• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    I just bought my first welder - a "Hobart Handler 187 Welder" on special offer at Tractor Supply. I decided on MIG as it appeared to be the easiest to learn from scratch.
    Anyway, I'm looking for an auto-darkening welding mask. Having spent weeks picking the right welder, I don't want to go through this whole process again to find the right mask. I'm going to be using the welder to repair my farm implements in my workshop, but also using it outdoors in bright sunlight to put together a pipe fence around my place, put up a couple of simple structures (horse run-ins) and eventually build the new bigger barn; yep, I better get the hang of good welding, quickly.
    I don't want to spend a fortune.

Anyone offer any do's and don'ts.

I figure visible area (lens size), lens quality, are factors; what else?

thanks !
    Lynx Defense

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    Not too sure about masks. BUT, I've used a MIG quite a bit, used to restore old Volkswagens. I've also found that the best weld on a MIG is with the gas attachment, the weld comes out great and uniform. I'm sure yours has a gas valve. Got friends that do welding, I'll ask them about the mask.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    WeldingDepot -- Auto Darkening Helmet Powerweld View 1.58" x 3.54" Solar Variable Shade 9 - 13

This one looks reasonable. For the amount amd type of work you'll be doing seems good. Unless you plan on wearing the mask down all/most the time. They have all sorts or cool welding stuff.

WELDSMILEY.gif

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    If I needed a helmet I would first ask this guy.

jeffmann at email.com

He goes by ArcWelder76 on SIGforum and Arc on 2aforum (where he is a mod). The man has years of professional welding experience and is always happy to share his wisdom.

Top Bottom