Target Sports

Any OCers (OpenCarriers) in ELP...beside me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hello to all...

I'm looking to have some (hopefully on a regular basis at some point) "OC Get-Togethers" here in El Paso...but need to find out if anyone reading this particular ELP sub-forum is an OCer or knows someone who is, as this is mostly about OCing vs. CCing. These informal events would mainly be at area Village Inns, IHOPS or Denny's in different parts of town on a rotating basis.

As per my "policy" when I was doing OC events in CO and NM, although the focus is on OCing (and all that goes with it), CCers are always invited to attend...as are people/newbies-to-guns who may be only thinking about carrying (however they want to carry: CC or OC). Or maybe people looking for LTC class info, tips and such from people who have taken it.

Anyway, just doing some research right now to see if getting something going here in ELP is feasible -- or not. ;-)

You can post responses here, but it may be better to PM me re: any interest you have. Even if only a few people are interested, we SHOULD start some kind of interaction here with and get to know other carriers vs. the "Lone Wolf" situation where each of us does our own thing out there in a vacuum (if you will).

ELP is a big enough city that we should have a number of carriers (the vast majority CCers of course), and so should be able to organize to some degree. Even if not much to start, it'd be a work-in-progress.

Let me know...

Regards,

BR

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    Hello to all...

I'm looking to have some (hopefully on a regular basis at some point) "OC Get-Togethers" here in El Paso...but need to find out if anyone reading this particular ELP sub-forum is an OCer or knows someone who is, as this is mostly about OCing vs. CCing. These informal events would mainly be at area Village Inns, IHOPS or Denny's in different parts of town on a rotating basis.

As per my "policy" when I was doing OC events in CO and NM, although the focus is on OCing (and all that goes with it), CCers are always invited to attend...as are people/newbies-to-guns who may be only thinking about carrying (however they want to carry: CC or OC). Or maybe people looking for LTC class info, tips and such from people who have taken it.

Anyway, just doing some research right now to see if getting something going here in ELP is feasible -- or not. ;-)

You can post responses here, but it may be better to PM me re: any interest you have. Even if only a few people are interested, we SHOULD start some kind of interaction here with and get to know other carriers vs. the "Lone Wolf" situation where each of us does our own thing out there in a vacuum (if you will).

ELP is a big enough city that we should have a number of carriers (the vast majority CCers of course), and so should be able to organize to some degree. Even if not much to start, it'd be a work-in-progress.

Let me know...

Regards,

BR

In the year we have had OC, I have only seen two people OC in ELP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    In the year we have had OC, I have only seen two people OC in ELP.

...and that's one reason for these events: So the public (and cops) can see MORE "We the People" carrying! ;-)

"D&E"

"Desensitizing & Educating" -- Something only OCers can do (no offense meant towards CCers, it's just a fact).

And I was just doing some of that one-on-one D&E out @ the Lowes/Trans Mountain Rd recently talking to a sales associate who is looking to get her permit ASAP. She complimented me on my gun -- my first encounter with someone seeing me OCing -- and the conversation went on from there. Told her the next time I was back there I'd "check" on her progress, as I try to get as many people as I can motivated (and encouraged) to pursue their goal of getting a LTC permit: Not just continue to THINK about doing so, but go and DO it.

So that was a very positive incident...as ALL the similar encounters I had up in CO (Colorado Springs, Aurora, Arvada, Littleton, Lakewood, Broomfield, Highland Ranch, Parker, etc.) and NM -- ABQ and Rio Rancho mostly.

Anyway, I hope to meet other OCers (if any, as there may be NONE but me so far) soon or, at least other "interested parities" as described above in my first post if we can get an event scheduled.

BRD@66,

Thanks for the Welcome!

Regards,

-- BR

P.S. I've lived in ELP for a LONG time, just moved away for 8 years (2008 to 2016 -- Galveston, TX, and Colorado Springs, CO) and now am back...at least for ~3 years anyway. In 2019? Who knows...

Looking forward to "Constitutional Carry" in TX, IF that ever happens...or at least "no permit required OC" being passed in Austin. Until then, my LTC will have to do. ;-)

Moving here from CO where I could OC feely (without a permit, even though I DID have a CO CC permit) I just HATED to be out & about UN-armed (legally dis-armed) here in TX for 60 days awaiting my permit. Mine took 59 days exactly, 1 day short of the deadline.

Last edited:

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    My preference is to CC but I wouldn't mind meeting up with other folks for some bread breaking.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    kirk10100,

Yes, Most people will never OC, that's just how it is.

Still, everyone is invited to these OC events as we all share something in common: Self-Defense Carrying! So I want to be "inclusive" -- dare I use a flaming-liberal buzzword here on TexasGunTalk? Will I be banned already? ;-)

Will give it some more time here to see if other are interested, then will get back to you via PM about getting together.

One problem with El Paso: Trying to find a way to REACH "gun people" here in town, since if they don't read this forum (or other Texas forums) then they don't know about any of this. It'd be great to have a "Craigslist" (which just about everyone has heard of) type place for gun-related things...but we don't.

It may be necessary to start a new website (but not a discussion forum): Just a central go-to place for publicizing get-together events & gun news, perhaps something called "OpenCarryElPaso." Worth looking into I guess...but for now, I'm posting here to see if how many/if any local carriers of ANY persuasion (CC, OC and gun newbies) are interested.

Later then,

-- BR

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    kirk10100,

Yes, Most people will never OC, that's just how it is.

Still, everyone is invited to these OC events as we all share something in common: Self-Defense Carrying! So I want to be "inclusive" -- dare I use a flaming-liberal buzzword here on TexasGunTalk? Will I be banned already? ;-)

Will give it some more time here to see if other are interested, then will get back to you via PM about getting together.

One problem with El Paso: Trying to find a way to REACH "gun people" here in town, since if they don't read this forum (or other Texas forums) then they don't know about any of this. It'd be great to have a "Craigslist" (which just about everyone has heard of) type place for gun-related things...but we don't.

It may be necessary to start a new website (but not a discussion forum): Just a central go-to place for publicizing get-together events & gun news, perhaps something called "OpenCarryElPaso." Worth looking into I guess...but for now, I'm posting here to see if how many/if any local carriers of ANY persuasion (CC, OC and gun newbies) are interested.

Later then,

-- BR

Cool. Let me know.
    What about facebook? I personally don't have an account but that may be a good way to reach folks. Perhaps El Paso gun trader?

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    BCGlocker,

No, did not know about that OCT/El Paso Facebook page as I don't use Facebook. I certainly HAVE heard of OCT, but not any OCT/El Paso.

Will go there to see what they have going on. Thanks...

kirk10100,

Still looking to see about responses HERE in this forum, but so far not looking good. Will give it a bit more time and then be getting back to you for a meet-up, if you still want to.

Later then,

-- BR

Last edited:

tC_Matt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    2cc3214c11343bdbbdc7a5d73990c9dd.jpg
    362eddf27fc4e15f7f551e4f00a5ce78.jpg

I OC occasionally. But I'm 30 minutes north of Austin though.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    tC_Matt,

I OC 99.9% of the time...but like when I was in Colorado, the only place I don't was/is on Federal property -- meaning the SS office, VA Clinics, military bases and the USPS.

Everywhere else I go here in El Paso, I do.

And I like it that neighboring NM is also an OC state, so when I go up to Las Cruces I can OC there, too.

Do you have some kind of positive retention device on your holster (didn't see one)? I ask because since I OC, I wanted a good Level II retention device "just in case" someone tried a gun-grab (plus, I have another "preventive measure" I can apply if that were to happen). My previous OC holster was a leather one with a retention strap/snap (pretty effective but not THAT great). Recently though I switched to those polymer holsters with the trigger guard locking button: Blackhawk Serpa CQC and a Tactical Scorpion/Cytac "roto" holster.

Problem was that neither company makes a holster specifically for my carry gun (9mm EAA Witness P-S FDE, which I got online from Tombstone Tactical in AZ), so I had to order one "close enough" that would work, which in my case is the holster for a Sig-Sauer P226 w/rails.

The Witness has been around for about 20 years I guess, but Blackhawk, Cytac and IMI Defense don't make a holster for it! Even though the Witness is "a CZ-75 clone" the IMI Defense CZ-75 "Roto Rig" holster I bought a few weeks ago did NOT fit the Witness (ALMOST, but not enough), so I had to send it back for a refund. :-(

The Serpa required some modification before it would work (not because the holster was for a Sig P226, but because of the Serpa's mounting system using 3 screws), but the Cytac "roto" holster works fine as-is and I'm presently using the Cytac.

-- BR

Last edited:

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    By the way, I OC this weekend. Of all places it was at a Starbucks. I was carrying all day with my weapon concealed by my hoodie. Starbucks was my last stop and the place was really warm. I didn't want to go hide my gun in my car so I just took the hoodie off.
    I got several concerned stares but no one really bothered me. I was there for an hour and a half, free wi fi, and left with no incidents or questions.

tC_Matt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    tC_Matt,

I OC 99.9% of the time...but like when I was in Colorado, the only place I don't was/is on Federal property -- meaning the SS office, VA Clinics, military bases and the USPS.

Everywhere else I go here in El Paso, I do.

And I like it that neighboring NM is also an OC state, so when I go up to Las Cruces I can OC there, too.

Do you have some kind of positive retention device on your holster (didn't see one)? I ask because since I OC, I wanted a good Level II retention device "just in case" someone tried a gun-grab (plus, I have another "preventive measure" I can apply if that were to happen). My previous OC holster was a leather one with a retention strap/snap (pretty effective but not THAT great). Recently though I switched to those polymer holsters with the trigger guard locking button: Blackhawk Serpa CQC and a Tactical Scorpion/Cytac "roto" holster.

Problem was that neither company makes a holster specifically for my carry gun (9mm EAA Witness P-S FDE, which I got online from Tombstone Tactical in AZ), so I had to order one "close enough" that would work, which in my case is the holster for a Sig-Sauer P226 w/rails.

The Witness has been around for about 20 years I guess, but Blackhawk, Cytac and IMI Defense don't make a holster for it! Even though the Witness is "a CZ-75 clone" the IMI Defense CZ-75 "Roto Rig" holster I bought a few weeks ago did NOT fit the Witness (ALMOST, but not enough), so I had to send it back for a refund. :-(

The Serpa required some modification before it would work (not because the holster was for a Sig P226, but because of the Serpa's mounting system using 3 screws), but the Cytac "roto" holster works fine as-is and I'm presently using the Cytac.

-- BR

Yeah I make sure my OC holster has a retention device. The Safariland ALS has a lever you got to ouch forward with your thumb as you take your pistol out to release it. Gives me piece of mind that someone won't just come and snatch it lol

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    kirk10100,

I've stayed away from Starbucks ever since flaming liberal CEO Howard Schultz came out of the anti-gun closet and said he didn't want guns in his stores, OC or CC -- it didn't matter. He kind of started the "No OC people here" -- IIRC, it was back when OCT was OCing long guns in his stores in TX back when OCing a handgun was just a dream -- and then other stores followed his lead such as Target, Chipotles, and so on. Later Schwartz said he'd not have his employees ask us to leave (didn't want to be "confrontational") but preferred we weren't there in the first place. Okay...you don't have to say it twice!

So since then, I've been boycotting them -- not that they miss my $$, it's just I won't patronize a store that is clearly against what I do -- exercising my RKBA and personal Self-Defense, especially when it's legal! ;-)

I USED to go to a nice Starbucks (this all happened about 3 years ago when I was living in Colorado Springs) that had a great view out their windows of Pike's Peak & the Front Range, so I was kind of sad he took that position. Of course, it's his business & his corporate policy, but I have my "policy" also, and won't spend my $$ at a place that doesn't want my business. Maybe that's just me though...

Soon after I stopped going to Starbucks, I found another nice coffee shop to go to (sadly, they're only in Castle Rock, CO) called "Lost Coffee" and no one bothered me at all...even the local cops who also went there. So Lost Coffee was my choice from then on...

Anyway, I'm presently @ a Village Inn now on the Eastside...was out @ Red Sands earlier zeroing-in my primary OC gun as I had put new (adjustable) rear sights on it....NOW I can carry it again and am doing so here @ VI, and with no issues (as per usual)! :-)

tC_Matt,

Great...I've seen some of the "lever" holsters but not up close. IIRC, some use that lever for their level III retention holsters, too (besides the "cap" that goes over the rear/hammer of the slide).

I don't want to get into a debate HERE about OCing, but do know that the anti-OC crowd uses several lame/erroneous arguments, one of which is "Someone will grab your gun if you OC" -- as if we never even considered that! Sure, it COULD happen, but try to find examples in-reality that is HAS: The fact is that's an ignorant criticism of OCing (along with some others they parrot also). IIRC, a coupe of "OCed" guns WERE taken, but the circumstances of those events weren't what "normal" OCers do, so they're suspicious. Plus, some time recently a CCer got his gun taken. So we ALL have to be aware oif our surrounding and letting people (who raise Red Flags) get too close to us.

Still, since it COULD happen (but why let someone THAT close) most of us have "contingency plans" and someone trying to grab our guns would find that out to their detriment.

Frankly, someone trying to grab my gun gets an instant lethal force response, period. One can reasonably assume it (lethal force) will be used against you if its grabbed, so for me, a lethal response is a given.

I know we can't be on high alert 100% of the time -- not even the experts can -- but usually if one has good SA (Situational Awareness) one usually can see trouble coming. MOST of the time. But again, I don't let people who seem like trouble get that close. It's just common sense.

Still, a good retention holster (and perhaps some retention training also) is more important for us OCers than it is to CCers. To me as an OCer though, accomplishing "D&E" (Desentizing & Educatiing), even in a small one-on-one way, is worth the possible added risk.

Of course, the MAIN reason I OC is the same CCers do: Self-Defense! I just add "D&E" to the mix...

If people get more used to seeing guns "out there" -- and nothing bad happens, and even (sometimes) a carrier (CC or OC) stiops something tragic from happening -- maybe people won't be so quick to vote for anti-gun politicians and support anti-gun agendas & legislation.

So all this goes deeper than just some people choosing to carry a gun openly.

-- BR

Last edited:

tC_Matt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    kirk10100,

I've stayed away from Starbucks ever since flaming liberal CEO Howard Schultz came out of the anti-gun closet and said he didn't want guns in his stores, OC or CC -- it didn't matter. He kind of started the "No OC people here" -- IIRC, it was back when OCT was OCing long guns in his stores in TX back when OCing a handgun was just a dream -- and then other stores followed his lead such as Target, Chipotles, and so on. Later Schwartz said he'd not have his employees ask us to leave (didn't want to be "confrontational") but preferred we weren't there in the first place. Okay...you don't have to say it twice!

So since then, I've been boycotting them -- not that they miss my $$, it's just I won't patronize a store that is clearly against what I do -- exercising my RKBA and personal Self-Defense, especially when it's legal! ;-)

I USED to go to a nice Starbucks (this all happened about 3 years ago when I was living in Colorado Springs) that had a great view out their windows of Pike's Peak & the Front Range, so I was kind of sad he took that position. Of course, it's his business & his corporate policy, but I have my "policy" also, and won't spend my $$ at a place that doesn't want my business. Maybe that's just me though...

Soon after I stopped going to Starbucks, I found another nice coffee shop to go to (sadly, they're only in Castle Rock, CO) called "Lost Coffee" and no one bothered me at all...even the local cops who also went there. So Lost Coffee was my choice from then on...

Anyway, I'm presently @ a Village Inn now on the Eastside...was out @ Red Sands earlier zeroing-in my primary OC gun as I had put new (adjustable) rear sights on it....NOW I can carry it again and am doing so here @ VI, and with no issues (as per usual)! :-)

tC_Matt,

Great...I've seen some of the "lever" holsters but not up close. IIRC, some use that lever for their level III retention holsters, too (besides the "cap" that goes over the rear/hammer of the slide).

I don't want to get into a debate HERE about OCing, but do know that the anti-OC crowd uses several lame/erroneous arguments, one of which is "Someone will grab your gun if you OC" -- as if we never even considered that! Sure, it COULD happen, but try to find examples in-reality that is HAS: The fact is that's an ignorant criticism of OCing (along with some others they parrot also). IIRC, a coupe of "OCed" guns WERE taken, but the circumstances of those events weren't what "normal" OCers do, so they're suspicious. Plus, some time recently a CCer got his gun taken. So we ALL have to be aware oif our surrounding and letting people (who raise Red Flags) get too close to us.

Still, since it COULD happen (but why let someone THAT close) most of us have "contingency plans" and someone trying to grab our guns would find that out to their detriment.

Frankly, someone trying to grab my gun gets an instant lethal force response, period. One can reasonably assume it (lethal force) will be used against you if its grabbed, so for me, a lethal response is a given.

I know we can't be on high alert 100% of the time -- not even the experts can -- but usually if one has good SA (Situational Awareness) one usually can see trouble coming. MOST of the time. But again, I don't let people who seem like trouble get that close. It's just common sense.

Still, a good retention holster (and perhaps some retention training also) is more important for us OCers than it is to CCers. To me as an OCer though, accomplishing "D&E" (Desentizing & Educatiing), even in a small one-on-one way, is worth the possible added risk.

Of course, the MAIN reason I OC is the same CCers do: Self-Defense! I just add "D&E" to the mix...

If people get more used to seeing guns "out there" -- and nothing bad happens, and even (sometimes) a carrier (CC or OC) stiops something tragic from happening -- maybe people won't be so quick to vote for anti-gun politicians and support anti-gun agendas & legislation.

So all this goes deeper than just some people choosing to carry a gun openly.

-- BR

I agree 100%. I'm not strictly an open carry guy. This past weekend was actually my first time. I'll mainly cc but I'm not opposed to OC every once in awhile. It's just nice to have options!

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Yes, having options/choices is always better than having only one.

Well, almost always: I can think of some situations where you can have too many...or even where having only 2 choices makes a decision difficult! ;-)

In a way, sometimes having just ONE choice is a relief of sorts: It makes things so clear & simple.

-- BR

Last edited:

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Personally, 95% of the time I prefer to conceal carry. Over the past 13 years, I have collected numerous IWB and other concealment holsters for my carry pistols. I have not really had an itch to buy anything else than what I know already works for me, and for what I have practiced over the years. Over time, I have improved my draw from concealment to a state that is consistent and quick for my needs.

However, I have practiced open carry from time to time, but to be honest I'm so used to conceal carry that I get self conscience about doing it. It's all in my head I guess. Personally, I never had any negative issues while doing it either.

I too would be open to meet up one day.

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    I usually avoid anti gun establishments but sometimes I have to make an exception. In this case SB has fast free internet. I will buy the cheapest thing they have, $2 cake pop, and sit there for 2-3 hours watching gun videos.

tC_Matt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    Personally, 95% of the time I prefer to conceal carry. Over the past 13 years, I have collected numerous IWB and other concealment holsters for my carry pistols. I have not really had an itch to buy anything else than what I know already works for me, and for what I have practiced over the years. Over time, I have improved my draw from concealment to a state that is consistent and quick for my needs.

However, I have practiced open carry from time to time, but to be honest I'm so used to conceal carry that I get self conscience about doing it. It's all in my head I guess. Personally, I never had any negative issues while doing it either.

I too would be open to meet up one day.

Yeah having a meetup would be awesome!

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    kirk10100,

Yes, that's why I used to go to Starbucks also, to get some java and use their Wifi...and enjoy the view out the window (as mentioned earlier). But after their "coming out" it stopped. :-(

At the same time though, I was also frequenting Denny's, IHOP and Village Inn for the same reason (Wifi & java) so when I stopped going to Starbucks, I simply changed to going to those other 3 from then on.

Too bad Starbucks had to make an issue out of it -- although I do understand they didn't want to be in the middle of a controversial/political issue -- but if they would have just said (like Kroger supermarkets and others have stated) "We go by the laws of the state our stores are in and if CC and/or OC are legal, it's fine with us" that would have been better. But Starbucks caved-in to liberal anti-gun groups such as "Moms Demand Action" -- aka: "Mad Moms," who tried to get Koger Corp. to ban "gun people" in all their Kroger-owned supermarkets, too, but Kroger refused: Good for them! IIRC, Home Depot did the same when "Moms" went after them, too.

Anyway, when I want to go for free WiFi (and some iced coffee) while I'm out & about -- either here in El Paso or up in Las Cruces -- it's Denny's, IHOP or Village Inn.

True, their coffee offerings aren't in any way up to what Starbucks has, but that's okay as I have my own espresso machine/grinder for my daily "fix" of caffeine every morning (a large caffè latte). And it's way better than anything Starbucks can produce on their automated (even if more expensive) equipment. I just liked going there as it gave me more choices for places to go and in more locations around town (Starbucks is everywhere) -- but again, didn't feel right going somewhere the CEO/Owner of the business really didn't want "gun people" carrying (CC or OC) those scary-looking/evil pieces of steel/polymer.

But even when I was going to Starbucks up in CO (mainly Colorado Springs and Castle Rock), hardly anyone (sometimes it seemed no one) noticed I was OCing. And the only one time did someone not only notice but also said something was @ a Starbucks in Albuquerque: He asked if I was a "Homeland Security." Not sure what made me look "Homeland Security." ;-)

That brings up a point: Since most people in public seen with guns are LEOS (Law Enforcement Offices: Cops, detectives, plainclothes ATF, FBI or whatever), the general public assumes an OCer is a LEO, and so they don't give it any further thought...

MOST times, however, no one in any of the many Starbucks stores I went to ever said anything or looked "alarmed" about it...so really, it was a non-issue even back then. I hear that some OCers still go there regardless -- and nothing happens (same for Target) -- but it's just that THIS OCer doesn't go anymore. I DID go OCing to a Target (Colorado Springs) twice after their announcement and both times no one said anything to me, neither customers or staff/management. I'm not a regular customer anymore though, as I used to be...

That's usually the case no matter where I go OCing: MOST people don't even notice my OC gun. I've even been standing at someone's table talking to them and they STILL don't notice a gun on me. And sitting down, they're right at eye-level with it! I guess it's mostly kids in stores (they're at eye-level, too) who notice more so than any adults do. So although a person OCing may FEEL like everyone is looking/notices, in reality only a few do.

The gun I carry now is MORE noticeable ("Flat Dark Earth" polymer frame in a black polymer holster) than my previous gun (black gun in a brown leather holster) so NOW more people ARE likely to notice. Still, most people out in public aren't that observant.

But that's something you have to accept: After all, you're OCing a firearm so people MAY actually notice it!

;-)

-- BR

Last edited:
    Top Bottom