• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2Shots1Wound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    I have to sound off on this one

Huge fan of the STR setup (this trigger rules). Love the ergonomics of Sigs (especially the 229).

Hate the TruGlow POS front sites (failed twice so far!! Very pissed off about this)
    Slide fails to lock on last round
    They include only one mag for most models (you pay, they play)
    Even expensive models like the 239 include only 1 sub-par 8 round mag (low capacity, I'm less than impressed)

I love em and hate at the same time. Will not buy another considering the cost and the obvious arrogance of the company (buy at least one, but balance your gun safe out with Gock or Springfield in various calibers for max value!!)

My 2 cents
    Texas SOT

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I have to sound off on this one

Huge fan of the STR setup (this trigger rules). Love the ergonomics of Sigs (especially the 229).

Hate the TruGlow POS front sites (failed twice so far!! Very pissed off about this)
    Slide fails to lock on last round
    They include only one mag for most models (you pay, they play)
    Even expensive models like the 239 include only 1 sub-par 8 round mag (low capacity, I'm less than impressed)

I love em and hate at the same time. Will not buy another considering the cost and the obvious arrogance of the company (buy at least one, but balance your gun safe out with Gock or Springfield in various calibers for max value!!)

My 2 cents

Which model did you get that came with TruGlow Sights? I thought Sig's OEM night sight was Meprolight. At least that's what came with the three Sig's I've owned, and I've never had an issue with Meprolights.

I mentioned earlier in the thread, that Sig's QC has slipped in the past couple of years. They still have a well engineered product, but seems their cost cutting efforts have started to show in the product. That doesn't mean you can't buy a new Sig and have a great gun, but rather you are now more likely to have some sort of small issue that will need to be corrected. If the no lock back on the slide is a consistent issue, that is not caused by the shooter, then Sig should fix that under warranty. They always have. But isn't that sad that when you pay a premium, you need to worry about qc issues.

There was an interview with one of the top guys at Sig. Can't remember who did the interview, but the comment was made that they are now known as a pistol company that makes rifles, and their goal was to become a rifle company that also makes pistols. That says a lot.

2Shots1Wound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Which model did you get that came with TruGlow Sights? I thought Sig's OEM night sight was Meprolight. At least that's what came with the three Sig's I've owned, and I've never had an issue with Meprolights.

I mentioned earlier in the thread, that Sig's QC has slipped in the past couple of years. They still have a well engineered product, but seems their cost cutting efforts have started to show in the product. That doesn't mean you can't buy a new Sig and have a great gun, but rather you are now more likely to have some sort of small issue that will need to be corrected. If the no lock back on the slide is a consistent issue, that is not caused by the shooter, then Sig should fix that under warranty. They always have. But isn't that sad that when you pay a premium, you need to worry about qc issues.

There was an interview with one of the top guys at Sig. Can't remember who did the interview, but the comment was made that they are now known as a pistol company that makes rifles, and their goal was to become a rifle company that also makes pistols. That says a lot.

I have the 229 SCT in 9mm. It comes with 4 17rd Mecgar mags. I've been told that the high cap mags from this company are known for being on the weak side. Another thread somewhere mentioned that SIG recommended keeping the slide locked overnight to loosen up the guiderod spring?? I dunno but it sounds like voodoo as this gun has many rounds through it.
    The mepros come with Kimber, wish SIG would go back to those guys instead of TG.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Another thread somewhere mentioned that SIG recommended keeping the slide locked overnight to loosen up the guiderod spring?? I dunno but it sounds like voodoo as this gun has many rounds through it .

Yep, that's voodoo alright. The slide lock-back is a function of the mag spring pushing up on the slide lock. The spring that actuates the slide lock is supposed to last many thousands of rounds, and surely isn't going to fatigue, or get much weaker after being compressed over night. You might try a wolf spring in the mag, or a standard capacity mag and see if it makes a difference. Also, weak ammo will exasperate that condition, if it doesn't have enough power to get the slide 100% back. I found "Independence" brand the worst.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I think I'd like the P220 X6 the best out of all of them. Their single stacks work much better in my hands, and the stock trigger for some stupid reason is way too far forward, but with the SRT and slim trigger they feel MUCH better.

We got in some P225s at work and I'm pretty happy with how they feel. The P226 and P229 would take some getting used to, mostly it's the trigger being so far forward that I almost always pull the shot to the right, and the non-SRT reset just sucks big hairy ones.

Pull weight and recoil are lighter than most. They seem to run just fine so long as you keep them oiled and fresh springs in them. Dry, dirty, and high round counts they don't tolerate too much, but that's easily solved.

However for the price I'd rather buy a 1911, although the X-series guns are damn sexy in stainless with wood grips. I'd have to sneak one into the collection if I had money to burn.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I mentioned earlier in the thread, that Sig's QC has slipped in the past couple of years. They still have a well engineered product, but seems their cost cutting efforts have started to show in the product.

The same asshole that lowered Kimber's product quality is doing the same thing to Sig; also hence all the Mastershop guns that look goofy.

The entire single mag thing was lame, but alot of people were waiting long periods to get their guns so I somewhat understand. It would be nice if Sig would have sent out vouchers for another magazine.

As far as the single mag thing, all the Sig's I've sold have had 2 - 4 magazines in the box with the exception of the run that nerfed one.

treyw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Central TX
    Only had one Sig before. A P220 that shot some real tight groups. I only had two gripes about it. 1. The DA trigger pull was way too heavy and 2. It had the magazine disconnect safety. I bought it as a duty gun and the mag disconnect threw that idea out the window pretty quick. I traded it and ended up getting an HK USP .45 that shoots just as good or better, and I've never looked back after getting that first HK, now have three of 'em.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I didn't know the P220 was available with a mag disconnect...

This is the way they should all be. Screw the DA pull: Products & Services

Note the ambidextrous 1911-like safety on the side, the other side has one. The hammer should be cocked to fire, since it's a single-action only pistol. I've got one and I have to tell you that it's the sweetest pistol I've ever shot. I actually have no drive to go buy another combat pistol because it's that good.

Yeah, I know... "why not just get a 1911?" Great question, glad you asked. The P220 SAO is better in a couple of crucial ways. First, the grip isn't so damn thin. Some of you might have little hands that work with the 1911, but the standard grips on those are too narrow for me. The P220 fits and fills my hands. The safety is so much better. You can rack the slide (meaning you can load/unload/inspect the pistol) with the safety on. You can engage the safety with the hammer down, but it won't engage with the slide locked to the rear. Improvement! And lastly, it's far easier to tear down for those once a year cleanings than the 1911. No barrel bushing, no barrel link...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The only Sig's I ever heard about that had mag safeties is the old P210 and a few relatively small runs of P22X's made to that spec for some LEA. Sounds like you had one of those with the special mod. None of the normal production Sigs have that.

As far as the DA trigger, a $10 reduced power main spring will take that down quite a bit. My P226, with the factory standard spring (22# or 24# can't remember without looking it up) gave me about a 10 lb DA trigger. I put a 19# in and that brought it down to about 8.5 - 9 pounds. I currently have a 17# spring in there at DA is a smooth 8 pounds, and through a 1000 or so rounds, I've never had a failure to ignite. The lighter springs also lighten up SA pull, but not by very much.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    didnt the Navy Seals use Sigs?What model? How different is it from one we could purchase?Lots of questions...sorry

That would be the P226 Navy.
    Products & Services

But the SEALs can equip with pretty much whatever the hell they want.

Everybody in SOCOM was supposedly saddled with the H&K Mk23 pistol years ago... but nobody (or almost nobody) ever holstered the damn thing. They went out and bought Sigs, 1911s and Glocks for themselves and the Mk23s sat in the armories for the most part.

wgsigs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    DFW
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "mag safety" and a "mag disconnect"? Are those other names for a heel mag release? If it is then those were on all of the original European SIG pistols and the early US imports. As a matter of fact if I recall correctly SIG originally called the models with side button mag releases an "American".

BTW I went from owning no SIGs 6 months ago to owning 3 (.40 P229, 9mm P6, and .45 P245) and looking at more, possibly a 228 and a 220. So I guess I am a SIG fan (or nut).

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "mag safety" and a "mag disconnect"? Are those other names for a mag heel release? If it is then those were on all of the original European SIG pistols and the early US imports. As a matter of fact if I recall correctly SIG originally called the models with side button mag releases an "American".

BTW I went from owning no SIGs 6 months ago to owning 3 (.40 P229, 9mm P6, and .45 P245) and looking at more, possibly a 228 and a 220. So I guess I am a SIG fan (or nut).

Mag disconnect is an internal "safety" that renders the gun inoperable when the mag is not inserted. So, if there is still a round in the chamber, and you drop the mag, pulling the trigger will not fire. It's standard fare on High Powers, but easily disabled on those guns. The ones as mentioned on Sigs is an anomaly.

treyw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Central TX
    Hmm if it was an anomally then that would explain the price. I picked it up NIB almost exactly a year ago from CDNN. It was SS, Night Sights, with Houge grips, NIB with a holster cost $699.00 out the door.

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    look for the red box deals,factory refurbs just like new guns but MUCH cheaper. my gun shop did me an awesome deal when i traded in my 380 for a red box 226,its like new and has been flawless.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2008
    Saginaw
    The CPO red box Sigs are the definate way to go, thats what 2 of mine are, of recent Ive been seeing some of the red boxes for almost the same price as the new I hope this isnt a growing trend.

Top Bottom