• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    I am new to shooting. I started about a week ago with pistols. When I finished my first session at the range, I had an unusual sense of euphoria, a heightened awareness, and a sense of satisfaction. I guess all shooters have those kind of feelings. Has anyone offered explanations from a professional or clinical point of view?
    DK Firearms

PhilR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Trophy Club, Texas
    Dr. Phil here...(just kidding of course).

There is no cure. Deal with it and keep on shooting. It only gets better...or worse, depending on how you look at it. :cool:

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    Yes sir as the addiction grows so does the gun inventory and ammo
    you just cant have only one.:D
    Than there is the reloading ohoh reload some , shoot some ,reload more
    shoot much more, its just a fun endless cycle.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I've been shooting nearly 60 years I still find it enjoyable,exhausting
    and relaxing. How could one explain that to a hard core anti-gunner.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    How could one explain that to a hard core anti-gunner.

Take him/her/it shooting at the range. If they won't go then tell them that if they have no shooting experience, they should not expouse stupid opinions.

I have converted many people to the shooting sports who were anti-gun. Some I have not.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    A gun a day keeps the criminals away. ;) lol

For me, that sense of euphoria comes from pretty much being involved in working with or manipulating mechanical objects. I just like playing around with stuff like that. I get a similar feeling working on cars, driving them (manual gearbox for me only please!), electronics, etc. It is particularly satisfying with firearms though when you get something right. It's also very empowering shooting firearms as, for me at least, it makes me feel self sufficient and responsible.

I'm sure there are plenty of liberals or anti gun people that would generalize and say that enjoying something like shooting guns could only come from evil or disturbed feelings. I think for most of us it is not nearly that sinister and has more to do with enjoying the accomplishment, attempting something tough and succeeding, etc etc. If you think about it, the basic principles are not all that different from other less hated subjects such as motorsports. With something like motorsports you are still manipulating a mechanical object to achieve a goal, get from point A to B, etc etc. With firearms you are manipulating a trigger to make the bullet in the chamber (point A) go to the target (point B) as quickly and efficiently as possible. ;)

LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    It is a great sense of accomplishment to make all the pieces come together and get the proper result. I took another step in that regard by attending a beginner's tactical class. I can see that I have lots of work to do, but it is fun. I've applied for my CHL and I hope everything goes well with it. When it arrives, I want to be confident enough that I can start carrying immediately, and not be nervous about it.

TexasGuns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    La Porte,Texas USA
    It is a great sense of accomplishment to make all the pieces come together and get the proper result. I took another step in that regard by attending a beginner's tactical class. I can see that I have lots of work to do, but it is fun. I've applied for my CHL and I hope everything goes well with it. When it arrives, I want to be confident enough that I can start carrying immediately, and not be nervous about it.

You are doing the right thing! Practice shooting your carry weapon often.

Top Bottom