Lynx Defense

Any recent experiences with Teddy Jacobson: 'Actions by T'??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Got a CZ-75 that needs some trigger work and was wondering if anyone has had any recent experiences with Actions By T - Teddy Jacobson Pistolsmith.

Wondering if anyone would relate their experiences, lead time, quality of work, etc.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated for the Houston/Galveston area.

(Checked with John Dixon and he can't help. Got a name and email for a CZ employee that does custom work, just don't want to ship it off right now if I can find good work in the Houston area.)
    DK Firearms

digitaltrip

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Mesquite
    I read the cz forums and everyone raves about David from Cajun Gun Works and Stuart from CZ custom shop.

David's shop is in Monroe and Stuart is in Arizona, can't remember which city but I've seen members always raving about both of their work.

Good Luck!

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Thanks, got a email out to Cajun Gun Works. Do you know the name of the shop in Arizona? My contact at CZ gave me the name of a guy there in Kansas City.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Checking with a gunsmith friend at Briley to see if he'll do the job for you. This guy is a true gunsmith and his work is art but with a true understanding how things work. He also understands what it takes to get a good trigger and won't tell me he can do something he can't.

Last edited:

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    I can tell you that Teddy is very much a "doesn't grow" on you personality. I've dealt with him years ago and I found him to be hard to work with.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Checking with a gunsmith friend at Briley to see if he'll do the job for you. This guy is a true gunsmith and his work is art but with a true understanding how things work. He also understands what it takes to get a good trigger and won't tell me he can do something he can't.

Thanks, I've got a love/hate relationship with Briley, so if he would consider doing it on the side that would be great. I cleaned and lubed the gun again today to no avail. I think the thousands of times it was dry fired before we got it has taken a toll. Accuracy is good, as we put the first non-factory test rounds through it and there were surprisingly good considering it's prior life.

I can tell you that Teddy is very much a "doesn't grow" on you personality. I've dealt with him years ago and I found him to be hard to work with.

Yeah, personalities can be strong in that field. Met a few that I can't wait to use again and others that I force myself to use them due to their outstanding work.

Aaron, does he do good work for a reasonable price with a decent turn around?

Appreciate the help folks.

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    I don't think so, but that's my opinion. He's always seemed to be more worried about giving everything his pretty jeweled finish. I don't care if my sear is jeweled. I want the tip to be cut correctly.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Thanks, I've got a love/hate relationship with Briley, so if he would consider doing it on the side that would be great. I cleaned and lubed the gun again today to no avail. I think the thousands of times it was dry fired before we got it has taken a toll. Accuracy is good, as we put the first non-factory test rounds through it and there were surprisingly good considering it's prior life.

Yeah, personalities can be strong in that field. Met a few that I can't wait to use again and others that I force myself to use them due to their outstanding work.

Aaron, does he do good work for a reasonable price with a decent turn around?

Appreciate the help folks.
    He doesn't do side jobs for very many folks. In-fact asking him to work outside work is usually only done by barter with close friends.

At Briley you can ask for him by name though. Nate. 6 to 10 weeks for the lead time there. If you go let him know I sent you his way and that may work to your favor.

Your assessment of a love hate relationship for the company is more than fair. In my personal opinion I've formed on my own there are a some great worker bees there but it's crazy and unpredictable hive.

JimH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Sugar Land, TX
    I spent an hour at his work shop after he advised me which 1911 was worth owning. I told him to do what was necessary to make it right. Springfield Armory 1911 Mil. Spec. He explained to me what he was going to do. He said he thought the weapon needed no work for a smooth pull from the holster. He works on law enforcement weapons as a priority. He was very pleasant, he has the personality of a physician or engineer. Not gruff or unpleasant, just professional. He answered all my questions and even told me that most gun oil is 10w-40 motor oil with some STP added. He said he would expedite my sister's 9. I will drop it off and tell him to take his time on my 1911. I have a CAR-15, 20" bull barrel to break in and 500 rounds to do it with. I will be occupied, the I have to get the Vepr-12 12 gauge to Tac-47 so they diagnose and fix it. Every time I fire the damn thing the mag ejects, even with just 2 rounds in the 5 round factory mag. I have met the man, he is a craftsman, the kind of person that you know will do it right. I have had the chance to meet a few craftsman, Teddy is one.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I spent an hour at his work shop after he advised me which 1911 was worth owning. I told him to do what was necessary to make it right. Springfield Armory 1911 Mil. Spec. He explained to me what he was going to do. He said he thought the weapon needed no work for a smooth pull from the holster. He works on law enforcement weapons as a priority. He was very pleasant, he has the personality of a physician or engineer. Not gruff or unpleasant, just professional. He answered all my questions and even told me that most gun oil is 10w-40 motor oil with some STP added. He said he would expedite my sister's 9. I will drop it off and tell him to take his time on my 1911. I have a CAR-15, 20" bull barrel to break in and 500 rounds to do it with. I will be occupied, the I have to get the Vepr-12 12 gauge to Tac-47 so they diagnose and fix it. Every time I fire the damn thing the mag ejects, even with just 2 rounds in the 5 round factory mag. I have met the man, he is a craftsman, the kind of person that you know will do it right. I have had the chance to meet a few craftsman, Teddy is one.

So in his opinion what 1911 is worth owning?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    ...even told me that most gun oil is 10w-40 motor oil with some STP added...
    yeah, dunno about that one :rolleyes:
    There's definitely similarities in oils, but there's lots of variations between manufacturers. I actually really like using automotive bearing grease in my guns, but I wouldn't say it's like anything specifically formulated for firearms.

BWHITT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Houston
    Teddy's work is very good

Teddy does great work. I have had him work on several of my guns from 2500 dollar 1911’s to my Glock. He is not difficult to work with either, I actually enjoyed his company. He is a no B.S. kind of person thatwill give you his honest opinion. I appreciate that in a person.

Work is very professional and reasonably priced. He only does trigger work now, but he used to build full customs so he knows his stuff.
    His triggers are for combat primarily, he does not like to do light triggers, 3.5 lbs is about as low as he will go on my 1911’s. but they are all first class triggers and stay that way.

JimH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Sugar Land, TX
    yeah, dunno about that one :rolleyes:
    There's definitely similarities in oils, but there's lots of variations between manufacturers. I actually really like using automotive bearing grease in my guns, but I wouldn't say it's like anything specifically formulated for firearms.

Well he said it was Royal Pruple, 10-W40, if that makes a diff. He puts steel BB's in the bottle to agitate and mix the oil and STP. I have so many bottles of CLP that it will be a while before I try it.

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    Try Justin McMillan at New Braunfels Gunworks. He's a former AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit) gunsmith who was also the head gunsmith at STI before moving to New Braunfels. One of the few people that can work on a revolver (he tuned mine before I used it at the Nationals). And he's worked on Hammerlis, Pardinis, Toz (Russian) and other match guns. No one touches my match guns now (including 1911s) except Justin.
    Bob
    PS- And he's a nice guy, too.
    www.newbraunfelsgunworks.com

Last edited:
    Top Bottom