Any laws pertaining to a concealed shotgun/rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    It is perfectly legal for you to carry on your motorcycle as long as it is out of sight.

If it was observed by someone and the felt "alarmed" then they could report it to the police and you could be charged with Penal Code 42.01 (8) which is a class C misd.
    Negative. The law makes no allowances for someone that "felt" alarmed. To make an arrest an officer has to have probable cause that you "calculated" to cause alarm.

Read the statute.
    Venture Surplus ad

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Doesn't the motorcycle become your domicile when traveling? I think so, but a handgun would be much more clever. Just keep it covered. Can't be on your hip without a CHL. You can carry the rifle covered but it would be awkward on a bike.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    It just amazes me how ill informed the average citizen is about gun laws. Txinvestigator is exactly correct in his responses.

The problem is I have come across many officers that are equally ill informed about the law. If one were to open carry a long gun on a motorcycle, I would give him anout 30 minutes before he was stopped, jacked up and probably jailed (at least in the Austin area).

WTS, I have arrested exactly one person for UCW in 25 years. I have counseled with dozens about the proper (legal) procedure to transport firearms.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The norm. that I grew up knowing was at least 1 rifle or shotgun in one rack and a Hot Shot in the other along with a lariat hanging on one side. .

Me too....sign of the times I guess....and also inviting somebody to break into your truck nowadays, lol.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Me too....sign of the times I guess....and also inviting somebody to break into your truck nowadays, lol.

Exactly. Back then, door locks probably didn't even work because they never got used. Windows were rolled up when it rained, or if it had A/C and it even got used. ;)

I actually do miss the old days.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What about if I had a briefcase with an AR-15 broken down in there? Not talking about carrying it into a store but just for transport or say taking it to my office and then out to the range afterward.

I'll say this too, I see some negativity in here toward the people who don't know the bounds of what they are legally allowed to do in this case. I am included in this group and I think it's intelligent for someone to ask a question like this before they go out and try it first hand. Why? Because breaking laws regarding firearms is jail or prison time in many cases and avoiding that is a good idea. I couldn't care less what would fly in a rural area 20 years ago, times have changed and it's still important to be civil to people wondering the legallity of what they are doing.

Carry on.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    What about if I had a briefcase with an AR-15 broken down in there? Not talking about carrying it into a store but just for transport or say taking it to my office and then out to the range afterward.
    Not illegal.

I'll say this too, I see some negativity in here toward the people who don't know the bounds of what they are legally allowed to do in this case. I am included in this group and I think it's intelligent for someone to ask a question like this before they go out and try it first hand.
    It is. Keep asking; that is why forums like this exist. ;)

TexasT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    NE Texas
    unless there is a city ordinance regulating this and you arent waving this gun like a mad man and just riding your motorcycle its perfectly legal in Texas . it would be legal walking why not riding a Bike...of course putting it in a bag, gun case, whatever would probably draw less and unwanted attention from the freaks who would call 911 on you.

cubsin2079

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    This question was asked on The Firing Line forum also. Its almost gotta be the same guy. It was a pretty good flaming he took there.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    unless there is a city ordinance regulating this and you arent waving this gun like a mad man and just riding your motorcycle its perfectly legal in Texas . it would be legal walking why not riding a Bike...of course putting it in a bag, gun case, whatever would probably draw less and unwanted attention from the freaks who would call 911 on you.

Local ordinance/laws don't supersede State law.

Dragk913

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    South Houston
    This question was asked on The Firing Line forum also. Its almost gotta be the same guy.

Wasn't me. I go by the same username on all forums and have only asked this question once (it was this thread). I actually thought I had an original idea because I tried searching google for an answer but couldn't find one.

Anywho, I really appreciate everyone's help with this matter.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    There is roughly 100,000 people in the city I live in and you still see the older people with the guns in the gun rack, the one I always see is probally in his late 60's and its an AK with a magazine in the rifle. No one bothers him and all that comes to my mind when I see him is I hope no one steals it.

Ruger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Houston
    Don't try that in Houston, or Fort Bend, you will go to jail, I am speaking from experience, I have been told many times I can carry un-conceled as long as I am traveling. You can carry like that after you bond out, pay a lawyer and court cost. They gave me my gun back, and dismissed the cases. My lawyer told me I was doing nothing wrong. I caught that case three times, one with a long gun, and twice with a handgun. So I can personaly speak from experience, that it does not matter what a statue or law says, they are going to do what every that want. Its sad but its the truth.

Ruger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Houston
    I highlighted traveling for a reason. Someone give me the legal definition of traveling according to the gun laws

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    THere is no spcific definition in the law book its the da's discretion. Which from what I understand houstons da is not a good one to confront very anti gun.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom