• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Good waiters and waitresses are hard to find and keep. You'll need people skills and multi tasking skills. You'll get crap shifts till you're proven.

Ask if they do tip outs at the restaurant you work at and how much those tip outs are. Sometimes after paying off the bus boy, the host and the food expediter there's not much left.

Always come out and go back in with full hands and a smile. Know the menu and what everything is on that menu. Don't let a cup run dry.

The funnest job I ever had was bussing tables. I also cooked, hosted and waited tables.

BTW, Why not bartend?
    Gun Zone Deals

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    There were a few guys in my Fraternity that worked at Kings Inn down in Riviera, long drive from most anywhere, but GREAT food.
    They would bring in a couple hundred a night on weekends, & this was 30+ yrs. ago.....

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Though I'm not one now, I did the waiter thing in my mid to late teens. It's a tough job. Harder than any retail job I ever did for sure. But, if you are focused on your customers, and give them the same service you'd like, and NOT worry about the back of the house bs, you can easily make 50-100 bucks a shift. I averaged about 80 bucks a shift back in the eighties, at a Denny's. So if you can into a decent restaurant, say a 4 or 5 star joint, you should easily double that.

Good luck.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    the thing i look for in a good waiter is the status of my tea glass. thats how i judge a good waiter
    I once had a secretary who was an all-around bitch. When the workgroup went out to lunch, she used the same criteria to judge the service. However, for her, the way to test the server was to wait until the servers had taken care of everything and asked us if we were OK. We'd say yes and they'd move their attention to other tasks.

She'd wait a minute, then she'd drain her tea glass in one big gulp. Instantly, she'd extend her arm straight up in the air, holding the tea glass, and start rattling the ice until someone came to refill it.

Even if the server appeared in 10 seconds, she'd glare at them, continue rattling her ice for a while (to show everyone that the server was her slave), then allow the glass to be refilled. After that, she'd give us the same speech, every time, about how the servers were inattentive and she was going to leave a tip of $0.

I said all that to say this: Customers can be jerks. Big Phil, how well do you handle jerks?

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I judge wait staff on how well they treat me and take care of me. As I am often alone, that tends to separate those that are good from those that are horrible as most don't pay attention to the lone person because a full table has a higher tip probability. You don't take care of me, you get little to nothing depending on how bad you are. However, if you treat me well, then you will be rewarded as such. Unfortunately I've only had one that truly stands out in my memory. This waitress went above and beyond. Best damn waitress I've ever seen. I was going to tip her $20 on like a $7 meal because she treated me like I was her only customer, even though there were larger tables for her as well. Sadly, her shift ended before I was done. I tried to find her, but was told she had already left. I wasn't about to give that tip to the one after that only brought the check.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Become a consultant and charge a bunch of money for answers the client already knows by affirming their ideas or stealing them outright from employees who have the ideas but can't get upper management to listen.

Last edited:

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Hi Phil. Having met you a couple times, I feel confident saying I think you have the stuff to be a high-end waiter. As others have pointed out though, it might be hard to get that job without cutting your teeth at a bottom-tier restaurant. However, if you impress the high-end manager enough and prove that you are a quick learner, you never know what might happen.

As an example, we've eaten several times at Luke, downtown. Last time we were there, the waitress had a shadow the whole time. I gathered he was an apprentice, and we asked at the meal's end. Turns out he has a white collar job across the street and used to eat at Luke all the time. He's single, young, talented, and bored, so he approached the manager. Sure enough, the manager said, "Follow her around for a while. If she's convinced you can do what she does, you're hired."

Here's what I would do: pick a restaurant you want to work at. Eat there one night (maybe just get dessert if the place is expensive--and it outta be!). See if they have a paper menu you can take with you when you leave, or get one online. Learn that sucker. When you get an interview, ask the manager for an opportunity to show your initiative by discussing something off the menu. Might work, might not. Can't hurt!

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I was a Corp manager for the Lion and Rose restaurant/Pubs. I would say try them but, you'd have to wear a short Kilt and tight shirt....

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"

Top Bottom