• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    I just bought a Jap 99 and I'm waiting for transfer. I have 2 spare parts kits already for it so I'm set there. Any advice from a Jap 99 owner? What caliber are you shooting it in? Have you ever shot it in the original Jap 7.7 round? How about a source from the rubber eye cup on the optics?

nfafirearms.13181.1.jpg
    Texas SOT

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    That is a NICE piece! I have shot a couple of them - one was rechambered for 7.62X39 and used AK mags, not historical - but easier to find ammo for......

The local museum has two of these, one is used regularly for "live fire" (blank adapted) for the public re-enactments about six times a year. I love it when they put the bayonet on it - the Japanese did some funky things with small arms design in those days.

Let me know if you start reloading for it - and if you don't, I will buy your brass. I have two Type-99 Ariskas that shoot the 7.7mm round and need brass to load.

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    The gun come with a 308 and 7.62X39 conversions. Since I have 10K of 7.62X39 squirreled away I will be shooting it in that caliber. I would like to try the 7.7 out though. What commercial ammo have you tried in 7.7?

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    I havn't tried any........

One of my Arisakas is a late-war "last ditch" rifle that my grandfather gave me, I am afraid for my life to shoot that one. It is a sentimental peice only.....

The other one is museum quality, crome-bore, ALL markings intact, anti-aircaft sights, etc......I will shoot this one, just need brass to load.

So far I have not purchased any kind of ammo for this caliber - which is why I would be more than happy to buy all or some of the brass you want to sell. I really know very little about the cartridge......

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    You can make Jap 7.7 from 30-06 casings, just need to get the proper Jap dies and trim the 30-06 case to length first.

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    Most likely will have to turn the neck down after sizing as well sicne the brass will flow and get thicker being compressed like that.

Top Bottom