Any tricks to reducing leading from soft lead bullets?

Enochwel

Mar 15, 2015
Non-jacketed soft lead.

I'm thinking to coat bore of the barrel with lubricant but wonder if the heat and pressure would eliminate the coating after the first shot. Though evaporation is a function of both heat and time. I would think the pressure alone would negate the effort. Any ideas? Any novel ideas I can have for free?

I do clean my revolver after use, but just like cooking, I'm sure it gets a seasoning no matter how much I clean it (in that sense; could a minimal soft lead deposit be a good thing? I know the official answer is no [pits etc]..., but I'm talking about the leftovers after the wire brush)

Last edited:

Rottweiler

Apr 6, 2008
Hill Country
Just about anything you could coat the bore with would be gone after the first shot or two. A harder lead alloy will lead less. Slowing the bullet speed a little also works. Maybe a different bullet lube, harder or softer than your current one. Then there's the hot new idea of powder coating the bullets.

Pawpaw40

Jan 5, 2009
East Texas
Make sure your velocities are on the low side. Slug your barrel, and make sure the bullets are sized .001-.002" larger than the bore. You can also use gas checks. From what I understand undersizing bullets is the greatest contributor to barrel leading. I have also read that powder coating allows for higher velocities without leading.

robocop10mm

Jan 9, 2009
Round Rock
What Pawpaw said. .356-.357 bullets in a .38/.357 revolver can cause some serious leading issues. .358-.359 is better. I size mine to .358 and have ZERO leading issues regardless of the velocity or alloy

orbitup

Sticker Cop
TGT Supporter
Nov 6, 2010
Waxyscratchy
Maybe there are minor imperfections in the barrel that could be polished out?

Sent from.... RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

vmax

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Apr 15, 2013
lower velocity.
Do you have an idea what the FPS is now?

Recoil45

Well-Known
Feb 13, 2014
Powder selection is also important. A hot burning powder like Titegroup can contribute to the issue. But the biggest issue is undersized bullets as others have mentioned.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members