Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Man, she had that tracking dialed in perfectly for those pin point stars, those came out great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Got the Camera Fireinthewire sent and had a chance to give it a trial run tonight.

b5a37c2c03ef48ea608e0e592a8b02d1.jpg

That’s around 1500 frames stacked together. And took way less time to get than the 200 I took with the DSLR. Even with having to bump the Dob along.

Saturn will take some extra effort since it’s hauling ass around the sun. I only get a couple second between bumps and a slight nudge in the wrong direction results in several minutes of hunting. But I will give it another shot at some point.

Attachments

• b5a37c2c03ef48ea608e0e592a8b02d1.jpg
      b5a37c2c03ef48ea608e0e592a8b02d1.jpg
      3.7 KB · Views: 317

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Bumped up the brightness a little because it seems darker on everything but my wife’s computer.

40bbfb4257231c44696c74e838881c42.jpg

Attachments

• 40bbfb4257231c44696c74e838881c42.jpg
      40bbfb4257231c44696c74e838881c42.jpg
      4 KB · Views: 455

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bumped up the brightness a little because it seems darker on everything but my wife’s computer.

View attachment 180407

Damn man... you caught the red spot again and a moon on the left... That looks pretty dang good!

I wonder what your focal length is...? If you could "speed up" your scope, it would be much brighter.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Damn man... you caught the red spot again and a moon on the left... That looks pretty dang good!

I wonder what your focal length is...? If you could "speed up" your scope, it would be much brighter.

The scope isn’t the issue. It’s fairly fast at F/5. More that my wife has her laptop screen set extremely bright. I was only giving 1/333 second exposure on the frames and the gain settings were fairly low as well.

On her computer it looks great, lol. I’ll make some adjustments before the next attempt.

I am considering a focal reducer so I can frame the moon though. Currently I can only get a small section, less than 20% in frame.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The scope isn’t the issue. It’s fairly fast at F/5. More that my wife has her laptop screen set extremely bright. I was only giving 1/333 second exposure on the frames and the gain settings were fairly low as well.

On her computer it looks great, lol. I’ll make some adjustments before the next attempt.

I am considering a focal reducer so I can frame the moon though. Currently I can only get a small section, less than 20% in frame.

Got ya... your all over it.

Pictures look great man! Can't wait to see more.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    As you discovered, a rock solid mount is crucial regardless of the scope. And all mounts will vibrate, even the expensive ones, when you touch them.

The larger the aperture (lens or mirror size), the better the image and the more fainter objects you can see.

Power is meaningless for astronomy, as it only dims the view and narrows field of view (FOV), and amplifies atmospheric turbulence. However, you can successfully use higher powers on the Moon and planets on clear, stable nights.

To determine power, divide the focal length of the telescope by the focal length of the eyepiece. For exampl, a 700 mm refractor with a 25 mm eyepiece would be 700/25 = 28 power.

Avoid telescope ads that tout high powers. These are not usable for astronomy.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    As you discovered, a rock solid mount is crucial regardless of the scope. And all mounts will vibrate, even the expensive ones, when you touch them.

The larger the aperture (lens or mirror size), the better the image and the more fainter objects you can see.

Power is meaningless for astronomy, as it only dims the view and narrows field of view (FOV), and amplifies atmospheric turbulence. However, you can successfully use higher powers on the Moon and planets on clear, stable nights.

To determine power, divide the focal length of the telescope by the focal length of the eyepiece. For exampl, a 700 mm refractor with a 25 mm eyepiece would be 700/25 = 28 power.

Avoid telescope ads that tout high powers. These are not usable for astronomy.

I did a little research on how magnification is calculated for CCDs and digital cameras with used without eyepiece projection.

My best estimate based on that is the CCD I’m using is going to be about like having a 8mm Plossle eyepiece in terms of FoV. It does create a challenge for a Dob mounted reflector but I’m developing somewhat of a technique. Far from ideal, but also far less expensive. The CCD camera makes it possible to get the necessary frames fast enough to be useful.

Yeah, max magnification isn’t all that relevant since it’s not often that seeing will be good enough to make use of it.

I should be at the members party at the end of the month and look forward to hanging out with some more experienced and knowledgeable folks. Going to avoid spending any more on eyepieces or filters until I can see what would and wouldn’t be useful to me. Reading on the the Internet is helpful but it’s nowhere close to talking with knowledgeable people in person.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Kind of hazy last night but took the DSLR out and got some decent shots of the moon.

Canon T3 in a 2X barlow. Took 8 shots of the moon capturing a different piece with each shot then put them together using Photoshop Elements.

286-CC0-B2-5-C23-4-FC9-97-C8-5-BE6544805-AA.jpg

Attachments

• 286-CC0-B2-5-C23-4-FC9-97-C8-5-BE6544805-AA.jpg
      286-CC0-B2-5-C23-4-FC9-97-C8-5-BE6544805-AA.jpg
      51.7 KB · Views: 455

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kind of hazy last night but took the DSLR out and got some decent shots of the moon.

Canon T3 in a 2X barlow. Took 8 shots of the moon capturing a different piece with each shot then put them together using Photoshop Elements.

View attachment 181019

Lol... dude, we had ours out too last night. About 11pm last night. Almost took a picture of it, but I got it out for the kids to see the moon. It was a pretty night. Kids rode dirt bikes, I hit golf balls and we finished with the teley.

Picture looks good man.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol... dude, we had ours out too last night. About 11pm last night. Almost took a picture of it, but I got it out for the kids to see the moon. It was a pretty night. Kids rode dirt bikes, I hit golf balls and we finished with the teley.

Picture looks good man.

That was from Thursday night I think.

Tried last night but conditions were terrible here. Really hazy, seeing was below average, and the moon was so bright with the haze that it drowned out most of the DSOs.

Going to a darker site at the end of the month and hoping to get a look at some of the galaxies and nebula that are tough to catch around here.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom