Any wannabe kydex sheathmakers? (preferrably in the Austin area)

Mic

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jan 3, 2009
Austin
So....have been dabbling in Kydex and need some practice?

I've got a Gerber Profile that I would like to get a kydex sheath for.
However, this was an inexpensive knife and I can't see spending a big bundle on a sheat.

But...if you are a Kydex dabbler or want to get started, let me know.
I can pay for materials for you to get some practice or just pay a small fee, knowing I won't get a custom sheath from an experienced maker.

Let me know if you have any interest.

I'm in the Austin area.

Mic

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jan 3, 2009
Austin
You sure need to stop by sometime for a lunch. We've got a real good group that keeps the turnout high.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
Mar 23, 2011
Dallas
Maybe eventually. Unfortunately I don't intend to, nor do I really want to for that matter, return for a while. Nothing against y'all, just some issues I'd rather let stay undisturbed. lol

Texasjack

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jan 3, 2010
Occupied Texas
The reason I ask is because a good sheathmaker would need to know what you're hoping to accomplish. Things like: "I hunt in wet areas and want to keep the knife dry" or "I want the sheath to match other equipment I have", etc. I know a guy who's very good at kydex, but I know he's very busy right now and can't do it. I've made a few kydex sheaths, but they were for specific mounting arrangements, and it doesn't seem like that's something you're interested in. If you really want to cut costs, go to texas knifemaker's supply web site and they have instructions for doing it yourself. Heat it, bend it, let it cool - it's not complicated.

As for Rusty's "Because it's better than leather" comment, that's just wrong in every way. Leather is more flexible, it looks nicer, it's just as tough (when built right), and it's quiet when moving through brush, etc. The statement is also wrong - or at least weak - because "better" doesn't convey HOW you think it's better. Again, the specifics for comparison are important when trying to design a sheath.

Mic

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jan 3, 2009
Austin
I have not run across any $10 sheaths. As far as material, I'm not opposed.to leather. Planned use is EDC.
I would like to have it mounted to ride high - such that the top of the belt is level with the top of the blade.
Oh, and cheap. This is an inexpensive knife and I cannot justify spending a big wad on the sheath.

Top Bottom