• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robmoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Arlington
    I lived in Arizona for 6 years as a teenager and we would go out into the desert and plink every other Saturday. Going to the range just isn't as fun. Is there anywhere within an hour or two drive of the DFW area where one can hike and plink? I should specify without paying for a lease or maybe it is time to consider a lease. A lease with some wild pigs running around has possibilities. :-)
    Gun Zone Deals

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    I’m not aware of such a place. Unlike many of the western states with thousands of acres of public lands, the overwhelming vast majority of Texas is privately owned. Your options are to buy your own land (an expensive option) or pay to join a private range (much cheaper but still around $125 to $800 or so per year, with the cheaper memberships often having a wait list of one to three or more years).

Leases within an hour or two of Dallas are usually very expensive and sometimes hard to find. Many also have restrictions on target shooting and also require a considerable amount of work and additional money of your own to maintain (feeders, fencing, etc.). Target shooting on leased land scares away game, hence the restrictions on many such leases. Leases further away from big cities like Dallas are usually less expensive.

I understand that the LBJ Grasslands (about an hour or two from Dallas) had a designated area for shotgun-only shooting. Don’t know if it’s like that still, but you may want to do a search on that if interested.

Robmoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Arlington
    That's why when farmers and ranchers complain to the legislature and want them to do something about feral hogs I have no sympathy. Why should the state use tax dollars to solve a situation that the farmers and ranchers could solve simply by taking down their "Posted" signs? Private property? Private problem! Pay for your own solution or figure one out instead of begging for money from tax payers.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Not aware of any for years. Growing up around Lake Texoma we use to plink at an old rock quarry and then an unrestricted "gun club" but those have been closed. Would also head into the mountains of Southeastern Oklahoma to watch fall leaves and just find a spot down some of the old logging roads where we would deer hunt too.

Robmoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Arlington
    About as far as I can throw them.

Been thinking about this for a couple of days now trying to figure out if this is a reflection of the character of gun owners or just your own. Most of my friends and family being gun owners and CHL holders I'm leaning towards this not being a reflection of their character.

Robmoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Arlington
    Not aware of any for years. Growing up around Lake Texoma we use to plink at an old rock quarry and then an unrestricted "gun club" but those have been closed. Would also head into the mountains of Southeastern Oklahoma to watch fall leaves and just find a spot down some of the old logging roads where we would deer hunt too.

I don't care to live in the desert, but it did have its advantages.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Growing up in southern Commiefornia in the early 70's, we could go into Angelos National park and plink all day long. This would cause a SWAT response today. They were better times.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Been thinking about this for a couple of days now trying to figure out if this is a reflection of the character of gun owners or just your own. Most of my friends and family being gun owners and CHL holders I'm leaning towards this not being a reflection of their character.

You said friends and family. That's totally different from total strangers which is what I commented on. Did you miss the part about "unknown guys"?

Top Bottom