Any tricks to reducing leading from soft lead bullets?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enochwel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2015
    Non-jacketed soft lead.

I'm thinking to coat bore of the barrel with lubricant but wonder if the heat and pressure would eliminate the coating after the first shot. Though evaporation is a function of both heat and time. I would think the pressure alone would negate the effort. Any ideas? Any novel ideas I can have for free?

I do clean my revolver after use, but just like cooking, I'm sure it gets a seasoning no matter how much I clean it (in that sense; could a minimal soft lead deposit be a good thing? I know the official answer is no [pits etc]..., but I'm talking about the leftovers after the wire brush)

Last edited:

Rottweiler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Hill Country
    Just about anything you could coat the bore with would be gone after the first shot or two. A harder lead alloy will lead less. Slowing the bullet speed a little also works. Maybe a different bullet lube, harder or softer than your current one. Then there's the hot new idea of powder coating the bullets.

Pawpaw40

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    East Texas
    Make sure your velocities are on the low side. Slug your barrel, and make sure the bullets are sized .001-.002" larger than the bore. You can also use gas checks. From what I understand undersizing bullets is the greatest contributor to barrel leading. I have also read that powder coating allows for higher velocities without leading.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    What Pawpaw said. .356-.357 bullets in a .38/.357 revolver can cause some serious leading issues. .358-.359 is better. I size mine to .358 and have ZERO leading issues regardless of the velocity or alloy

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    lower velocity.
    Do you have an idea what the FPS is now?

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Powder selection is also important. A hot burning powder like Titegroup can contribute to the issue. But the biggest issue is undersized bullets as others have mentioned.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
    silencers
    third coast
    DK Firearms
    Tyrant Designs
    Every Day Man
    Shroud
    Shroud
    Smith Sights

Forum statistics