Guns International

Any of you old fogies still using AOL like me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Just learned today they are killing the free browser and will be charging a monthly fee for their new browser.

I have 20 years of address book, bookmarks, favorites, etc. and the thought of migrating it all is overwhelming. I have been too lazy to change even though I know better is out there.

I even have IE 11 on my computer but don't use it.

Instead of simply bashing me or AOL, please use this thread to help me figure out the best way for me to to finally move away from AOL. I am not hugely tech savvy, which is probably why I haven't moved before now.
    Lynx Defense

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I have to go waaaay back to even remember using AOL. Sorry, had to give a little jab. Most browsers will allow you to import bookmarks and such.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    AOL supports IMAP (email is saved on the server) so you can use any email program that supports IMAP to copy/move email from AOL to another email provider or to the local computer. Not sure about the contacts and bookmarks.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I use google chrome mostly, because it supports a lot of the apps I need better, but I also use Mozilla (Firefox). I have thought of Torch which my geek friend recommended, but never got around to downloading it.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Importing your stuff is going to be a little complicated but if you take the time to read the tutorials you can probably import all of your bookmarks and stuff to Chrome or Mozilla Firefox... Emails.. well... someone already mentioned IMAP

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I'm still using AOL and I also use Yahoo. When are they going to start charging? Seems like they would have notified me by now, but I've heard nothing about it until now. I've got other free options that I could switch to also. Centurylink.com, G-mail, but I'm not gonna start paying for something that is free everywhere else.

Personally, I would hold off on switching unless you just want to. I just found this while Googling. Apparently AOL and Yahoo will be merged and rebranded as "OATH".

https://www.aol.com/article/finance...emselves-by-a-new-name-after-the-ve/22024213/

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Firefox should import your bookmarks when you install it. It will show a list of the browsers you have and ask which one you want to get the bookmarks from. I just did this (from IE) for my mom.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Just learned today they are killing the free browser and will be charging a monthly fee for their new browser.
    Sounds to me like AOL's revenues are down. It's been at least a decade since I heard of charging for browserware.

BTW: A O L :facepalm: :roflfunny:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Are you saying they are going to charge for email service or for use of the browser ?

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    There really isn't any reason you can't export everything to another email address and change to Firefox or Chrome. Sign into Firefox on any computer and all of your bookmarks go with you since it synchronizes with your username. I try to avoid Chrome the best I can but it is still a viable browser.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    When are they going to start charging?
    If you are just using the free email with a different browser I think you will be fine. Not sure of the cut off date.

I was still using the AOL software that combined browser and email, which is what they are going to charge for, calling it AOL Gold.

I set up a Gmail account over the weekend and set IE that was already on my computer as an alternate browser for when they cut me off. Ultimately I will switch it to Chrome since I set up Gmail, but I need to get all of my user accounts changed to that email first, including here.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Been using AOL Email since the early 1990's. I use a different browser and have received no notice of a charge for the AOL Email.

Do you remember the ultra slow dial up service or being booted offline for non use when you went to the John? Boy, things sure have changed!

Flash

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Last time I used AOL it was considered the child safe browser, meaning it wouldn't load sites it didn't think was safe for kids. All I remember is AOL sucked.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Okay, now I see. I'm using Firefox browser, not AOL browser, just AOL email. Shouldn't be a problem. Just download Mozilla Firefox and be done with it.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Is there still an AOL. Like many I started there. It was like it's own internet. Allowed me to venture into the cyber world a bit at a time. First year I don't think I left the AOL site. Then I found the internet did not require a cute frame around everything. You could just buy access and dive in. Go anywhere, anytime. AOL was better than dial up builtin-boards at 300 baud. But the internet was cool. Goodbye AOL, you gave me a great start.

Eckolancer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Plano
    I use aol and my email was created in 1993. There is no charges for using email coming that I'm aware of. Now using the browser I haven't seen word of them charging but they could.

My concern is when AOL and Yahoo merge will they change the domain name? If so let's say I own John@aol.com someone else owns John@yahoo.com who will get john@oath.com and what happens to the other persons email? Now I own same email at both AOL and yahoo but one is personal and one is for spam. I don't really want them merged together. My guess is they will just leave them separate maybe start closing unused email accounts that haven't been logged into after like 2 years or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Staff online

• Vaquero
      Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom