Any Psychologists In The House?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by LittleGun, Jun 29, 2008.

1. LittleGun

LittleGun Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    I am new to shooting. I started about a week ago with pistols. When I finished my first session at the range, I had an unusual sense of euphoria, a heightened awareness, and a sense of satisfaction. I guess all shooters have those kind of feelings. Has anyone offered explanations from a professional or clinical point of view?

2. PhilR

PhilR New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Trophy Club, Texas
    Dr. Phil here...(just kidding of course).

There is no cure. Deal with it and keep on shooting. It only gets better...or worse, depending on how you look at it. :cool:

3. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    Take two guns to the range and call me in the morning.:rofl::rofl:

4. LittleGun

LittleGun Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    I like your recommendations. Gun owners make the best doctors.

5. ReVrEnD_0341

ReVrEnD_0341 Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like a good dose of the after effects of adrenaline, and endorphines kicking in.

6. 308nato

308nato TGT Addict

Yes sir as the addiction grows so does the gun inventory and ammo
    you just cant have only one.:D
    Than there is the reloading ohoh reload some , shoot some ,reload more
    shoot much more, its just a fun endless cycle.

7. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    I've been shooting nearly 60 years I still find it enjoyable,exhausting
    and relaxing. How could one explain that to a hard core anti-gunner.

8. Army 1911

Army 1911 Well-Known

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so

Take him/her/it shooting at the range. If they won't go then tell them that if they have no shooting experience, they should not expouse stupid opinions.

I have converted many people to the shooting sports who were anti-gun. Some I have not.

9. Roadkill Bill

Roadkill Bill New Member

Ha, ha! You're doomed, just like the rest of us! :rofl:

10. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    A gun a day keeps the criminals away. ;) lol

For me, that sense of euphoria comes from pretty much being involved in working with or manipulating mechanical objects. I just like playing around with stuff like that. I get a similar feeling working on cars, driving them (manual gearbox for me only please!), electronics, etc. It is particularly satisfying with firearms though when you get something right. It's also very empowering shooting firearms as, for me at least, it makes me feel self sufficient and responsible.

I'm sure there are plenty of liberals or anti gun people that would generalize and say that enjoying something like shooting guns could only come from evil or disturbed feelings. I think for most of us it is not nearly that sinister and has more to do with enjoying the accomplishment, attempting something tough and succeeding, etc etc. If you think about it, the basic principles are not all that different from other less hated subjects such as motorsports. With something like motorsports you are still manipulating a mechanical object to achieve a goal, get from point A to B, etc etc. With firearms you are manipulating a trigger to make the bullet in the chamber (point A) go to the target (point B) as quickly and efficiently as possible. ;)