Guns International

Any thougts on bill pre-filed by Texas Rep. Terry Meza; HB 196: AN ACT relating to the use of deadly force in defense of a person or property

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    I read the TTAG op-ed on this bill. I'm a little confused. Some states have this "duty to retreat" for all victims of crime regardless on your location (home, convenience store, church) but it appears this applies only to your home. Anyone have a clear read on what this bill, if passed, would actually do?
    Hurley's Gold

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I read the TTAG op-ed on this bill. I'm a little confused. Some states have this "duty to retreat" for all victims of crime regardless on your location (home, convenience store, church) but it appears this applies only to your home. Anyone have a clear read on what this bill, if passed, would actually do?

cporfe,

The SHORT ANSWER is that a person who is defending home, loved ones & him/her self from a predator would essentially have to PROVE that the homeowner did everything possible avoid shedding the blood of a VICIOUS PREDATOR.

Having introduced that bill at all should be JUST CAUSE for the MORON who introduced it to be VOTED OUT of public office by the citizens of Texas FOREVER.

ImVho, ALL of the current DIMocRATS are UNFIT to serve in any office of public trust, from the local ISD to the WH.

yours, satx

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    cporfe,

The SHORT ANSWER is that a person who is defending home, loved ones & him/her self from a predator would essentially have to PROVE that the homeowner did everything possible avoid shedding the blood of a VICIOUS PREDATOR.

Having introduced that bill at all should be JUST CAUSE for the MORON who introduced it to be VOTED OUT of public office by the citizens of Texas FOREVER.

ImVho, ALL of the current DIMocRATS are UNFIT to serve in any office of public trust, from the local ISD to the WH.

yours, satx
    That has been the law in Massachusetts for at least 33 years that I know of and it bites. If anything, Florida has the right idea to include acts of arson, looting, and other acts in that vein, to the list of things that you do not have a requirement to retreat.

This may be nuts but I feel that theft or vandalism is stealing part of a persons life. They worked part of their life to acquire those things or will have to work to repair vandalism. That part of their life can not be replaced. I will go further to say that "white collar" crime is just as bad as any other crime and if more of those criminals went to real prison as opposed to Club Fed, there might be less white collar crime.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

We have an entire section devoted to gun legislation, and you can keep an eye on all the pre-filed (and later, filed) bills here:

Similar bills to HB196 have been introduced and died in committee ever since concealed carry came here in the 90s. Personally, I think HB196 will die in committee, but with a new speaker and new committee assignments, anything is possible.

That jackass Bonnen spent all of last session doing his best to allow shit like this to happen by putting Ds like Pancho Nevarez as chairs on important committees. Thankfully neither of those douchebags will be back in the legislature for the next session.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Aus Schwaben,

There are "white collar crimes" that, imVho, do not deserve long/severe prison sentences BUT crimes like arson, looting, rioting, rape, child molestation, kidnapping for ransom, robbery, burglary while armed & other similar felonies fully deserve LONG sentences to mainline prisons or DEATH.

Further, imo, IF a person commits or attempts to commit any of those VIOLENT FELONIES, they "have assumed the risk" of their life being ended by a homeowner, proprietor of the business, the agent of the business's ownership and/or by a LEO.

just my opinion, satx
    USAMPR, Retired

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Frankly, my method of thought is regardless of what law they may propose or even pass, I feel no obligation to "retreat" within my home or property. I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by six.

My house and property, so my rules. If the bad guys don't like my rules, then it's in their best interests to leave me be. I don't go looking for trouble, but I also ain't running either.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    When someone decides to rob an individual or a store, or when they decide to break into someone's house, that individual has decided that it's OK to hurt or kill anyone who tries to stop him. In most cases, the criminal isn't going to get more than $50, so that's how much he values human life.

This thing going on now about trying to prevent criminals from getting killed is based one the idea that the criminal shouldn't die for stealing $50. In Texas, that's already the case - you can't chase a burglar down the street and shoot him. It's not about the money, it's about the danger posed to the victim during the criminal act. Any law that would punish the victim for defending himself during a criminal act is wrong and belongs in the Legislature's shredder.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    When someone decides to rob an individual or a store, or when they decide to break into someone's house, that individual has decided that it's OK to hurt or kill anyone who tries to stop him. In most cases, the criminal isn't going to get more than $50, so that's how much he values human life.

This thing going on now about trying to prevent criminals from getting killed is based one the idea that the criminal shouldn't die for stealing $50. In Texas, that's already the case - you can't chase a burglar down the street and shoot him. It's not about the money, it's about the danger posed to the victim during the criminal act. Any law that would punish the victim for defending himself during a criminal act is wrong and belongs in the Legislature's shredder.
    And any legislators who propose such bullshit....
    1607254391711.png

Then

1607254482712.png

And that's being nice.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Any legislator that proposes or introduces any bill that would protect or grant more rights to a criminal being in a person's house, or on their property without permission, is an idiot.

That is just beyond ridiculous. A man's home is his castle. The very one place a person should feel safe and secure, and in the very least, that can use up to deadly force to protect it, and it's occupants. That should never be compromised in any way.

Top Bottom