive system alternatives.

I think I want an alternative to paddle. Pedal is attractive, but the floats with prices I like aren't set up for the pedal systems. So, I'm stuck deciding whether to pay in for a pedal possible yak.

Thanks.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I used to be on the Hobie pro staff, the mirage pedal drives are nice, especially since they added the reverse lever.
    It's worth the price IMO. Your legs are stronger than arms & your not as sore out after a long trip...6-10miles in a day is possible & not be as wore out.

Your height, weight & fishing style will depend on what model you want to go with.

Main thing is wide = stable but slow.
    Narrow ...faster but not as stable.
    Paddle before you buy. There will be some demo days coming up after the fishing show in Houston. Usually Austin Canoe & Kayak ... and Fishing Tackle Unlimited will have demos in April.

If your interested in paddle kayaks check out the Viking's, Native's Wilderness Systems or Ocean Kayak.
    Native also has a peddle drive... ive peddled them before & they are o.k. but i'm a Hobie guy when it comes to peddel drives.

Last edited:

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Sorry, going by the thread title I thought you were fishing for kayaks.

another dead frog.....

I was wonding if you were fishing around for a bazinga.

On a serious note ... the guys in California that fish offshore have to worry about Great Whites & have kayaks attacked by Great Whites....glad all we have to worry about are bull sharks.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I'm looking to set up a rig. Please share your experiences/opinions of drive system alternatives.

I think I want an alternative to paddle. Pedal is attractive, but the floats with prices I like aren't set up for the pedal systems. So, I'm stuck deciding whether to pay in for a pedal possible yak.

Thanks.

Best advice I can give is test drive as many hulls as you can before buying and practice open water re-entry. YouTube has vids that will show various methods if need be.

The rule of (my) thumb is a 14ft+ SOT that’s designed for saltwater, or a SOT 12ft for freshwater if you anticipate covering open water with chop. I hunt waterfowl out of a Yak/canoe hybrid, a 12ft Native Ultimate, but I follow the shoreline and avoid open water. If I’m paddling at night (which is always if I’m in the yak for waterfowl) I use a mil issue helmet mounted strobe on a 10ft mast that has 2-mile visibility to other boats that might be in the area and a helmet mounted PVS14 so I can see in the dark. And I always give my wife an itinerary jic. Never compromise your safety.

If you anticipate fishing offshore in the gulf, an 18v lithium variable speed cordless drill and a 5ft long piece of all thread with a 2-bladed trolling motor prop attached on the end can be used for emergency propulsion. Keep in mind that a powered yak requires registration per Texas regulations but it will propel your yak faster than a scalded jackrabbit if need be. Again, search YouTube for some how-to’s and examples.

In the salt beyond the breakers, you will encounter sharks. Not if, but when. I found that sitting in a yak a ways offshore, with a large shark in close proximity or on the hook, alarming, to put it mildly.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom