• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilded

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Texas
    I was told it was cheaper and legal for a Texas Resident to obtain. Also that it was a lot faster than going through the system here in Texas. Just wondered if anyone had gone that way.

onecoolpilot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    I'm at work now, so I can't remember the exact dates, but it was pretty quick. I wanna say it was right at 60 days from the time they charged my Credit card to the day it was in the mailbox.

It was $70 for the class in Roanoke, and $65.25 to the state of Utah. The license is good for 5 years, and the renewal is only $10, and lasts for 5 years again.

(copied from www.crossfire-training.com)

There are a few disadvantages to a non-resident permit.

First, you will not be legal to carry in states that do not recognize a non-resident permit. (Florida, Colorado, New Hampshire)

You will not be able to bypass the instant background check when you buy a firearm from a licensed dealer.

You do not have benefit of the exemption from the federal “gun-free school zone” law that a resident permit holder has.

(end copy)

You will of course also have to deal with a lot of "why" questions from LEOs because you live in TX and are carrying on a UT permit.

If you can live with that, then by all means go for it.

Top Bottom