Capitol Armory ad

Any laws pertaining to a concealed shotgun/rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dragk913

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    South Houston
    Hey guys,

Does anyone know if there are laws about concealed shotguns or rifles (they are of legal length)?

I ride a motorcycle and often want to carry my shotgun or .308 but would rather not draw the attention of just using a sling.
    I was thinking of carrying the gun in a guitar gig bag - so I could be discreet and stop at places (assuming there were no "No Firearms" signs) w/o the store owner calling the cops on a "man with a large gun walking around the store!".

Is this illegal?

I've been going over the Penal Codes but cannot find anything.

Thanks!
    Austin

P.S.: If this has been covered, I apologize. I wasn't having much luck with the search function.
    Hurley's Gold

Dragk913

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    South Houston
    This is illegal dude. Get a CHL and a big caliber handgun if you feel that undergunned. ;)

Hehe. I kinda figured it would be, but one can hope
    Unfortunately, I won't be able to get a CHL until after basic training (Navy), once I'm considered active duty (I'm only 18..).

And it's not really that I feel undergunned, I just enjoy carrying a firearm

Thanks for the info!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Hey guys,

Does anyone know if there are laws about concealed shotguns or rifles (they are of legal length)?

I ride a motorcycle and often want to carry my shotgun or .308 but would rather not draw the attention of just using a sling.
    I was thinking of carrying the gun in a guitar gig bag - so I could be discreet and stop at places (assuming there were no "No Firearms" signs) w/o the store owner calling the cops on a "man with a large gun walking around the store!".

Is this illegal?

I've been going over the Penal Codes but cannot find anything.

Thanks!
    Austin

P.S.: If this has been covered, I apologize. I wasn't having much luck with the search function.

Did you not believe my answers on AR15.com?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    can't you have a long gun in your truck/car...?

There is no prohibition against carrying a shotgun or rifle on a motorcycle either. If it were displayed, you might get a charge of disorderly conduct, displaying a firearm in a public in a manner calculated to alarm, but that's a stretch.

In a case it is perfectly legal.

Dragk913

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    South Houston
    There is no prohibition against carrying a shotgun or rifle on a motorcycle either. If it were displayed, you might get a charge of disorderly conduct, displaying a firearm in a public in a manner calculated to alarm, but that's a stretch.

In a case it is perfectly legal.

I kinda figured the police would pull a "Disturbing the Peace" or something along those lines.

A guitar bag is technically a "case".;)

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    All I can is, I'm 18yrs old and don't have anyone to explain the law to me;
    That's why I posted here, I'm trying to learn more.

That's the sad part. People think everything in our lives require a law to guide us.

I had a PM from another member about this thread; surprised as I am at the number of times this comes up. My take is, young guys that are accustomed only to today's world where everyone thinks we have, or we need laws to guide our every move. Or folks new to Texas.

There was a time when if you saw a gun rack in a truck and it was empty it got more attention that if the bed of the truck was full of Cuban Pigmy Strippers.

The norm. that I grew up knowing was at least 1 rifle or shotgun in one rack and a Hot Shot in the other along with a lariat hanging on one side. Even as a kid 11-12 years old walking down the road with a 12 gauge over your shoulder, if the law pulled up and stopped, it was only to say Hi, and see how you were doing or ask if you'd seen anything.

Y2bad4U

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    polk County
    Dont forget that the way some of us are is because people have involved the law so much. I to remember situations like that, but that was always in a rural area. And alot of people in those areas dont act or react the same as those in urban areas. If I saw someone walking down the street today in the city I live carrying a long gun Id be a little worried. Out in the country, not so much. Peoples attitudes have changed. Its on the elders to teach others this stuff and let them know that laws havent really changed but just people.

Good question, and my take is depends on where you live. In a truck carry it everywhere, on the bike, Id hide it or get the chl when you can. You dont want to bring negative attention to you. For that matter any attention. I like carrying and feel alot better when I do, but I dont want anyone to know. Just alot less headache.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    That's the sad part. People think everything in our lives require a law to guide us.

I had a PM from another member about this thread; surprised as I am at the number of times this comes up. My take is, young guys that are accustomed only to today's world where everyone thinks we have, or we need laws to guide our every move. Or folks new to Texas.

There was a time when if you saw a gun rack in a truck and it was empty it got more attention that if the bed of the truck was full of Cuban Pigmy Strippers.

The norm. that I grew up knowing was at least 1 rifle or shotgun in one rack and a Hot Shot in the other along with a lariat hanging on one side. Even as a kid 11-12 years old walking down the road with a 12 gauge over your shoulder, if the law pulled up and stopped, it was only to say Hi, and see how you were doing or ask if you'd seen anything.
    Cuban pigmy snipers!
    I remember the police pulling up and asking how the dove hunting was a few times that is about it. But you are right it is sad that people are begining to think everything they do must be illegal.

Dragk913

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    South Houston

I would rather know that something is illegal than be ignorant about it (Blissful or not).

Unfortunately, that time has passed, or atleast in my part of town it has.
    Just about everyone is liberal/hates guns and the cops are on power trips.
    If I lived out in the country (or small town), I probably wouldn't worry as much, but that's not the case. :(

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009

+1, but consider the fact that in this day and age most everything IS dictated by law in one form or another. Especially for those of us "transplants" who lived in places like Commiefornia where it would have been big trouble for us to walk down the street with a long gun in most places. You are used to how things are here and are accustomed to the local laws. For some it's also difficult to navigate the legalize and figure out what is okay without someone to explain what some of the wording means.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Magnolia Area
    legal

It is perfectly legal for you to carry on your motorcycle as long as it is out of sight.

If it was observed by someone and the felt "alarmed" then they could report it to the police and you could be charged with Penal Code 42.01 (8) which is a class C misd.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Magnolia Area
    I would rather know that something is illegal than be ignorant about it (Blissful or not).

Unfortunately, that time has passed, or atleast in my part of town it has.
    Just about everyone is liberal/hates guns and the cops are on power trips.
    If I lived out in the country (or small town), I probably wouldn't worry as much, but that's not the case. :(

Well I'm glad I don't work in your town. I don't think I could stand all my co-workers being on power trips?

Top Bottom