• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasT/A

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Amarillo
    I just started the police academy a few weeks ago, and we just started the 2 week class on the penal code. How in the hell do you remember all this stuff?

I'm kind of freaking out because we have tests every day and if we fail 2 tests we're out of the academy. Me and 6 other people failed today's test and we still have 4 months before we take the TCLEOSE test :eek:

Anyone have any studying/memorization tips? I'm already stressed out of my damn mind :(
    Hurley's Gold

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Do not stress out.The Penal codes are easier to remember when you are not stressed out.I took the basic peace officer course and passed it because I had time to study.Find somewhere where no TVs or computers can distract you.If you have too, write down the codes a few times to help you remember.I worked for a year and then joined the Army which ruined my LEO career(shrapnel in knee from grenade).Just hang on and do not let the instructor get to you.Someday you might have the guys job and thats the way I saw it so I did not let the yelling and screaming get to me.Good luck.

carney

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2008
    Outside DFW metromess.
    Here are the things I did in the academy and I guess it worked cause I graduated 2nd in the class. Take LOTS of notes, highlight the important sections in the law book (AKA Bible for the academy). Before the test get the whole class or a buddy or whatever and have a quiz session ask each other questions that you think would be on the test. Also for most of the major type test's and also the TCLEOSE test there are several websites out there that offer practice exams. Here is my personal favorite from the academy, http://www.victoriacollege.edu/practicetestpa3
    If you have any other questions or anything just shoot me a message also if you are looking for a job just let me know, and Good Luck!

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    I wish you well, but I would certainly hope that you ARE required to remember all these laws. If you are going to strap a gun on your hip and go out there and enforce "mala en se" and "mala prohibitum" alike, I would certainly expect you to know the laws.

After all, *I* am required to know the laws (ignorance is no excuse after all) - and I would expect the same from the LEO crew.

carney

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2008
    Outside DFW metromess.
    Yes you are required to remember the penal code and code of criminal procedure in its entirety, however there are other sections of the academy that aren't AS important, however important none the less.

Slotback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    What everyone said here......study, study, study. Basically you can forget having a life for the next few weeks.

Now get off the internet and back to studying.

TexasT/A

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Amarillo
    I wish you well, but I would certainly hope that you ARE required to remember all these laws. If you are going to strap a gun on your hip and go out there and enforce "mala en se" and "mala prohibitum" alike, I would certainly expect you to know the laws.

After all, *I* am required to know the laws (ignorance is no excuse after all) - and I would expect the same from the LEO crew.

:rolleyes:

I was asking for studying/memorization tips from people who have been through this before, not complaining that I have to know it ;)

And we're already done with penal code.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Are you taking one of the CAPCOG academy classes? Are you taking the day class{6 months} or Night class{9 months}

If you are in the day class the best thing you can do is get plenty of sleep, eat a good meal before class, and try writing things down to help you remember.

The night class I would suggest getting a nap before class if possible{ snooze in th eparking lot in your car} and eating a good meal.

Good luck, study hard.

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    What part are you on now? Your going to have fun with arrest/search and siezure, and CCP, Family code, ABC, and transportation. I used note cards to help me with penal code. Did you have to memorize/remember the punishments that went along with penal code? Our instructor made us memorize or at least remember them well enough. Report writing might put you to sleep, also dealing with mental disorders and identifying them as well is tough enough. One part I had trouble with was the different kinds of crime scene sketches and identifying them as well.

Top Bottom