• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunns0902

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Cradle of Liberty, TX
    8 ppm of H2S will not kill you OSHAs PEL on H2S is higher than that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I was going to say, you can live for a short while in the presence of Hydrogen Sulfide. Just don't be there for a long time, and don't be in a confined space with it. Also you will know its there....It smells like rotten eggs. Experience: Navy Training, the Sewage System (CHT/VCHT) on board ship, is known to produce that stuff. The training goes like this; If you smell rotten eggs, and then smell nothing (it will burn out your olfactory gland) get out, close off the space, and report it so the nearest DC Locker can come back with SCBA's and those gas sniffers and find out for sure.
    Venture Surplus ad

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    8 ppm of H2S will not kill you OSHAs PEL on H2S is higher than that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

You are correct.
    PEL: 10 PPM for 8hrs/day 5 day work week.

STEL: 15 PPM 15 min at a time for 4 hrs per day with hr breaks in between

IDLH (per NIOSH): 100 PPM

Deadly Dose (per NIOSH): 600 PPM

1% H2S=10,000 PPM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Most home natural gas lines are not sized to run a whole house generator.

Natural gas from a well can vary in the BTU's by volume. On some offshore platforms I work on, the gas out of the well is too "hot" for the turbine generators, and has to be diluted.

The last time I computed the cost to run a natural gas generator to power my house it was about .14/kwh. I pay .092/ kwh right now from the local provider. Large scale generation costs .005/kwh, the rest of the cost is in transmission lines.

Last edited:

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    Might have mentioned that in your post #25.

Would have likely prevented a couple of BS calls.

We're oil guys too.

Tis true lol. Just assumed that it would be known bc 21 days at a time that's pretty much all I talk about.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Oh really. Granted I was not clear but I am an H2S Site Safety supervisor in the oilfield. So in the 22,000 PPM I was wearing an SCBA.

Around Tilden it has been reported over 44000ppm. The highest concentrations in the state are between Tilden and Charlotte.
    Be safe.

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    Around Tilden it has been reported over 44000ppm. The highest concentrations in the state are between Tilden and Charlotte.
    Be safe.

Yep some of our hands were on a 44000 part well. Birds flying over the Frac tanks were falling out of the sky dead.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Yep some of our hands were on a 44000 part well. Birds flying over the Frac tanks were falling out of the sky dead.

Same guys that took the reading said they caught a trucker opening the thief hatch to take a level without a scba. He would stand upwind and hold his breath. The trucker said he's done it a lot of times. It only takes 1 time for you to not come home to upset your family.
    Be safe, come home, and make sure everyone working with you comes home.

I've been asking around to lease operators and they said the only provisions where the landowners ask to use their gas straight from the tree are rice farmers. Apparently they use some kind of pump that uses natural gas.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've been asking around to lease operators and they said the only provisions where the landowners ask to use their gas straight from the tree are rice farmers. Apparently they use some kind of pump that uses natural gas.
    Pumps with hit-and-miss engines were once common; those things can run on any sort of fuel. They were common on farms before the REA brought electricity to the countryside but I didn't realize anyone still used them for anything other than showing them off at county fairs.

shooterstarget

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2014
    Feeding a gasoline generator for 12 days without power netted me about $500 expense. An this was using in sparingly during the day for heat, water and lights. Night time is was off till morning.

Top Bottom