Patriot Mobile

Anybody ever had a rifle that wont take the published cartridge OAL?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willieboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Eldorado, Texas
    Working up a load for my 25-06..Rem 700 CDL. Was wanting to run some Nosler 115gr Partions. So I'm getting my die set up to seat bullets and I'm working off the COAL in the 7th edition of the Nosler guide. Published OAL is 3.250". Tested COAL for this particular bullet is 3.200". I'm going strictly by the book on this and as I get the seating depth set, I grab the rifle to make sure the round will chamber right. (something I do for every new load) As I'm closing the bolt I feel just the slightest resistance. Eject the round and check it. It measures 3.126"???? So I immediately start checking the rifle for a fouled chamber...turns up clean. So now I'm thinking I screwed up somewhere. Try 5 more times with the same results.

This ever happen to anyone else?
    Target Sports

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Generally your cartridge overall length will NOT be the cause of a round failing to chamber. Think about it, what could the tip of the bullet be hitting inside the barrel to prevent the round from chambering?

Usually the ogive is the culprit, or improperly sized cases.

ETA when I say failure to chamber in this context I mean the COAL preventing the bolt from going into battery.
    Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Does the twist rate on your rifle work for that bullet? I am not too familiar with that round honestly.

I am just thinking a slow twist rate may be designed for shorter/ lighter bullets.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I do have some .223 loads in my Lyman manual that are hotter than other manuals (even the powder manufacturer's website).

Looking into it their COL is way longer than the round is spec'ed for.

That could be a real problem if a guy wasn't paying attention.

Willieboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Eldorado, Texas
    Rifle has 60 rounds of Remington 120gr Core-Lockts through it with no issues. Those are measuring 3.220" out of the box..it looks like the Core-Lockts have a longer ogive than the 115gr Partitions, which makes me think the partitions are meeting the lands closer to the tip, hence seating the bullet deeper. That seems to be the most likely. While I don't have a huge amount of reloading experience, I have never had a round do this that was loaded per published specs.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I'm not familiar with that particular caliber enough to provide further insight, but same diameter bullets can be designed for different calibers which might have different COAL. For example I load .308 for my AR, but using same bullet can be used for 30-06 which is quite different.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Some rifles have shorter or longer throats/leades. Weatherbys were known for having a longer leade. The ogive of the bullet can cause some bullets to contact the rifling in one rifle and not in others.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I had a very nice Winchester rifle that had a messed up chamber. I ended up sending it to Winchester and they replaced it. Factory mistakes do happen.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Last edited:

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I have a 700 in 25-06 that has a short throat and requires a shorter coal. I nust back the charge down and adjust then work back up.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I stand by my advice to get a cartridge gauge to see if your rounds are within dimensional specifications.

Assuming that the cartridge is OK, then paint a bullet with magic marker and load it into your rifle. If it shows scratch marks from the rifling when it's removed, then seat the bullet until no such marks are shown. That COAL dimension will be for your rifle using that bullet.

Flash

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I stand by my advice to get a cartridge gauge to see if your rounds are within dimensional specifications.

Assuming that the cartridge is OK, then paint a bullet with magic marker and load it into your rifle. If it shows scratch marks from the rifling when it's removed, then seat the bullet until no such marks are shown. That COAL dimension will be for your rifle using that bullet.

Flash

Great advice.
    A bit of an add on to it, take a fired case, put your thumb on the neck and push the neck against a table just hard enough to get a slight indent to hold a bullet. Seat a bullet way out on said spent/bent case then slide it into the chamber by hand, close the bolt down and when you withdraw the case the bullet will have been pushed back to your throat spec.

i usually do this then take that measurement, seat the bullet .01-.015" deeper and do what Flash suggested to make sure I'm not jamming the lands.

Top Bottom