Lynx Defense

Any recipes for carnitas or pulled pork on the grill?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dermunkee

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    So follow up for the pulled pork, turned out great.
    Here's what I did:
    1) Brine for 12 hours, 10oz kosher salt, 3/4 cup molasses, 2 qt water
    2) Coating 8 tbsp Jack Daniels whole grain mustard (this is great for cooking because it's thick enough to add whatever you want to it), 4 tbsp bourbon, 2 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, coat the whole thing.
    3) Smoke over pecan until internal temp is 190 degrees
    4) Every time I added coals or wood, I brushed more bourbon onto the outside of the meat

Pic of the assembled redneck contraption:
    IMG_20160410_170957398 (800x450).jpg

Inside, close to done
    IMG_20160410_194102269 (800x450).jpg

Pulled apart and ready to eat
    IMG_20160410_230241358 (800x450).jpg

What I did wrong:
    I don't usually use pecan, it burns pretty hot, grill got up to 380 a few times, so the mustard mixture burned in one spot.
    I didn't start early enough, a big brisket is usually done in 8 hours, this took almost 12.
    I let the puppies smell it, they're big enough to grab stuff off the counters now, so I had to fight against them while pulling the meat apart.
    Edit: wasn't too noticeable last night, but today it's pretty salty, should cut the salt in the brine down by 1/4th.

Shredding claws made quick work of ripping apart the 7 lb shoulder, I highly recommend them for < $15.
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

dermunkee

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    And I made carnitas on the grill this afternoon using y'all's suggestions as a starting point.

Here it is after 2 hours cooking in the liquid, pretty much just rendered fat left at this point
    carnitas 001.jpg

Removed the grill, stoked the coals and added some oak and put the grill straight on the coals to crispify.
    carnitas 002.jpg

Sorting the meat from the fat, final product:
    carnitas 003.jpg

It is delicious, just need to heat up some corn tortillas on the smokey grill and it'll be ready to go.

Texan42

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2016
    Pulled pork...
    i put a homemade rub on all surfaces of a wild hog leg and place in refrigerator for 4-6 hours.?.
    take out and let sit for approx 1 hour......then place it on the smoker for about 5-6 hours
    remove from smoker and pull every ounce of meat off the leg and place in big pot on stove
    add 2 Dos Exuis beer, vinegar from 2 large bottles of sliced jalapeños, and about 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
    stir to mix and bring to a boil, then immediately down to simmer for at least 90 minutes
    drain excess liquid and serve as is or mix in BBQ sauce...your preference.
    ive made this for people that Do Not like wild game and they wouldn't believe me when I told them it was hog that I killed.

ChrisMo68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Hurst, TX
    Just my 2 cents. Brining, Don't do it unless you are trying to make a ham. Dry rub, never use any wet coatings or mops. Apply the rub at least 8 hours prior to smoking. The sugars in your rub combined with the other spices and the melting fat make the bark all it can be. Finally, low and slow, 225 for 8-12 hours for pork shoulder and 12-14 hours for a brisket.

Sauce can be added after the pork is pulled or the brisket sliced, if needed.

Hickory is my go to, unless smoking fish, then I typically use Alder.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Had carnitas at two places just recently.
    Molina's, on Bellaire in Houston ... sucked.
    La Finca, in Katy/Cinco Ranch ... excellent!

dermunkee

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    We used to go to La Finca all the time, then they started cheaping out on the ingredients for the food, and most importantly, the margaritas. They tasted like green kool-aid with some liquor in there.
    Best margaritas in Katy I've found are the Esta Noche ones at the Katy Lupe Tortillas (not available at any of the other ones) and the Clooney at Alamo Drafthouse. Or my house, I make some mean margaritas.

dermunkee

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    Also, brining does wonders for poultry. Typically I'd agree with you on the dry rub, but hey, bourbon. Did I mention bourbon? On pork? With some strong whole grain mustard? And bourbon?

ChrisMo68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Hurst, TX
    Brining poultry or fish is a whole different thing. I personally don't care for brining pork. But to each his own.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Not a fan of Lafinca, I like Victor's Casa Garcia on north Fry in Katy. I tried to smoke some pork last weekend Turn out OK . I think my
    Smoker was too hot. I have to watch my sodium intake so no brining for me. I have to make my own rubs too

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    We used to go to La Finca all the time, then they started cheaping out on the ingredients for the food,

Seems to be a 21st century restaurant problem, particularly with Mexican and Chinese.
    And franchises kill good food.

and most importantly, the margaritas.

Yep, don't mess with Texas, Texans, or their margaritas ...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom