• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    I did yesterday when I got back from spending the weekend camping on the Guadalupe. I had borrowed my dads truck and kept my CZ-75BD in the center console. When I got home I was tired smelly and very sore from the weekend. So when I got home I only grabbed essentials from the truck and left it parked in my garage. I had 2 pillows pillows sitting on top of his tool box with the gun sitting on top of them. I grabbed a few things from the bed and then reached for the pillows.

Forgot all about it and fell to the ground. Surprisingly, no damage except for the magazine floor plate that is bent up in the front.

Can anyone else chime in?
    Target Sports

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    HA HA! I have a CZ 75 B .40 and I dropped it caught it and it went off and now there is a .40 cal hole in the wall going straight into the back yard. :banghead: Trust me when I say DO NOT catch or try to catch it just let it fall. and I'm glad you didn't hurt the gun.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    You are not alone.
    I've dropped, kicked and had a few folks shooting my gin fly from their hands.
    Never had any real damage occur;Scuff, nicks and scratches.
    To me guns are tools and all tools get beat up to some extent just in regular use.
    Some folks freak out when they get a scratch but IMO why????
    These are items designed for rough treatment and should handle most common abuses.
    Chill and make it a learning experience.
    Before doing anything ask yourself "where is that gun?"

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Dropped my USPc twice.

First time was the day after I got it, I didn't have a holster for it yet and was carrying it "mexican style" walking up a couple of flights of stairs. I watched it bounce (in slow motion it seems) down 13 cement stairs. I guess that's one way to break it in. :eek:

The second time, I was in NC rock-crawling in my old Jeep XJ. I didn't have doors on it and I kept the USPc in the center concole. Well with all the bouncing I was doing I guess the concole lid came open and the UPSc fell out of the XJ, sliding down the rock and I ending up running over it with my rear tire.

Still to this day (11 years of hard abuse later) it still shoots just as good...if not better...than the day I got it.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Was the hammer cocked before you dropped it?
    Yes and it was not suppose to have a round chambered. The ammo gremlin got me! Any way it fell I went to catch it and bumped the safety and the trigger at the same time. It was my fault the gun went off but it will make you extra careful from that day on.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston

Thanks. Reason I asked is that we had a discussion around here somewhere where I was stating that, to me, it seemed unlikely to accidentally fire a shot in double-action mode when grabbing a handgun as it was falling. I just wanted to see if you were proving me wrong. LOL

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yes and it was not suppose to have a round chambered. The ammo gremlin got me! Any way it fell I went to catch it and bumped the safety and the trigger at the same time. It was my fault the gun went off but it will make you extra careful from that day on.
    So the gun didn't "go off"; you fired it.

It is instinctive to try to catch one, and danged difficult to stop yourself. Glad you didn't get hurt.

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    Dropped my USPc twice.

First time was the day after I got it, I didn't have a holster for it yet and was carrying it "mexican style" walking up a couple of flights of stairs. I watched it bounce (in slow motion it seems) down 13 cement stairs.

Did something similar. Was at my girlfriends house one night and they had been having problems with the neighbors So I took the same CZ and went to go answer the door when someone knocked. I had lost a little bit of weight and stuck the pistol in the back of my shorts. It slips and goes right down my shorts leg and proceeds to tumble down end over end down the stairs. It didn't bother me much that time because the stairs were carpeted. It did hit my toe though.

Yesterday did bother because it was concrete.

In over 30 years of shooting and hunting, I can't recall ever dropping a firearm. Just extra-lucky, I guess.

Guess so.

whit128

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Central Texas, Williamson County
    About 8 years ago there was a company out of California (GFCC) that had imported a bunch of surplus M1 carbines from overseas. They were selling the carbines to LE only for $150.00 with one 30 round magazine. I purchased one but my chief was not interested and said that the gun would be junk for $150.00. About 6 weeks later my Underwood M1 carbine with all original parts and stock arrived. When I unwrapped it my chief said "I told you it was going to be junk". That carbine was in good shape with a few dings and dents but my chief continued to nag on me about my "junky" rifle. I finally asked if he knew the difference between my $150.00 carbine and his $850.00 AR15, he said yea mine is better. After making sure the chamber was clear I raised that carbine to chest level and dropped it onto the floor I the asked he try that with his AR15 with all his attachments, he declined and shutup. I still have that carbine and it shoots great I just wish it could speak as I am sure it has some incredible stories.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    So the gun didn't "go off"; you fired it.

It is instinctive to try to catch one, and danged difficult to stop yourself. Glad you didn't get hurt.
    Correct If I had not caught it, it probably would not have fired. I say "probably" because I do not know what would have happened had I not caught the weapon. I think it would not have fired if I would have let it fall. And on A side note, nothing in my life including any of the bull's I've been on made me feel more stupid, scared and confused than that gun firing when it was not suppose to. And it taught me a valuable lesson that will be with me until I'm dead. :banghead:

bonehead1185

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos/Lake Dallas, Tx
    I guess I could say I dropped my gun but it was really me and the gun falling with me landing on it. I was putting the screens back on at my girlfriend's mom's house on the second story. I was on the ladder about to put the screen on when the wind gusted and caught the screen making me loose balance which caused the ladder to shake. Normally I would have had my girlfriend holding the ladder but she was grabbing the next screen for me . Well the ladder started slipping on the angled driveway and the only thing that popped into my head was "This is gonna hurt so relax!" Luckily for me as the ladder was sliding down my shins hit the rung and prevented my legs from slipping in between them, which could have broken my legs, and I fell pretty much straight down.

I landed semi on my feet and rolled onto my back right onto my gun. The first thing I did was have my girlfriend remove the gun from under my back and place it in my car just incase we needed paramedics, I was not sure if anything was broken at that moment since everything was numb.

Luckily nothing happened to the gun, not even a scratch on it, but I got several large scrapes and some permanent bruises on my shins. After that incident it just proves to me that the safety features work like they were designed to .

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    HA HA! I have a CZ 75 B .40 and I dropped it caught it and it went off and now there is a .40 cal hole in the wall going straight into the back yard. :banghead: Trust me when I say DO NOT catch or try to catch it just let it fall. and I'm glad you didn't hurt the gun.

Not trying to catch it is what "they" say is the best option, especially with the likes of a Glock. (I think that's what happend to Plaxico Burris) But unless you drill that into your head, natural reflexes will make you grab for it. I don't think typical DA/SA pistols are a big danger, as most have DA triggers in the 9 lb area, which even if you caught it square on the trigger wouldn't likely discharge it. But it's still said to just let them go.

I've never dropped a loaded gun, but did drop my HK P2000 taking ti to the work bench for a cleaning. I wasn't holding it in the fire position, I think I just had hold of it by the top of the slide, which was open. It just slipped. I managed to break the fall with my knee, but it still slid down my leg and hit right on the side of the rear night sight. Probably with the force of being dropped 6 inches or so. No damage, other than the sight moved a tinny bit.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I think i count two cases where people carried a gun without a holster and dropped it. . . . . . . Doesn't seem like the smartest idea to me. . . . . . . .

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Not trying to catch it is what "they" say is the best option, especially with the likes of a Glock. (I think that's what happend to Plaxico Burris) But unless you drill that into your head, natural reflexes will make you grab for it. I don't think typical DA/SA pistols are a big danger, as most have DA triggers in the 9 lb area, which even if you caught it square on the trigger wouldn't likely discharge it. But it's still said to just let them go.
    I hit the safty and the trigger at the same time, being locked and cocked with the saftey on. It is never locked and cocked when loaded, but for reasons I'll never know (other than that damn ammo goblin) it was that day. I did some "testing" after the fact with a clear gun. I came to the conclusion that had I not caght it, it would not have fired. Like I tell anyone that asked, DO NOT try and catch it, I wish thier was somthing on the gun I could blame it on but their is not. I was the sole cause of the discarge, And I'm just happy noone got hurt.

GI-John

Hurry up and wait!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX
    call me crazy

One thing I never understood about the GLOCK TRIGGER SAFETY is that (to me) it doesnt really sound like a safety. If something pulls the trigger it goes off. A firearm with a switch safety that wont let that happen. TO ME THE TRIGGER SAFETY is just a little piece of metal attached to the trigger. Cause if you accidently drop it and accidently catch it, your finger could pull the trigger.
    Im not dissing glocks, I just dont understand their logic of trying to put a safety on a gun. I still want a Glock 30 though...

Top Bottom