Join TexasGunTalk

Any tricks to reducing leading from soft lead bullets?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Enochwel, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Enochwel

Enochwel Member

Mar 15, 2015
    Non-jacketed soft lead.

I'm thinking to coat bore of the barrel with lubricant but wonder if the heat and pressure would eliminate the coating after the first shot. Though evaporation is a function of both heat and time. I would think the pressure alone would negate the effort. Any ideas? Any novel ideas I can have for free?

I do clean my revolver after use, but just like cooking, I'm sure it gets a seasoning no matter how much I clean it (in that sense; could a minimal soft lead deposit be a good thing? I know the official answer is no [pits etc]..., but I'm talking about the leftovers after the wire brush)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. Rottweiler

Rottweiler Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Hill Country
    Just about anything you could coat the bore with would be gone after the first shot or two. A harder lead alloy will lead less. Slowing the bullet speed a little also works. Maybe a different bullet lube, harder or softer than your current one. Then there's the hot new idea of powder coating the bullets.

3. Enochwel

Enochwel Member

Mar 15, 2015
    why didn't I think of that?

4. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Member

Jan 5, 2009
    East Texas
    Make sure your velocities are on the low side. Slug your barrel, and make sure the bullets are sized .001-.002" larger than the bore. You can also use gas checks. From what I understand undersizing bullets is the greatest contributor to barrel leading. I have also read that powder coating allows for higher velocities without leading.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    What Pawpaw said. .356-.357 bullets in a .38/.357 revolver can cause some serious leading issues. .358-.359 is better. I size mine to .358 and have ZERO leading issues regardless of the velocity or alloy

6. Charlie

Charlie "I can't think of one thing that I don't know." TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Use motor oil for barrel lube! :green:

7. orbitup

orbitup Sticker Cop TGT Supporter

Nov 6, 2010
    South of Dallas
    Maybe there are minor imperfections in the barrel that could be polished out?

Sent from.... RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

8. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    lower velocity.
    Do you have an idea what the FPS is now?

9. 00-Guy

00-Guy Member

Jul 27, 2011
    San Antonio
    Check out castboolits.com for some powder coating methods. Rangefinder's PC Tumbler Method for one method. I neglected to bookmark the other suggested approach.

10. Recoil45

Recoil45 Well-Known

Feb 13, 2014
    Powder selection is also important. A hot burning powder like Titegroup can contribute to the issue. But the biggest issue is undersized bullets as others have mentioned.