Patriot Mobile

Any laws pertaining to a concealed shotgun/rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Don't try that in Houston, or Fort Bend, you will go to jail, I am speaking from experience, I have been told many times I can carry un-conceled as long as I am traveling. You can carry like that after you bond out, pay a lawyer and court cost. They gave me my gun back, and dismissed the cases. My lawyer told me I was doing nothing wrong. I caught that case three times, one with a long gun, and twice with a handgun. So I can personaly speak from experience, that it does not matter what a statue or law says, they are going to do what every that want. Its sad but its the truth.

Can you explain how you were charged with a crime when supposedly no crime, anything else, was committed? That would actually be a crime that the LEO would face.
    Lynx Defense

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I highlighted traveling for a reason. Someone give me the legal definition of traveling according to the gun laws

It doesn't matter. There is no law pertaining to a long gun in your vehicle, concealed or not. Therefore, there's more to the story or your Attorney was had escaped from the mental ward and had always wanted to be a lawyer on TV.

And how did the concealed handguns get discovered? Unless you told them, or they had reason to search, which likely means there's something else going one that would actually make it not legal.

Skepticism is blooming.

Ruger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Houston
    Both times I was charged with un-lawful carrying. I had no drugs, and no other crimes were committed. Which was my first question, why did you pull me over in the first place. Anyway what happened was when he asked for my insurance, I opened the glove box and he saw the mags, mind you that the pistol was in the trunk. Ran the numbers and figured it was mine. Still had to go to jail for UCF, and had no other charges, to this day I still dont know why he even pulled me over. Bailed out went to court, got it dismissed, couple months later they gave me back my pistol. Second time, got pulled over, cops asked me if I had anything in the car, I told him I have my personal firearm, again went to jail same charge same thing happen, couple months later they gave it back. The long gun case was kinda different, it had belong to my father and I was pretty much in front of the house, they had a lot to say and none of it was that I was legal, but they did let me go.So what did I do wrong according to H.B 1815. Both times I was traveling, and there is no definition to traveling. But what am I suspossed to do, fight with the cop, resist arrest. You gotta take it (with no vaseline). Wish it wasnt that way, and I dont want to say it ---but---yes I am a young black man, and yes my car does have rims

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Wish it wasnt that way, and I dont want to say it ---but---yes I am a young black man, and yes my car does have rims

I kinda want to do a social experiment. I want to drive around in Houston in a donk banging screw with some incredibly dark window tent, but dressed in a suit. See if the police react any differently.

I'd imagine it'd throw a loop to see this gangsta slab, pull it over, and then see some nerdy white dude in a fine, fitted suit driving it when they come up to the window. Who am I kidding, I'd be beaten and tazed probably.

I bet I could make a TV series out of it.

TexasT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    NE Texas
    I kinda want to do a social experiment. I want to drive around in Houston in a donk banging screw with some incredibly dark window tent, but dressed in a suit. See if the police react any differently.

I'd imagine it'd throw a loop to see this gangsta slab, pull it over, and then see some nerdy white dude in a fine, fitted suit driving it when they come up to the window. Who am I kidding, I'd be beaten and tazed probably.

I bet I could make a TV series out of it.

Watch out Reno 911>>>

TexasT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    NE Texas
    It doesn't matter. There is no law pertaining to a long gun in your vehicle, concealed or not. Therefore, there's more to the story or your Attorney was had escaped from the mental ward and had always wanted to be a lawyer on TV.

And how did the concealed handguns get discovered? Unless you told them, or they had reason to search, which likely means there's something else going one that would actually make it not legal.

Skepticism is blooming.

I agree...sounds like some officers are pushing the envelope...either that or he pissed them off and (almost) anyone knows what follows that.
    Possesing a loaded magazine in a glove compartment loaded or not is not a crime. It also amazes me how few people realize that you can tell the officer NO when he/she says "Can I search your car ?"

TexasT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    NE Texas
    Both times I was charged with un-lawful carrying. I had no drugs, and no other crimes were committed. Which was my first question, why did you pull me over in the first place. Anyway what happened was when he asked for my insurance, I opened the glove box and he saw the mags, mind you that the pistol was in the trunk. Ran the numbers and figured it was mine. Still had to go to jail for UCF, and had no other charges, to this day I still dont know why he even pulled me over. Bailed out went to court, got it dismissed, couple months later they gave me back my pistol. Second time, got pulled over, cops asked me if I had anything in the car, I told him I have my personal firearm, again went to jail same charge same thing happen, couple months later they gave it back. The long gun case was kinda different, it had belong to my father and I was pretty much in front of the house, they had a lot to say and none of it was that I was legal, but they did let me go.So what did I do wrong according to H.B 1815. Both times I was traveling, and there is no definition to traveling. But what am I suspossed to do, fight with the cop, resist arrest. You gotta take it (with no vaseline). Wish it wasnt that way, and I dont want to say it ---but---yes I am a young black man, and yes my car does have rims

"Traveling" at one time was a defense to prosecution not protection from arrest. If you are legal in all forms and get pulled over for a traffic violation of any kind...(no license plate light, failure to signal lane change ETC) first make a practice of NOT storing your insurance card where you store your gun accessories, and secondly if he asks if you have anything illegal say NO, and if you get jacked up and taken to jail the officer better have Reasonable and Articulable suspicion a crime has been committed, Third try to obey all traffic laws and inspect your vehicle lights regularly, and lastly if the officer asks "can I search your car?" just say no!

rollingtrouble

rolls faster downhill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    killeen,texas
    In texas a handgun will get you in more trouble than anything else, even with a concealed handgun permit. If it becomes visable, the permit does not protect you from UCW. Long guns i.e. rifles and shotguns can be carried loaded or unloaded cocealed or unconcealed as long as you are not in a prohibited place which are listed in the penal code for all firearms. You can walk down congress ave. in Austin with an AR15 and a loaded Beta C , or a single shot 22 rifle legally. as long as you are not carring it in a manner calculated to alarm. I would suggest slung over the shoulder. The mere presence of the weapon is not a criminal act, how you carry it could be,
    thats not to say that the cops won't stop to ask you why you have it, they will, and my reply has and until they make it illegal to do so, has always been "because it is lawfull" I have run into many cops that try to enforce laws that don't exist, your best protection is to know the law. I have made more than one cop look stupid in front of his supervisor when they try to enforce laws that they cannot find in the penal code.
    ignorance of the law is no excuse and if you're gonna pack any weapon you better know the law better than they do...

rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    Sounds like grounds for a civil suit. Not for discrimination. But for violation of your civil rights. Sue the officers and the department. That's the only way they will learn, sometimes. I say teach 'em a lesson about civil rights. Get in their pocket.

Top Bottom