Texas SOT

Any Walther P99 Owners? Need your thoughts.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Copperas Cove
    I have been looking to buy another pistol lately and was considering a P99 but am not sure which model. I already have a 9MM Beretta PX4, so I was thinking about the .40SW If you have one of these or the 9MM could you please give me your thoughts on it, or if you have owned one in the past what you didn't like about it and what you have instead. Thanks.
    Hurley's Gold

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I bough a 40 cal version a while back. It was the standard version not the QA one. The gun was very reliable and accurate, especially on the "SA" shots as that side of the action was very crisp. The "DA" side of the equation was so-so for me. The down side of the gun was that the 40 version was just not fun to shoot. I have since fired a couple of other 40's and I must say that the P99 was by far the most unfun 40 to shoot. My hands would ache for days after a range session. Not sure if it just didnt fit my hands well or what, but it went away after a few months of trying to get used to it. I just didnt enjoy shooting it. Obviously my opinion is subjective, so take it with a grain of salt, but if at all possible rent one in 40 and shoot a couple of hundred rounds through it to make sure you like it. Mechanically it was flawless though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    I have had a few, and still have one. What kind of actions do you like the best?

The P99 DAO I bought used for a very good price but I just never got used to the trigger so I sold it. If you like double action only, this is you guy. It was 9mm.

The P99 QA Quick action was like a Glock with a decoker button. This one was 40SW and was kind of neat. After I jacked a round into the chamber I could carry "ready to go" like a Glock, or I could press the button and decock it. To recock it the slide only has to be pull back about a 1/2" or less. I found it was pretty easy to do this by pulling the gun and by pushing the rear sight against my jeans, recock the gun. This would be handy if your other arm was injured or fending off an attacker. It was interesting but I ended up getting rid of it when I discovered I like carrying comact 9's over full size 40's.

The other two were the P99 AS flavor, one was 4" the other is the compact P99cAS, both 9mm. I prefer this one over the others. I'm a DA/SA fan and this model has good trigger pull in both DA and SA and it is pretty accurate, at least as accurate as my Glock 17 but not as accurate as my FNP-9. The P99AS was a 4" gun so I wasn't going to carry it so I got rid of it too. I still have the compact though. I carry it rarely prefering to carry SIGS. I still have the FNP9 too and will probably keep it as a truck gun.

Hope this helps.

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    My dad had a P99 DAO and that thing was a POS! Had to send it to the manufacture TWICE for problems and when it came back the second time it was still having problems(roll pin would pop out, trigger wouldn't reset). So my dad sold his and got an HK like I have!

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I had the QA in 9mm and liked it a lot. One of those guns that I wish I did not sell. It was a pleasure to shoot. Didn't have much of a safety though. The QA had a light trigger pull if fully cocked and I didn't want to have to "slightly" pull the slide back to fully cock it when it was in safe mode. So, I didn't use it as a CCW. I really did enjoy shooting it at the range though.:p

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I had a SW99 in .40sw (it's the S&W version). It's not quite as good of quality as a P99, though I've used them before. They are absolutely excellent guns. I still cannot figure it out but, they just never really caught on with the public. Much of it probably has to do with Walther's piss poor advertisement of the gun (IE = none). As far as I'm concerned, they have the absolute best ergonomics of ANY polymer frame auto out there right now, and yes that includes the H&K P30 and HK45. Personally, I would recommend the "AS" trigger version. It's a traditional DA/SA trigger (it has two SA modes actually) that is pretty decent. Their QA and DAO triggers I never liked, though I don't like hardly anything in DAO. ;) Personally, I also love the decocker. It's just a nice simple button you just press and your done. Simple as that.

Personally, I would recommend one in 9mm. For whatever reason, the SW99 I had in .40 felt pretty "snappy" in muzzle flip. According to the specs I've found, the .40 P99's only have a 11# recoil spring, which seems a bit low for a .40 polymer frame auto of that size. Glocks have a 16 or 18# I believe in the G23 (which is relatively comparable). Just some observations.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Much of it probably has to do with Walther's piss poor advertisement of the gun (IE = none).
    I guess ol' James can't sell guns like he used to . .

craig-brosnan.jpg

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

Hehe, yeah. Man I just do not understand it. They are great guns, reliable, have the best ergonomics, etc etc. Yet most people ignore them. Heck you can even find most of them now for the price of a good condition Glock, and they have a 10x better grip. Oh well. ;)

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro

Hehe, yeah. Man I just do not understand it. They are great guns, reliable, have the best ergonomics, etc etc. Yet most people ignore them. Heck you can even find most of them now for the price of a good condition Glock, and they have a 10x better grip. Oh well. ;)
    Yeah, I like my QA .40 just fine. It's just that James Bond sold a boatload of PPKs and I'm wondering why the P99 hasn't followed suit . . .

Nef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    I have a .40 P99 QA, the trigger on mine is really crisp, almost too crisp even after a few 1000 rounds; the trigger reset on it is pretty long to, basically it resets all the way, if you're used to a glock reset its definitely a different trigger.

I really like the ergonomics of the gun, ambi mag releases, the decocker is a nice feature, and I can't say I've had any malfunctions that I couldnt attribute to the magazines. If I manage to do my part the pistol is also more accurate than me.

I've rented a DA/SA P99 and would not purchase one based on that experience, the trigger was horrible on the gun, but that was probably due to the abuse it's taken as a range gun.

Viper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Copperas Cove
    Thanks for all the comments...I am thinking I am going to go with the AS in 9mm if I decide on it I think I am going to try to find a range where I can rent one to shoot first. If anyone else has any more comments please keep them coming.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom