• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken800

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    I'm sitting on 60 acres and have contemplated building a poor man's 3-gun setup that could host very small groups...

I need some welding help to make some rebar-based clay pidgeon holders - maybe a dozen or so from cut rebar. I would also like to weld up a half dozen frames to hold some ar500 plates to shoot from 75-150.

And maybe some knock downs again from angle iron and AR500 steel.

If you help me weld it (I'll buy all materials) you can come blast away at it once it's all set up...
    Target Sports

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Would help to know where you're at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Sounds like the perfect opportunity for you to pick up a small wire fed welder and practice.

If you don't have electricity then it will get a little more expensive.

Welding isn't hard to do for hobby purposes. At least for what you are looking for anyways.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Keep your eye on Craigslist for materials too, and maybe put up a want to buy ad. Steel scrap prices are in the crapper right now so people are building up junk piles.

Right now it just isn't worth hauling it to the recycling center.

Buying new materials can get spendy fast.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    A wire feed is very easy to use, even for a klutz like me. And it's fun to DIY. Highly recommend you pick up a welder that runs on regular house voltage, a helmet, gloves, wire and go to it. BTW, Though my garage has a 220 outlet for my welder I also have made a jumper to use a dryer outlet if dong something at someone else's house.

ken800

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    It's not the welder so much as I don't have a 30AMP anywhere yet. I do want to learn how to weld but I know that I want a 220 and enough amps to be able to do it right...

I'm in NE round rock but my property is 1 hour east of round rock.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It's not the welder so much as I don't have a 30AMP anywhere yet. I do want to learn how to weld but I know that I want a 220 and enough amps to be able to do it right...

I'm in NE round rock but my property is 1 hour east of round rock.
    A 110v wire fed welder will work on most house circuits if it is alone. Most will weld steel up to a quarter inch thick.

You could always build the stuff at home and haul it to the property. Not ideal but it works.

If time wasn't against me right now I would gladly show you my little "hobby" setup and you could decide if it will do what you need to do.

While I wouldn't tackle anything severely structural, getting two pieces to hold for my tinkering is not a problem at all.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Dawico is right. My little harbor freight runs on 110 at 15 amp without blowing the circuit. It does weld up to 1/4" plate and even came with a cart, helmet and gloves for about $100. I would recommend an angle grinder for setting your bevels. Some scrap steel and you can teach yourself with a little help From YouTube. Once you get the hang of it you can build all sorts of things. BBQ pits, utility trailers, brace new world.

One thing though. It has a 1-10 duty cycle. For every minute you spend welding the machine should rest for 10 minutes. That's not a problem for me.

ken800

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    My wife and I live about three miles west of Rockdale, just off of 79.
    I've got a 220 volt Lincoln MIG PAK 15 which would be more than adequate to at least get you started. Sounds like I might be on the way to your place.

Sounds like a plan and you are really close! I have ordered some stuff pre-made but I still want to make more. My "vision" of a 3-gun that I can actually afford to set up:

5 - 3" knock down targets (ordered)
    5 - 4" knock down targets (ordered)
    5 - 5" knock down targets (ordered)

5 - 5" plates to make homemade poppers. It'll be manual, of course (ordered)

3- 7x12 IDPA "man" plates that I'll set up at 75, 100, and 125 (ordered)

still want to make: (need some welding!)

clay pigeon holders (about 10 or so in a couple different heights)
    dueling tree-like stand not so much for dueling but "must knock all to one side" as part of a course
    some kind of really heavy popper that will launch a clay target when knocked down. This may be too hard to make and I'll have to buy.

All in all, this would give me about 15 pistol on knock downs, 15 or so on simple targets, 6 rifle (twice on each perhaps), and about 15 shotgun.

By doubling up on the idpa silhouettes, I can probably get about 60 or so rounds down range with varying difficulties and then run it like a standard three gun with it being timed. I'm guessing a few friends would like to play on it...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom