Join TexasGunTalk

Any OCers (OpenCarriers) in ELP...beside me?

Discussion in 'El Paso' started by BillRedding, Jan 29, 2017.

1. BillRedding

BillRedding Member

Jan 29, 2017
    El Paso, TX (Westside)
    Hello to all...

I'm looking to have some (hopefully on a regular basis at some point) "OC Get-Togethers" here in El Paso...but need to find out if anyone reading this particular ELP sub-forum is an OCer or knows someone who is, as this is mostly about OCing vs. CCing. These informal events would mainly be at area Village Inns, IHOPS or Denny's in different parts of town on a rotating basis.

As per my "policy" when I was doing OC events in CO and NM, although the focus is on OCing (and all that goes with it), CCers are always invited to attend...as are people/newbies-to-guns who may be only thinking about carrying (however they want to carry: CC or OC). Or maybe people looking for LTC class info, tips and such from people who have taken it.

Anyway, just doing some research right now to see if getting something going here in ELP is feasible -- or not. ;-)

You can post responses here, but it may be better to PM me re: any interest you have. Even if only a few people are interested, we SHOULD start some kind of interaction here with and get to know other carriers vs. the "Lone Wolf" situation where each of us does our own thing out there in a vacuum (if you will).

ELP is a big enough city that we should have a number of carriers (the vast majority CCers of course), and so should be able to organize to some degree. Even if not much to start, it'd be a work-in-progress.

Let me know...

Regards,

BR

2. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Can't help but welcome to TGT

3. kirk10100

kirk10100 Active Member

Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    In the year we have had OC, I have only seen two people OC in ELP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. BillRedding

BillRedding Member

Jan 29, 2017
    El Paso, TX (Westside)

...and that's one reason for these events: So the public (and cops) can see MORE "We the People" carrying! ;-)

"D&E"

"Desensitizing & Educating" -- Something only OCers can do (no offense meant towards CCers, it's just a fact).

And I was just doing some of that one-on-one D&E out @ the Lowes/Trans Mountain Rd recently talking to a sales associate who is looking to get her permit ASAP. She complimented me on my gun -- my first encounter with someone seeing me OCing -- and the conversation went on from there. Told her the next time I was back there I'd "check" on her progress, as I try to get as many people as I can motivated (and encouraged) to pursue their goal of getting a LTC permit: Not just continue to THINK about doing so, but go and DO it.

So that was a very positive incident...as ALL the similar encounters I had up in CO (Colorado Springs, Aurora, Arvada, Littleton, Lakewood, Broomfield, Highland Ranch, Parker, etc.) and NM -- ABQ and Rio Rancho mostly.

Anyway, I hope to meet other OCers (if any, as there may be NONE but me so far) soon or, at least other "interested parities" as described above in my first post if we can get an event scheduled.

BRD@66,

Thanks for the Welcome!

Regards,

-- BR

P.S. I've lived in ELP for a LONG time, just moved away for 8 years (2008 to 2016 -- Galveston, TX, and Colorado Springs, CO) and now am back...at least for ~3 years anyway. In 2019? Who knows...

Looking forward to "Constitutional Carry" in TX, IF that ever happens...or at least "no permit required OC" being passed in Austin. Until then, my LTC will have to do. ;-)

Moving here from CO where I could OC feely (without a permit, even though I DID have a CO CC permit) I just HATED to be out & about UN-armed (legally dis-armed) here in TX for 60 days awaiting my permit. Mine took 59 days exactly, 1 day short of the deadline.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  5. kirk10100

kirk10100 Active Member

Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    My preference is to CC but I wouldn't mind meeting up with other folks for some bread breaking.

6. BillRedding

BillRedding Member

Jan 29, 2017
    El Paso, TX (Westside)
    kirk10100,

Yes, Most people will never OC, that's just how it is.

Still, everyone is invited to these OC events as we all share something in common: Self-Defense Carrying! So I want to be "inclusive" -- dare I use a flaming-liberal buzzword here on TexasGunTalk? Will I be banned already? ;-)

Will give it some more time here to see if other are interested, then will get back to you via PM about getting together.

One problem with El Paso: Trying to find a way to REACH "gun people" here in town, since if they don't read this forum (or other Texas forums) then they don't know about any of this. It'd be great to have a "Craigslist" (which just about everyone has heard of) type place for gun-related things...but we don't.

It may be necessary to start a new website (but not a discussion forum): Just a central go-to place for publicizing get-together events & gun news, perhaps something called "OpenCarryElPaso." Worth looking into I guess...but for now, I'm posting here to see if how many/if any local carriers of ANY persuasion (CC, OC and gun newbies) are interested.

Later then,

-- BR

7. kirk10100

kirk10100 Active Member

Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    Cool. Let me know.
    What about facebook? I personally don't have an account but that may be a good way to reach folks. Perhaps El Paso gun trader?

8. BCGlocker

BCGlocker Member

Mar 8, 2015
    El Paso, TX
  9. BillRedding

BillRedding Member

Jan 29, 2017
    El Paso, TX (Westside)
    BCGlocker,

No, did not know about that OCT/El Paso Facebook page as I don't use Facebook. I certainly HAVE heard of OCT, but not any OCT/El Paso.

Will go there to see what they have going on. Thanks...

kirk10100,

Still looking to see about responses HERE in this forum, but so far not looking good. Will give it a bit more time and then be getting back to you for a meet-up, if you still want to.

Later then,

-- BR

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  10. tC_Matt

tC_Matt Active Member

Jan 13, 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I OC occasionally. But I'm 30 minutes north of Austin though.