• ...and so much more!
  • Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I have a few questions for someone that knows Mac kind of well. I just seems like moving things around is harder than one would think.
    Venture Surplus ad

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Yep, made the switch myself back in '08, develop on 'em all day every day. What'cha need help with?

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Not sure what you mean about file handling being odd. It uses a Hierarchical File System (HFS) Plus to manage its files and has since the late 90's, is your system older than that?

While is does get rid of files by replacing them or overwriting, that is limited to generally system upgrades. Most files you will need to trash them yourself when you no longer need them.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I have been using PC like forever and Mac seems to hide jpg files because I can't find them in Finder. I is prolly ok just going to take some time I guess.

2sam22

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Georgetown, TX
    Stay with the Mac, you'll soon love it. I switched over in 08. Macbook still runs like a top, no issues. We have 3 Macs in the family now. Zero PCs. Easy.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I have been using PC like forever and Mac seems to hide jpg files because I can't find them in Finder. I is prolly ok just going to take some time I guess.
    Not sure how you got them but if you downloaded them they were auto put in the downloads folder, or you can change your Prefs like I did and all my downloads go into a folder on the desktop.

filmtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    San Antonio area
    I trashed a bunch of photos in iPhoto and emptied trash and they still show up on my back ground and screen saver.

Open System Preferences>Desktop & Screen Saver and change the photos. Prefs is keeping a copy FROM iPhoto and wasn't trashed when you trashed the iPhoto ones. I believe. Give that a try...

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Heh you want to talk about hiding files, and point a finger at the Mac? ;) The filesystem layout (and filesystem itself) is worlds better on a Mac than on Windows. WinSxS, need I say more? lol

FWIW, when you delete the files from iPhoto, they indeed are gone despite the image still showing as your background. Pretty simple to verify - right click the desktop, select "Change Desktop Background", and tell me what happens. *poof* - plain color background. What happens is OSX creates an in-memory copy of the background image to enable fast compositing of everything that is displayed on screen. Move a window, and a portion of the screen has to be redrawn. If this redrawing had to load the image from disk every time you moved something, there would be very serious performance problems. So, when the desktop is initially loaded, the BG image is tucked away in memory.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    If you are uploading from your fone or camera then iPhoto will auto open and ask you if you want to import.

If you think the Mac is difficult then play in the MS world, can you say friggin nightmare, no adherence to any standards, never have, its software by committee. Its so bad that with nearly 200 SW engineers working for me IF you have ever worked at MS, you did not get an interview in my org.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom