Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    How many of us abstain from alcohol completely?

I stopped drinking three years ago. I spent 6 days in the hospital with an attack of diverticulitis. There is some belief that alcohol can aggravate the condition. That is enough for me. In addition, I don't want the non-nutritive calories.

How about you?
    Capitol Armory ad

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I quit drinking a year and a half ago. I was doing way too much of it and spent a few days in the hospital myself. I haven't touched a drop since.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Grew up with an angry alcoholic step father.
    Never have been much of a drinker.

I'll drink part of a Revolver Blood and Honey while watching the game or glass of Llano red with a steak.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Interesting question. Not sure of the motivation but I'll play along. I used to be a very heavy drinker and rarely missed a party. Three years ago my wife started me on a diet to gain control of my weight and simply be a healthier person. I quit drinking one day and never went back and the pounds fell off and lots of money stayed in my wallet. I will however, have a glass of wine on special occasions and when Steve was here we shared a six pack of Modello (sp?) which was pretty good. Other than that I never drink. I have now lost 43 pounds and 6" from around my waist.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Interesting question. Not sure of the motivation but I'll play along.

The motivation is simple; this is the fitness section. People often make drastic changes their lifestyle to get fit. It also seems that EVERYONE drinks, often. lol I thought it interesting to see how many abstain, and perhaps motivational to someone who is considering making a change.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Grew up with an angry alcoholic step father.
    Never have been much of a drinker.

I'll drink part of a Revolver Blood and Honey while watching the game or glass of Llano red with a steak.

My adopted parents were border line alcoholics when I was very young and in my teens my step father would become violent when he drank too much and slap or punch my around. That stopped after I turned 17.

I just told and revived the story this last weekend. I was 12 years old and my mothers boyfriend, who then became the step father, was watching my sister and I while my mother was out who knows where. A man by the name of Mike Micheals knocked on the door and came in. He was a huge man that stood 6'5" weighed around 300 pounds and was as strong as an ox. He let himself in and the two of them went straight to the small bar in the family room where I was watching TV. Not sure what the alcohol was but it was the hard stuff and they were slamming it fast from rock glasses. Since Mike was an alcoholic and was bigger than Paul he could obviously drink more but he tried to keep up. Paul became very drunk and was mumbling and stumbling around the family room. I kept him upright long enough to get him to the couch and started to take care of him. Got his shoes off and rolled him onto the couch enough so he wouldn't fall out of it and covered him with a blanket. I knew from family get together s to have a decent sized bucket nearby so I got two, a roll of paper towel and a small wet wash cloth. I never thought he was going to stop throwing up so I was getting scared. My mother finally came home after 1am and started screaming at Paul which made him throw up even more.

Good times

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I don't completely abstain, but I used to drink... A Lot. Coming from a long line of what I call "functioning alcoholics" ( mostly successful, homeowners, families, etc.) I Used to buy a half keg and it would last a weekend (if that)... No, not a party, just a few buds and me. I like alcohol. Not the getting drunk part, but the taste of it. It's like water to me. Now, I'll have a few drinks here and there, but rarely more than just a few. I wouldn't be able to afford a mortgage (or food as it used to be). A case of beer will last weeks instead of hours. Being in my early 30's, it's astonishing how many my age, and OLDER, live the night life style still. Bars, one night stands (although I was never a fan of these), night clubs (or these), bar hopping, etc. I just don't understand how any adult with ANY type of responsibility can have the time or the money for it. Thankfully, the cost and time of alcohol outweighed the benefits. Going to a bar and paying $4.50 for a Corona Light is a sin. I realized a long time ago it's better to be sober.

I'm sure it's healthier, although I never lost or gained weight thanks to an atypical case Cushing's Disease.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Haven't made the decision yet
    But i drink beer every day. But it is getting old. But just haven't made up my mind to do it

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have a drink every once in a while. I had one beer a month ago only because I owed a guy a 12 pack from a lost bet. It was probably a few months before that since the one before.

I grew up in construction, on the job since I could walk. Every summer, spring break, and most light holidays I worked. My cousin and I would work the summers together in our early teens with our dads. When time to roll up came one guy made a beer run. A few hours later we would be finally headed home. We would share a beer and not even finish it. Our dads on the other hand...........

All the beer an early teen could drink and I just didn't want it. I didn't have a taste for it.

I was the designated driver in high school because I didn't participate. Fast forward to a year of community college and time to drink again. Generally three nights a week at the parties.

Once back in construction I only drank when we went out maybe once a week. Then I met my wife and the going out stopped so the drinking stopped too. I have a drink on occasion but it is very seldom.

With the raising of my kids and my tactical awareness drinking just doesn't fit in my mind set. Drinking seems to be the opposite of being prepared.

Plus my wife and I both come from alcoholic backgrounds (the jolly drunks, not the abusive drunks) so we generally avoid it. It might be too easy to follow in our families shoes.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Alcohol can aggravate a medical issue, so none for me. Its been right at two years. As much as I love peach Moonshine and Mountain Dew (I call it the Dew over and over and over..) a trip to the ER just isn't worth it.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I don't normally drink. It's not my first choice; but I will to be sociable...sometimes

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I don't completely abstain, but I used to drink... A Lot. Coming from a long line of what I call "functioning alcoholics" ( mostly successful, homeowners, families, etc.) I Used to buy a half keg and it would last a weekend (if that)... No, not a party, just a few buds and me. I like alcohol. Not the getting drunk part, but the taste of it. It's like water to me. Now, I'll have a few drinks here and there, but rarely more than just a few. I wouldn't be able to afford a mortgage (or food as it used to be). A case of beer will last weeks instead of hours. Being in my early 30's, it's astonishing how many my age, and OLDER, live the night life style still. Bars, one night stands (although I was never a fan of these), night clubs (or these), bar hopping, etc. I just don't understand how any adult with ANY type of responsibility can have the time or the money for it. Thankfully, the cost and time of alcohol outweighed the benefits. Going to a bar and paying $4.50 for a Corona Light is a sin. I realized a long time ago it's better to be sober.

I'm sure it's healthier, although I never lost or gained weight thanks to an atypical case Cushing's Disease.

Living in Texas made me quit as well. I've read the stories and watched the videos of police forcibly taking blood at the side of the road. My wife and I will not drink when we are out. We never have alcohol in our system when there is a chance of the DPS strapping us down and taking and taking it from us. I'm still amazed to see people out stumbling around at places like "Shops of Legacy" not knowing how close they are to getting handled, their blood taken, sitting in jail and their lives fucked beyond belief. We hide at home and never drink outside.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Used to be a daily drinker. A six pack a day, and more on the weekends. Since I retired, it's just not as much fun anymore. About 2 years ago, I became an occasional drinker. Maybe a six pack a week.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Occasional drinker - I have a family history of alcoholism, so I'm very careful and rarely even drink enough to have a "buzz". I've only actually been drunk a handful of times in my life. I'll have an occasional beer with dinner, or a few drinks at a party, or a scotch before bedtime, but not on any sort of regular basis. A bottle of scotch lasts me a year or more.

Top Bottom