• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRook

Jun 22, 2008
    East Houston Area
    Performance Center Firearms - Model 629 - .44 Magnum Hunter Revolver, 7.5"

[url]http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&productId=54425&tabselected=buynow&parent_category_rn=15714&isFirearm=Y[/URL]

I thinking of getting one of these and I want to know if anyone has shot one before or own one. Any and all info welcome.

darkrook-albums-pistols-picture423-170277-large.jpg

Squid13

Jun 9, 2009
    DFW/Norfolk
    A friend of mine has one named Julie, and it's my favorite gun of all time. Feels fine with .44Spl or Mag. The gun shoots better than I do.

DarkRook

Jun 22, 2008
    East Houston Area
    :patriot:
    Well mainly because I only like to have guns that have a caliber that’s been around awhile, like 40 years or so, cuz you can find the ammo anywhere most of the time. With the 44, I have the option of 44 mag or spl.
    Secondly, I like the 44mag cal and its ballistics.
    Third, the 44 is a big enough hand cannon for me.
    I love my Ruger Red Hawk, but I want somethink a little more aligned with hunting purposes.
    Forth, It really looks cool, and is that not one of the reason why we own certon guns.
    Other odd calibers you have to reload yourself or have to buy spl and pay extra for.

Calibers like 45acp, 45lc, 380, 9mm, 270, 7mm mag, 308, 223, 22-250, and 22rim are common no matter where you go in the US. Yes there are others, but these are the only ones I really care for.

I have a 17hmr, and its fun to shoot, and I got the rifle for a good price and the ammo is fairly common even thought it has not been around a long time it is pretty popular.

I went in to Wally world the other day in the afternoon and all the shelves were bare, but for 17hmr and there were 19 boxes of it.

Well thats my 2 and my opinon and you know what they say about thoses right?

Thanks for the feed back.

tmd11111

Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    Well mainly because I only like to have guns that have a caliber that’s been around awhile, like 40 years or so, cuz you can find the ammo anywhere most of the time. With the 44, I have the option of 44 mag or spl.

With the .460 mag you also have the choice of shooting .45LC and .454Casull. I have the Performance Center 10.5" model and it makes my old SRH .44mag seem like a kiddy toy. Not saying that the .44 is underpowered in any way, its just that the .460 has so many more options. I'd say the only down side though is it makes a lousy CCW

DarkRook

Jun 22, 2008
    East Houston Area
    I have never shot a 454, but I have seen someone shooting one. The recoil and fire power the it packs is more then I desire.
    No I am not a fraid of it or recoil. I just feel that bullet placement, control, follow up shots, are just as important as the punch it packs. So my beleave is if one can not put 3 round downrange and hit a target muchless a moving target with in 15secs or less then it would not be a good hunting tool.
    Example; At 100 yards with my Ruger 6" with 44mag round, no rest standing with a two hand grip, I can hit the bullssi with about a 1" moa with 3 rounds with in 15 secs.
    Yes that is using a pistal scope. I have it setup that way for hunting for what every medium to large game I want to. If I were to go bear hunting then i would want something bigger then a 44.
    I don't see the point in over kill. What ever I shoot will still be just as dead with either cal and with in the range of the weapon.
    The reason I'm interested in the 44 in this SnW PC setup is it would reduce the recoil mussel clime some with having a little longer barrel, and the mussel brake, and the longer barrel should have better accuracey at a further distances. Though I am not trying to use it to snip anything. Having a scope mounted on it would to me look a lot cleaner and have a better weight and profile then the current setup I have now. Mainly more balance.
    I got my Red Hawk used for a good price and have been very happy with it and the ballistics of the 44.

I just wanted to know if anyone out there had one and was happy with it, or if there was something that I might need to know before hand.

I have a SnW 686 357 and it is just sweet fun to shoot or what ever.
    Before I buy a firearm pistol or what ever it is thats going to cost me over 5oo, I do research and do my best to insure it is something I'm going to be happy with.
    But thats just me, I don't go buy big money things on a whim.

tmd11111

Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    At 100 yards with my Ruger 6" with 44mag round, no rest standing with a two hand grip, I can hit the bullssi with about a 1" moa with 3 rounds with in 15 secs.

That I gotta see to believe.

And I'm glad I'm in Iraq right now cause I definately wouldnt want to get some of that on my shoe's.

tmd11111

Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    I'm still trying to figure out what is funnier....Reading about his marksmanship or the coffee that spewed out of my nose and all over my keyboard when I read it....

DarkRook

Jun 22, 2008
    East Houston Area
    I stopped caring what other thought a long time ago. I don't bs, and or make up stuff. I don't have to. That said.

A football field is really not that far, it is only 3oo feet.

I hit what I aim at. I stated ABOUT a 1 inch MOA, so it might be 1.5 or so. Who really cares. It has no effect on you. Now if you would like to see me do it. You are welcome to come watch. Really, I'm serious, when ever your ready just let me know.

Also if you think it is not possiable check on U-tub for long distance shooting stuff. There is a guy on there shooting a revolver open sited at more then 100 yards or so. Some thing like that. Also I think I was linked to it from one of the threads on here. Look it up.

I also can put 3 rounds with my 270 in less the a 1" MOA at 1000 yards. This was done from a supported shooting position. Just the other day I put 3 shots with an AR10/308 in to a paper target at 500 yards with less then 1" MOA. I had never shot it before and it was a friends rifle and he wanted to know if it was really zeroed well.
    I still have this target at home.
    So wade all ya want with your boots, I have a slicker suit.

"Real knowledge is knowing the extent of one's ingorance."
    - Confucius

tmd11111

Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    I also can put 3 rounds with my 270 in less the a 1" MOA at 1000 yards. This was done from a supported shooting position. Just the other day I put 3 shots with an AR10/308 in to a paper target at 500 yards with less then 1" MOA. I had never shot it before and it was a friends rifle and he wanted to know if it was really zeroed well.

And here I was thinking the funny smell in Iraq was because they don't bathe over here.

High-Cap, can I barrow your waders....

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I also can put 3 rounds with my 270 in less the a 1" MOA at 1000 yards. This was done from a supported shooting position.

I know you're done with this thread and all, but after this latest claim, I just couldn't ignore it. Where do you shoot? I'd like to be there for one of your range sessions in the near future. I am kinda booked up the rest of this month, but how about sometime in July?

Big country

TGT Addict
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I've been staying out of this and will continue to do so, but I just had to comment on that gear. That is a sweet rifle and some sweet shooting, KUDOS to the guy that made that shot, a 1,000 yrd hit is no small accomplishment. But three is awesome!
    As for the bull shit debate you never know either way until you see them shoot!
    And were did that big ass hole in the middle come from? That looks like a fity!

Top Bottom